List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Harley strikes me as someone who likes playing in, and winning, finals. I don't think Essendon would be a team he would ever consider.

Langford isn't quick of body, he's quick of mind it's why his first few steps look fast while guys like Ginbey or Chesser have a slow first few steps imo.

His 20m time earlier in the year was 3.2 however whilst not there I was told he stumbled the first step. Has a low max speed but a solid cruising speed.

His agility is actually quite good.

People should not be surprised if he all things stay as they are now that he's a top 3 pick.

Lalor is nowhere near even top tier Coates league fitness atm let alone AFL fitness so that will have a bearing and if drafted he will need a couple of years. He has a huge ceiling but is also a chance of being a bust as a mid.
Harvey Langford has a bit of Bont about him.

I mean let’s actually think about this for a second.

Why would Rosa be meeting with Harley Reid?

To work out if he is a good fit? Can they fit in his AFL determined salary? Because Harley will be convinced to go there based on what the list Manager says (as opposed to you know, the coach, the captain, a senior player)?

Sigh I’m glad it sounds like Harley is sick of this shit too.

As likely as that wce poster that said they spotted Harley reid at pies HQ.

Stop looking at twitter/facebook of all places for trade news.

And they call Perth stalkers when you have melb people pulling that shit.

My oh my. Totally legit as well

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully this is nothing, but people are saying Reid met with Rosa (Essendon’s list manager).

Could be someone just starting rumours of course.

Yeah this is bullshit.
As much as I would love Harley to sign on, I'd love Archer to sign on almost as much. He could be a pretty special KF imo.
be someone just starting rumours of course.
Zach Reid is off to Qatar after a run with poorly managed injuries. I wouldn’t mind the club reaching out to bring him over with his little brother with a view to a KPD role.

Guys you've got it all wrong, apparently Harley Reid left a cafe and tripped over Dodoro's eyebrow, which stretched over 3 suburbs and whilst trying to detangle himself from the vine-like structure he found the emaciated corpse of Matt Rosa who had expired whilst trying to escape his own entanglement with the great beast eyebrow.

As likely as that wce poster that said they spotted Harley reid at pies HQ.

Stop looking at twitter/facebook of all places for trade news.

And they call Perth stalkers when you have melb people pulling that shit.

My oh my. Totally legit as well

Merrett doing back to backs all day

Attachments

• IMG_0427.jpeg
    IMG_0427.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 113
Graham is free in draft picks, but we've offered him a four year deal. He's injury prone, we are clearly using salary cap space which you can bank over time with smart contract management and may eventually be able to use to buy picks or incentivise a chad type.

Harley, daicos, sheezel, JHF, weddle, mckercher, gulden, holmes.

It's a bit of a fallacy players can't impact in their first 1-3 years. If you have good picks, and draft well you can get players that impact almost immediately. I don't consider our second rounder "cheap" in this draft for peatling. He's 24 and still hasn't properly established himself in an admittedly very strong midfield. I would rather build a core around Harley.

Parfitt the best fit for us imo. Does the hard stuff to an afl level. Is a legit on-baller where we want an extra option (i.e better fit than graham) and is less likely imo to have his body fall apart next year than Graham.

Peatling's fine but not for a top 30 pick (which is what he will cost).
Just gotta point out, the young players almost exclusively impact offensively, and theyre all outside wing/half backs bar Reid and JHF.
None of them are known for their defensive efforts. They can run all day and can use the ball well, but ask them to play the defensive role at a stoppage and youre in trouble.

Thats where someone like Graham would come in. I dont think Parfitt is a better fit, hes probably a similar ability to graham but lacks the leadership and off-field traits Graham has.
Peatling would be better, but he costs picks too.

Graham is free in draft picks, but we've offered him a four year deal. He's injury prone, we are clearly using salary cap space which you can bank over time with smart contract management and may eventually be able to use to buy picks or incentivise a chad type.

Harley, daicos, sheezel, JHF, weddle, mckercher, gulden, holmes.

It's a bit of a fallacy players can't impact in their first 1-3 years. If you have good picks, and draft well you can get players that impact almost immediately. I don't consider our second rounder "cheap" in this draft for peatling. He's 24 and still hasn't properly established himself in an admittedly very strong midfield. I would rather build a core around Harley.

Parfitt the best fit for us imo. Does the hard stuff to an afl level. Is a legit on-baller where we want an extra option (i.e better fit than graham) and is less likely imo to have his body fall apart next year than Graham.

Peatling's fine but not for a top 30 pick (which is what he will cost).
Graham is not injury prone. Obviously this year had a couple of niggles, but he isn't Prestia!!

Drafted 2016
Since then
17. 5
18. 18
19. 16
20. 16
21. 22
22. 20
23. 20
24. 14

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

He may very well have bumped into him, he'd know every list manager in the country from the lead up to the draft last year.

If he was 'meeting' him, he'd have done it inside the cafe, not catch up with a mate then bump into a list manager.

Fake AF.
Heck I bumped into and chatted with Rosa earlier this year.
Maybe I'll get drafted by Essendon.

Hopefully this is nothing, but people are saying Reid met with Rosa (Essendon’s list manager).

Could be someone just starting rumours of course.

100% made up.

Bloke who tweeted it is ‘mad Bombers fan’ and has deleted the tweet.

Why would he not get a picture of Harley with Rosa?

It’s been a Twitter thing for a the last 2 days, I’ve seen player X with person Y at place Z.

Never seen a fan base so obsessed with a player in my time in footy.

Guys you've got it all wrong, apparently Harley Reid left a cafe and tripped over Dodoro's eyebrow, which stretched over 3 suburbs and whilst trying to detangle himself from the vine-like structure he found the emaciated corpse of Matt Rosa who had expired whilst trying to escape his own entanglement with the great beast eyebrow.
Imagine the gooch mat on Dodoro

With all this angst over Baker and his cost in draft terms;surely we have to take into account that we will/should get a p/p?. That is what we will trade for Baker.
Nesbit said we wouldn’t apply for one.Well he’s outta here and hopefully the new regime will demand one.
Baker May actually cost us buggar all! Here’s hoping!
Get over it !! It’s not gunna happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back