List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:

am i crazy not to want anyone unless they come very cheap? seems stupid to be shipping blokes off for draft capital only to be used in trading other blokes in. we need as many cracks at the top 20/30 as possible.
Maybe just a little. If you want quality, you have to pay for it, so often what comes cheap isn't of the highest quality. And while you may say let's keep pic 12 instead of shipping it off for a quality player in the hopes they become a gun, something like a third to half the draft picks each year don't become quality AFL players. So it's a balancing act, if the age and quality is right, it's sometimes worth paying. Warner and Pickett would be two that probably fall into that category. But we need to keep the highest end pick.

He played both academy games vs Dogs and Coburg, good in both games.

I've been worried about Langford for pace, not agility though! I think over a 20m sprint he could well be slow, but his first 5 metres look quick, he has a good burst away from stoppage but he's probably one who is quick for first 10 and average next 10. Where most would hit top speed in the second 10m, so I'm less concerned and if we're interested hopefully we can test the first 5m and 10m. His laterally movement and agility actually looks very good, I think that combined with his 5m burst is how he breaks clear in stoppages.

Lalor I think will be quick and test quick, maybe less so for agility. Time will tell, but he's a explosive player.

Langford isn't quick of body, he's quick of mind it's why his first few steps look fast while guys like Ginbey or Chesser have a slow first few steps imo.

His 20m time earlier in the year was 3.2 however whilst not there I was told he stumbled the first step. Has a low max speed but a solid cruising speed.

His agility is actually quite good.

People should not be surprised if he all things stay as they are now that he's a top 3 pick.

Lalor is nowhere near even top tier Coates league fitness atm let alone AFL fitness so that will have a bearing and if drafted he will need a couple of years. He has a huge ceiling but is also a chance of being a bust as a mid.

Has anyone been a regular watcher of our WAFL team, keen to know how you think Rawlinson and Livingstone have gone through the year?

I had them as both delists, as none of their wafl stats are that impressive and didn't think they were draft worthy last year. So I'm a tad surprised to see them both get another year.

I have. Not as much as I watch another side. Livingstone imo is worth another year particularly as he is cat B. Rawlinson outside of defensive pressure has no AFL quality attributes and struggles to kick more than 40m on the run. He's also a bit of a butcher.

Langford isn't quick of body, he's quick of mind it's why his first few steps look fast while guys like Ginbey or Chesser have a slow first few steps imo.

His 20m time earlier in the year was 3.2 however whilst not there I was told he stumbled the first step. Has a low max speed but a solid cruising speed.

People should not be surprised if he all things stay as they are now that he's a top 3 pick.

Lalor is nowhere near even top tier Coates league fitness atm let alone AFL fitness so that will have a bearing and if drafted he will need a couple of years. He has a huge ceiling but is also a chance of being a bust as a mid.
What about his kicking though? Can be a bit of an awkward looking drop. Does some great bullet passes where he stabs at it though

Good point RE Livingstone being Cat B and not many options to come into a Cat B spot. Oversight on my behalf.
Is our other cat B currently Baker? I have a feeling Dewar was lifted off it, which allowed Coen to come onto it.

Surely with Rawlinson, we hold a decision until post draft and see what falls to us in the rookie draft. List lodgment is post draft. Feels like some solid options could be there this year.

Dewar is Cat b and Baker was elevated. So imo Baker is gone.

With all this angst over Baker and his cost in draft terms;surely we have to take into account that we will/should get a p/p?. That is what we will trade for Baker.
Nesbit said we wouldn’t apply for one.Well he’s outta here and hopefully the new regime will demand one.
Baker May actually cost us buggar all! Here’s hoping!

With all this angst over Baker and his cost in draft terms;surely we have to take into account that we will/should get a p/p?. That is what we will trade for Baker.
Nesbit said we wouldn’t apply for one.Well he’s outta here and hopefully the new regime will demand one.
Baker May actually cost us buggar all! Here’s hoping!
You’re absolutely dreaming and naive if you think the VFL will hand us much needed draft assistance…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you have any insights to Lalors application or are you too removed from that side of the draft this year?

Any chance that Sheed will get delisted a year early? He's played 24 games in the last three years.

There’s a chance

Had further surgery on his foot earlier this month in a bid to get it right for 2025. If that doesn’t work then maybe he doesn’t play on - we probably don’t know before trade period how he’s recovering but might have an idea before the draft as it will have been 3 months

Think it’s more likely he’s retained with a possibility that he retires early if it doesn’t improve

Personally think we should be considering retiring him especially since list spots are tightening up - I’d rather we give Trew another year for example

Graham, if he signs on with us, can replace Sheed’s role

Sheed adds nothing to the seniors or beagles. Lazy, finger pointing, no defensive game whatsoever. He's actually more of a liability in the wafl where he should be teaching the youngsters good habits. Pay him out.. pay him double..who cares

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hopefully this is nothing, but people are saying Reid met with Rosa (Essendon’s list manager).

Could be someone just starting rumours of course.

Lol, where's Matt Rosa?

And does anyone honestly think he'd meet him without his manager?

Hopefully this is nothing, but people are saying Reid met with Rosa (Essendon’s list manager).

Could be someone just starting rumours of course.

Wonder how long Rosa had to wait around the corner before he ‘accidentally’ bumped into Harley?

What’s John Kizon up to now? Maybe he trails Harley everywhere to discourage things like this. I believe he successfully kept list managers away from Cuzz and Gardiner. 😊

They said he met Matt Rosa after the cafe with his mate lol.

It’s most likely made up.
He may very well have bumped into him, he'd know every list manager in the country from the lead up to the draft last year.

If he was 'meeting' him, he'd have done it inside the cafe, not catch up with a mate then bump into a list manager.

Fake AF.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back