List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
That leaves (age next year) :

33 - McGovern, Cripps
32 - Yeo
31 - Kelly
30 - Hunt, Sheed
29 - Ryan, Duggan
28 - Cole, Flynn
27 - Waterman
26 - Allen, Petruccelle
25 - B Williams, Jamieson, H Edwards
24 - Hutchinson
23 - Brockman

Wonder how many from Gov, Cripps, Yeo, Kelly, Sheed will be playing after 2025?
Presuming Sheed is already an outlier spending more time in WAFL?
Petro also not guaranteed a regular spot, depending on new coach.
Kelly would have another year or two in him.

Peatling won’t be free and with the contract offers he is getting they might want something semi decent in return now. Might cost a downgrade of 23? Not sure we can get it down with a 4th rounder and if the F2 is going in the TB trade not sure we would be keen on throwing in a F3 as we might need those points as they will be hard to get.

Do think that sort of thinking is where we have to go. No teens pick for Baker
That's why i said free/low cost initially. Had him in as free agent subsequently, but you're right, he will be pricing himself out of the low cost options

Don’t worry I won’t be holding my breath but with the inherent disadvantage of being a WA side in a vic-centric competition the WA sides should at the very least be working together at board and list management level. The NGAs and even player trades without screwing each other over should be the bare minimum. Happy for us to try and kill each other on the field.

I don’t think much of that is sustainable because there will be a time when there is confusion in a trade or choices around interpretation of agreement that ensures whole thing falls over. Once 3-4 players in a row choose west coast over freo, watch them implode, explode and run around like headless chooks.

Father son and nga is more clear cut I guess. Trades not so much.

Yes, may want more.

I think you are pretty optimistic about Bailey though. He was not fine in the ruck last year. He was getting a bath most weeks, and was probably the lowest rated #1 ruck in the league.

If he could reach anything nearing Xerri’s level that would be great. He can take a mark but then he usually stuffs the kick up.
He finished 6th in the JWM.

Xerri's been worse across his entire career, apart from going on a tear this year at the ripe old age of 25.

A funny trade/deal to do one day would be us and Fremantle to do loan situations via trade. So we want Freos pick 15, Freo want Erasmus to get more AFL games in that in and under role. We also want to give Jack Williams + Ryan Maric full time roles at FF and HF respectively . Fremantle also want another forward to compliment Treacy. Ryan also to replace a guy like Tom Emmett/Frederick. All of this is to win a flag in 2025. We send them to Freo and pay their salaries to get a 1st rounder back

2024 - Waterman (1 year loan) + Liam Ryan (1 year loan) for Erasmus + pick 16 + Freos future 1st
2025 - Erasmus + Freos 1st rounder for Waterman and Ryan

Maybe we get pick Freo to grab a pick 39 from Richmond to make it more even for us s

That leaves (age next year) :

33 - McGovern, Cripps
32 - Yeo
31 - Kelly
30 - Hunt, Sheed
29 - Ryan, Duggan
28 - Cole, Flynn
27 - Waterman
26 - Allen, Petruccelle
25 - B Williams, Jamieson, H Edwards
24 - Hutchinson
23 - Brockman

Wonder how many from Gov, Cripps, Yeo, Kelly, Sheed will be playing after 2025?
Presuming Sheed is already an outlier spending more time in WAFL?
Petro also not guaranteed a regular spot, depending on new coach.
Kelly would have another year or two in him.

I can Cripps, Sheed playing wafl only. Petch Jamieson too. Even cole will need to have a big preseason or he will as well.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

On today's Shelter Footycast Schofield reckons if Sydney win the flag West Coast are gonna make a massive run at Warner THIS YEAR and Warner will be an Eagle, especially if Freo grab Bolton.

At 26:49 for people who want to check it out

I'm glad a few other people are on the Crossley train.

He'd cost nothing.

Yes - He's short for an AFL Ruck but he's an absolute mongrel, I can guarantee you wont get other rucks waltzing out the front of a contest. He'll punish the other rucks physically, win more than his opponent most times at throw-ins too, he's very strong.

Very similar to Mumford and perfect for Williams has he can soften them up, then BW can use his athleticism.

He'd lift others around him too.

Just come off 71, 69 hit-out games respectively in the VFL (+12 and 5 tackles)

He'd be a fantastic addition for no cost

I'd rather we prioritise acquiring young mids to build a midfield around Reid post-Yeo and TK, rather than guys around Baker & Graham's age range.
Yeah I agree but a part of me thinks we need a Baker type to help guide these guys through too. Reckon he'd be valuable along side Harley, Hewett and co.

But yes don't wanna lose too many early picks

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

On today's Shelter Footycast Schofield reckons if Sydney win the flag West Coast are gonna make a massive run at Warner THIS YEAR and Warner will be an Eagle, especially if Freo grab Bolton.

if schoey is predicting it we are 100% never getting warner lmao

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The opposite would occur. Freo would go all in on Warner and leave Bolton at Richmond

The opposite would occur. Freo would go all in on Warner and leave Bolton at Richmond
If i was Freo it wouldn't take me long to offer 9, 10, and 16 for Warner. Would switch out one of 9 or 10 for F1 if Sydney preferred. We can't beat their offer unless want to give 3, and the Hawks first and F1, and i don't think i want to go that far.

We need too many players to be giving up three good picks for one player.

A funny trade/deal to do one day would be us and Fremantle to do loan situations via trade. So we want Freos pick 15, Freo want Erasmus to get more AFL games in that in and under role. We also want to give Jack Williams + Ryan Maric full time roles at FF and HF respectively . Fremantle also want another forward to compliment Treacy. Ryan also to replace a guy like Tom Emmett/Frederick. All of this is to win a flag in 2025. We send them to Freo and pay their salaries to get a 1st rounder back

2024 - Waterman (1 year loan) + Liam Ryan (1 year loan) for Erasmus + pick 16 + Freos future 1st

Maybe we get pick Freo to grab a pick 39 from Richmond to make it more even for us s
Yeah funny, can you send me some of the stuff you’re on.

If i was Freo it wouldn't take me long to offer 9, 10, and 16 for Warner. Would switch out one of 9 or 10 for F1 if Sydney preferred. We can't beat their offer unless want to give 3, and the Hawks first and F1, and i don't think i want to go that far.

We need too many players to be giving up three good picks for one player.
3 and just one of our F1 or 12 are arguably better

I'd rather we prioritise acquiring young mids to build a midfield around Reid post-Yeo and TK, rather than guys around Baker & Graham's age range.

I think it’s possible to do both

Use our R1 pick this year and next on the best mid available then our other draft picks to fill other list holes

Get the likes of Graham and/or Parfitt as free agents. Addd one or two of Carroll, Garcia, Robertson or Peatling (who I don’t think will be available sadly) to be bridging mids to help shoulder the load as Yeo/Kelly decline and Reid/Hewett/Hall etc come through and develop

Baker is an outlier who I see as a replacement for Cripps in our forward half rather than a mid depending on cost

Can you imagine how dirty and grubby the loanees would feel!!!

Bailey simply needs to put on about 10% weight so he’s not out-sized or muscled in the ruck contests. It’s not rocket science, he’s been preparing as a fwd who will pinch hit in the ruck. It’s been poor development by us up till this point.
Get him bigger and he will be as serviceable as any of the rucks options being thrown around and cost nothing.

On top of that Scott Jones out played Reidy for much of yesterday’s contest. Is 205 cm and 110kg. 29yrs of age so not old in ruck terms. Would cost nothing either as a short to medium term option while we develop a couple of younger guys.

Pick 3 for us isn't tradeable, so for comparison purposes that leaves the dockers with 9,10,17,27 which is a stronger hand than our 12,23,30
That's 3 in the top 20 against against our 1 at this time. We have to trade to strengthen our hand for a early rebuild or we will need to win the next 5 wooden spoons if we rely on getting high first round draft picks.
I want us to go really hard in this draft, so our list management
Look, I’m all for not overpaying and agree Richmond are all in on trying to accelerate their rebuild, but we really don’t have many if any players like Baker.

Guys in the same age group are Witherden, Waterman, Cole, Duggan, Ryan (ignoring TB, Rotham, Jones who are all unlikely to be on the list next year, and Flynn who is hard to judge due to injury).

Baker is better than Cole and Witherden, is more consistent with his effort than Ryan (nowhere near the ceiling), somewhat similar to Duggan although more positional flexibility, and not as good or consistent as the ‘new’ Waterman.

All for haggling over what the right price is, but at the right price he will fit into our side nicely.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
And interestingly Baker is statistically far superior to Rioli who Richmond supporters are expecting to get pick 6 for from GC for. Personally I believe Rioli is only worth a 2nd and Baker a late first.

I mean, we’ve been bottom three for three years and could easily generate three high picks if we wanted to.
Yeo and Gov are too old to generate a first or second rounder. Of the rest, Barrass and Allen, maybe Waterman have value. Love to hear who "easily" generates high picks other than those I listed.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back