List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
With the Rioli trade likely to produce a pick in the 20’s for us, if we were going to split our pick 2 we’d be better off trading into next years draft considering we’re likely to only use 4 this year.

Something like our pick 2 and 20 for Hawthorns 6 and future 1st.

Leaves us with 6, 26, 27 (Rioli compo) and 38 this year plus 2 likely top 10 picks next year.

Theres no point stockpiling picks this season if we aren’t going to use them all and there’s no guarantees we’ll be able to live trade them to jump up the pecking order on draft night. Richmond tried to last year and had no takers.

That was the hypothetical I was working off. You then expanded it to having a “mature conversation” with all players over 30.

If Gaff under contract asked to move back to Melbourne due to a change in circumstance, yes, have the conversation.

Telling him to explore his options because he’s not getting an extension beyond 2024, no, I think that’s inappropriate.
It wouldn’t be said like that and you know it.
If the eagles were thinking of trading out any older players the Eagles would say to the relevant manager prior to silly season “ we know your client is under contract and is has given an enormous amount to this club, however with where the team performance and current list is at we all know that change is needed . We have no interest in shopping contracted players but if other clubs show interest and it’s of benefit to both parties would you be interested in exploring?
Manager simply says no interest or interested. Job done Miguel

With the Rioli trade likely to produce a pick in the 20’s for us, if we were going to split our pick 2 we’d be better off trading into next years draft considering we’re likely to only use 4 this year.

Something like our pick 2 and 20 for Hawthorns 6 and future 1st.

Leaves us with 6, 26, 27 (Rioli compo) and 38 this year plus 2 likely top 10 picks next year.

Theres no point stockpiling picks this season if we aren’t going to use them all and there’s no guarantees we’ll be able to live trade them to jump up the pecking order on draft night. Richmond tried to last year and had no takers.

Rioli leaving opens another list spot so we could use 5 picks this draft

Not that I think your proposal doesn’t have merit

It wouldn’t be said like that and you know it.

If you read back through the argument you’ll realize the theoretical conversation I described was the one that was put to me. Gaff asks about the possibility of an extension, and was told there wouldn’t be one and if he wants to play beyond 2024 he should explore his options.

No managers involved. No “we value your services but if other clubs come knocking would you be interested, no pressure”.

You guys have very different ideas about how this ludicrous hypothetical would play out.

Rioli leaving opens another list spot so we could use 5 picks this draft

Not that I think your proposal doesn’t have merit
I don’t know, I think it’s more likely that with Rioli leaving we’ll be cutting one less player this year.

If you read back through the argument you’ll realize the theoretical conversation I described was the one that was put to me. Gaff asks about the possibility of an extension, and was told there wouldn’t be one and if he wants to play beyond 2024 he should explore his options.

No managers involved. No “we value your services but if other clubs come knocking would you be interested, no pressure”.

You guys have very different ideas about how this ludicrous hypothetical would play out.
In what world would Gaff be having direct conversations with the club about contract extensions? Managers have a purpose
I have no idea

We have 2,20,26,27*,38 assuming a favourable Rioli trade

What pushes our picks back?

Ashcroft bid at 1
Davey Jnr bid late teens
Priority pick for the street urchins end of round 1
Fletcher bid say early 20’s
Amon compo 2nd round pick which I’ve * above as 27
McStay compo 2nd round (or possibly end of 1st round depending on what Collingwood are offering)
I’m also going to assume that Brisbane will need to hold at least one early 20’s pick to match the Ashcroft bid as well as one in the 30’s

That would put our picks at

So my proposed Essendon trade would become something like 3 and 42 for 5 and 26

Gives us 5,23,26,29,30
We are probably talking picks held before the draft night versus where the picks actually land on draft night.

The priority and compensation picks will be allocated after FA closes and when the AFL decide what help Norf get.
Expecting before draft night
  • Norf priority at 19
  • Amon band 3 after R2
  • McStay band 2 end R1

So before draft night it will be 2 and 38 (which becomes 41) for 4 and 22 (which becomes 25).

Then on draft night due to
  • Ashcroft at 1
  • Davey say at 17
  • Fletcher say at 21

Our selections will probably be 2 (becomes 3 Ashcroft) and 38 (was already 41 becomes 44) for 4 (becomes 5 Ashcroft) and 22 (already back to 25 then becomes 28 due to bids)

Based on prior years, I expect there to be demand on picks in the 20's so will be sold for more points to by Lions. I see the Lions wanting to get back into the draft if they can for a decent 3rd pick

I am really keen on the Lions bid as it will be before all the compo picks. Plus it is another 1st rounder so ticks off AFL rules and brings us up to date. The premium will be high (I would say over 500 points as there is a sweet spot in the draft from about 12 to 20. The likes of Hotton, Hollands, Hustwaite, Ginbey, Jefferies, Szybkowski, George, Keeler, etc.

That said, I think there will be quality to choose from up to pick 40. There will be hindsight gems, just expect a lower level of certainty. Jackson Nelson was pick 51 and I had reasonable confidence he would make it. That threshold feels about 10 lower for me this year. Again, it might be because of the reduced football I have seen from Vic the last 2 years.

A long response but I like the deal
IMO as the picks stand now:-

3, 20, 22, 26, 27

is better than

2, 20, 26, 27, 38

I wish I had insights into Sydney's needs in 2023 as they hold theirs and Melbourne RA (say 14 and 16/17). If they have need for picks in 2023, I would be tempted to go Future second and third for 14. I would then be looking for Port to give their future second for Rioli.
That would leave us 3, 14, 20, 22 and 26 and in 2023 we have our R1, Ports R2 and our R4.

The MG stuffs interesting, but as those in the know here are saying, next yrs draft is very strong and the temptations to pass on Mitch may be real!
If pa ended up with Rioli, Fantasia and Pickett, that's a bl00dy good set of smalls.

Last edited:
We have 2,20,26,27*,38 assuming a favourable Rioli trade

What pushes our picks back?

Ashcroft bid at 1
Davey Jnr bid late teens
Priority pick for the street urchins end of round 1
Fletcher bid say early 20’s
Amon compo 2nd round pick which I’ve * above as 27
McStay compo 2nd round (or possibly end of 1st round depending on what Collingwood are offering)
I’m also going to assume that Brisbane will need to hold at least one early 20’s pick to match the Ashcroft bid as well as one in the 30’s

That would put our picks at

So my proposed Essendon trade would become something like 3 and 42 for 5 and 26

Gives us 5,23,26,29,30

I think Essendon will be red hot for Sheezel, I could see them giving us a 2nd just to move up a couple spots to secure him, not sure we’d have to also give up our 3rd. We netted a 2nd last season for just sliding down 2 picks (12 to 14), sliding from 2 to 4 should warrant a straight up 2nd imo

I think the club will stay put though, they’ll grab Tsatas or Wardlaw, would put the house on that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The MG stuffs interesting, but as those in the know here are saying, next yrs draft is very strong and the temptations to pass on Mitch may be real!
If pa ended up with Rioli, Fantasia and Pickett, that's a bl00dy good set of smalls.
It is Matt Rendell so you need to take whatever he says with a pinch of salt.

They call this time of year the "silly season" for a reason. Rendell has no future as a recruiter and his best work was over a decade ago. I would say his input is about as relevant as Hazelby.

I think Essendon will be red hot for Sheezel, I could see them giving us a 2nd just to move up a couple spots to secure him, not sure we’d have to also give up our 3rd. We netted a 2nd last season for just sliding down 2 picks (12 to 14), sliding from 2 to 4 should warrant a straight up 2nd imo

I think the club will stay put though, they’ll grab Tsatas or Wardlaw, would put the house on that

Have you informed the misso?!

A lot of who goes where for how long for how much is going to depend on salary cap space. It is apparent that some clubs have managed this better than others but the question I have is...
Does anyone have a definitive list of clubs with salary caps issues? Some are obvious and have been well reported in the press (yes, not definitive, but on issues like this should have some idea).

As far as I can work out, clubs that have issues include...
West Coast. Well reported that with Gaff/Darling/TK/Gov/Yeo etc. all in the AFL top 100 paid (6 I think it was) our cap is under pressure but will free up somewhat at the end of 2023 and significantly more so at end 2024.
Carlton - Apparently (according to Damien Barrett), Carlton are in even more hurt than us, and for longer, with 5 players taking about 40% of the available cap. And most are on long term deals.
Collingwood - had to dump a couple of years ago to prevent a back-end contract salary cap breach. Obviously did the cuts required but are unlikely to have created huge space. Probably, like us, waiting for contracts to drop off.
GWS - cutting players now for cap reasons.
GCS - always seem to be struggling.

Not sure.
Richmond - seem to want to offload Dusty and his salary but at the same time have the space to attract the GWS out of there pair.
Sydney - despite the Buddy deal still not ended they seem fine, but have quietly offloaded the odd player here and there over the past few years.

At the other end.
Geelong - always in the hunt for any ex Geelong junior or Vic homebody. Despite a list of stars never seem troubled.

Feel free to correct or add to the knowledge pile. Even well informed speculation adds.

West Coast. Well reported that with Gaff/Darling/TK/Gov/Yeo etc. all in the AFL top 100 paid (6 I think it was) our cap is under pressure but will free up somewhat at the end of 2023 and significantly more so at end 2024.
Reported in trash (there isnt another) media and directly stated as clearly wrong numbers by a long margin by the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back