List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
You mean it isn't already?

Best I can offer is the Jed Walter champs highlights video that is currently rendering. We can all watch it and get pissed off that we're missing out on the best key forward prospect for years.

You support a big club in Victoria and he's going to Gold Coast, so never say never :)

Best I can offer is the Jed Walter champs highlights video that is currently rendering. We can all watch it and get pissed off that we're missing out on the best key forward prospect for years.
Finally, something we can all get behind.

You support a big club in Victoria and he's going to Gold Coast, so never say never :)
True I guess, but he's born and raised on the gold coast. I get the impression from his interviews that he's a lifer.

Edit: didnt know he was born in Perth. Interesting...

If you spent more time around here you'd probably know that I'm not as keen on Walter as others who might suggest that he should be the no. 1 pick.
I'm pretty comfortable with settling for Reid (assuming we get pick 1).

That's not to say that Walter is not going to be a top talent, I just think he demonstrated some inconsistencies during the Champs (and not just his set shot goal kicking, which plagued Reid as well). All I'm saying is that I'm not crying about missing him. Of course, retrospectively that might be another thing.

Having said the above I remember at the time I was disappointed that we missed out on David Swallow (and then Harley Bennell), but by some twist of fate Andrew Gaff at pick 4 has clearly been the better of those top 4 picks (despite being the most limited of the four when considering attributes) and his output alone might have exceeded all three of Swallow, Day and Bennell's AFL careers (were it not for Swallows' longevity). It's fair to say, though, that Swallow never hit the heights anticipated after his top tier draft season.
So, I guess we'll discover sometime in the next 5-10 years how right or wrong my (and others) opinions are. Hopefully both Walter and Reid become elite players at AFL level.

If you spent more time around here you'd probably know that I'm not as keen on Walter as others who might suggest that he should be the no. 1 pick.

That's not to say that Walter is not going to be a top talent, I just think he demonstrated some inconsistencies during the Champs (and not just his set shot goal kicking, which plagued Reid as well). All I'm saying is that I'm not crying about missing him. Of course, retrospectively that might be another thing.

Having said the above I remember at the time I was disappointed that we missed out on David Swallow (and then Harley Bennell), but by some twist of fate Andrew Gaff at pick 4 has clearly been the better of those top 4 picks (despite being the most limited of the four when considering attributes) and his output alone might have exceeded all three of Swallow, Day and Bennell's AFL careers (were it not for Swallows' longevity). It's fair to say, though, that Swallow never hit the heights anticipated after his top tier draft season.
So, I guess we'll discover sometime in the next 5-10 years how right or wrong my (and others) opinions are. Hopefully both Walter and Reid become elite players at AFL level.
Who knows how their careers would have turned out if Swallow had been drafted by WC and Gaff by GC.

Having said the above I remember at the time I was disappointed that we missed out on David Swallow (and then Harley Bennell), but by some twist of fate Andrew Gaff at pick 4 has clearly been the better of the those top 4 picks and his output alone might have exceeded all three of Swallow, Day and Bennell's AFL careers (were it not for Swallows' longevity). It's fair to say, though, that Swallow never hit the heights anticipated after his top tier draft season.
For me, its a testament to how much Walter has shown that's he's even in the same conversation as Harley, but I've had Harley in his own category at Tier 0 since last season and he's only confirmed that with his last couple of performances. While I would have Walter above someone like JUH, Harley is for me the best prospect I've seen since I got back into draft watching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swallow had knee issues (basically missed two seasons from age 22-23) that meant he was never able to fully develop as a mid and ended up playing half back, Bennell had drugs, then calf? issues. Gaff has been very durable.

You can't account for injury (unless they are injury prone as juniors and you fear it will continue), you just have to pick the best and hope they stay healthy. AFL is a hard physical game though and bodies breakdown. You can't do anything about that.

For me, its a testament to how much Walter has shown that's he's even in the same conversation as Harley, but I've had Harley in his own category at Tier 0 since last season and he's only confirmed that with his last couple of performances. While I would have Walter above someone like JUH, Harley is for me the best prospect I've seen since I got back into draft watching.
Walter has all the attributes that make him an enticing key forward option and Gold Coast are obviously thrilled to have him as a selection. I just don't think the output was quite elite, although very good, at the highest level (U18 Champs and the Academy game). For instance, in the game against Metro IIRC Walter had three goals early in the 2nd quarter, admittedly a great start. However, he then had one ineffective handball from midway through the 2nd quarter until the end of the game. That's a long time to go while having zero impact, particularly considering the Allies dominance around the stoppages.

Gotta say, I am enjoying Norf fans trying to come up with rationales as to why we would want to give up the biggest drafting slam dunk in recent memory for a kid floating anywhere from 2 - 6 on draft boards just because they’re from WA.
Because he wants to 'go home'..

Last I checked there wasn't an AFL club in Tongala.

They also don't seem to realise we have 16 Victorians on the list, 2 of which moved from Melbourne and Brisbane to come to WCE.

We had more Victorians in the team on the weekend than players from any other state, combined.

Swallow had knee issues (basically missed two seasons from age 22-23) that meant he was never able to fully develop as a mid and ended up playing half back, Bennell had drugs, then calf? issues. Gaff has been very durable.

You can't account for injury (unless they are injury prone as juniors and you fear it will continue), you just have to pick the best and hope they stay healthy. AFL is a hard physical game though and bodies breakdown. You can't do anything about that.
In fairness, I did say it was a twist of fate.
For what it's worth there was a thread on the main board (maybe 8-10 years ago) where the posters were estimating who would be the best player in five years and I selected Bennell as my choice. The guy could absolutely play and it's understandable why he was picked where he was picked.

Shuey retirement just announced
Yes, even though it was necessary it still is a sad occasion. I remember meeting him at an U18 game where he was chatting with his previous coach (the Chargers coach IIRC) and how down to earth he was. Has come a long way since then. And that Grand Final. Just a pity he never made an All Australian team as it would've been well-deserved.

Yes, even though it was necessary it still is a sad occasion. I remember meeting him at an U18 game where he was chatting with his previous coach (the Chargers coach IIRC) and how down to earth he was. Has come a long way since then. And that Grand Final. Just a pity he never made an All Australian team as it would've been well-deserved.

AA is a compromised popularity contest. The true greats show their work on the biggest stage. The highest ever rated GF performance while captaining a winning team (undermanned) is a monumental effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back