List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
Curtin looks like a good player and it'd be good to massage the draft to get him with our second pick somehow.
But pick 1?

Reid - a lot of talk about being a mummy's boy but not from him or his manager. I'd be happy to pick him.
Jed Walter - did I hear he was a WC supporter? Regardless worth a very early bid. Either GC match or we get a get a genuine top 3 pick, arguably a worthy pick 1.
McKercher - I'm liking this kid. Good enough to be a pick 1. Interviews well and says is more than happy to go to WC and is a loyal sort who wants to be a one clubber. I'd actually be happy to take him with 1 also.

Lol where did Jed Walter say he’s a West Coast fan? Cool if true.

Why is it becoming more and more likely?
Because EP2018 is like a dementor - he constantly tries to drain every piece of happiness from people who read his posts. Best to ignore

in terms of listening to what a Norf supporter is proposing, also best to ignore

Norf have a long and tragic history of attracting supporters who have no sense of reality hence their nickname as the “tin rattlers”. Their period of success came when Melbourne football had pity on them and felt sorry. Comes a time when you need to get off welfare

Lel, "more and more likely" my chode.

IF we retain pick 1 and use it, we're taking Harley Reid.

Don't let any bored nuffies who want to stir up drama and clog up this thread in the offseason say otherwise.

Harley is going to be the face of our club. He's already borderline a celebrity in WA after his first couple stints here. The King of Perth. The new Benny C. Day 4 better than day 3 etc.

It's blatantly obvious it's what the club needs and will make happen if we finish last. They've eked out every scrap of merchandise from part timer Naitanui, and now that horse is practically dead 🗑️

In comes the new long haired yahoo who throws up Dustin's and leads the team back to glory. Watch the gear fly off the shelves.

As much as I'd like to somehow also get Curtin, he doesn't have that marquee vibe to him. A face that doesn't stand out. Only way we'll end up with the bloke is if we downgrade our pick and take him from 2 onwards. Which is fine if it's a godfather offer.

Seems to me the rest of the draft kinda sucks and evens out after the first 10 picks though, so adding late first rounders, early seconds really doesn't appeal.

How upset would we be collectively if we take Curtin with pick 1? Because this scenario is getting more and more likely imo.

It really isn't.

IF Barrass wants to leave for Sydney I'd be looking at doing something like the following (Going off current ladder positions)

Give: Barrass + Part of salary
Get: Pick 9 & Pick 22

I'd then look at offering Gold Coast:

Give: 9 & 19 (2417 Points)
Get: 5 (1878 Points)

Surplus = 539 Points or around pick 35.

This would trump Bulldogs if they just offered 14 & 16 (2279 Points). Even if they threw in one of there picks in the 30's we could match that plus pick 19 holds extra value which gold coast could extract more points (or a future pick for points next year) from. We also could have an agreement that we don't bid on Walter at 1 which would also save them points.

I wouldn't be fussed about losing pick 19 in this case as we would still have pick 22 from swans. Barrass is a loss but it's time to be bold.

Hit the draft with 1 (Reid), 5, 22, 36, 38 & 55 while also keeping next years hand intact.

IF Barrass wants to leave for Sydney I'd be looking at doing something like the following (Going off current ladder positions)

This would trump Bulldogs if they just offered 14 & 16 (2279 Points). Even if they threw in one of there picks in the 30's we could match that plus pick 19 holds extra value which gold coast could extract more points (or a future pick for points next year) from. We also could have an agreement that we don't bid on Walter at 1 which would also save them points.

I wouldn't be fussed about losing pick 19 in this case as we would still have pick 22 from swans. Barrass is a loss but it's time to be bold.

Hit the draft with 1 (Reid), 5, 22, 36, 38 & 55 while also keeping next years hand intact.

I'm not convinced we'd get that much for Barrass.

Pick 9 for Barrass + 36 seems more likely.

This then makes it hard to upgrade for GCs pick 5 without trading out of the 2nd Rd entirely. If we're going into the draft with 1, 5, 38, 55 it probably cramps our ability to turn over the list. We don't want to be loading up on kids in the 4th and 5th rounds.

Further, pick 5 becomes 6 after Walter bid, potentially 7 if Norf get their compo pick. Effectively 8 if Norf also get to prelist Sanders. That aside, 5 seems to be the next tier of talent, same tier as pick 9 would be. Is it worth trading up for it from 9?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I REALLY want Reid.

But looking forward I think Curtin will be a gun as well.

The main thing that will suck if we choose to not take Reid (whether it's by winning a game and rising to 17th or splitting pick 1) will be morons on here and the Vic Media hammering us for the decision.

Then, if we do take Reid, and he is anything less than a superstar we will get hammered the other way saying we should've split the pick and have missed an opportunity to get more quality kids on the list.

That's what I think anyway.

I can picture Reid in the Blue n Gold bit I can also picture a big multi pick/player mega deal being exciting too

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would hate to trade 9 and 19 for 5, when we could just package up all of our junk picks for 5 and head to the draft with 1, 5, 9 and 19.

But even if we were to do a trade like you suggest, 9, 22 and a promise not to bid on any of GC's academy players should be enough. This way we keep the first pick of day 2.

if that’s the offer then we need to be telling TB to stay cozy

I would hate to trade 9 and 19 for 5, when we could just package up all of our junk picks for 5 and head to the draft with 1, 5, 9 and 19.

But even if we were to do a trade like you suggest, 9, 22 and a promise not to bid on any of GC's academy players should be enough. This way we keep the first pick of day 2.
I would love to package up all the junks picks for 5 but when other teams like the bulldogs can offer better then thats just not realistic. I'd only offer 19 because I feel like that would likely get the trade over the line if thats the way everything went.

I REALLY want Reid.

But looking forward I think Curtin will be a gun as well.

The main thing that will suck if we choose to not take Reid (whether it's by winning a game and rising to 17th or splitting pick 1) will be morons on here and the Vic Media hammering us for the decision.

Then, if we do take Reid, and he is anything less than a superstar we will get hammered the other way saying we should've split the pick and have missed an opportunity to get more quality kids on the list.

That's what I think anyway.

I can picture Reid in the Blue n Gold bit I can also picture a big multi pick/player mega deal being exciting too

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'd rather just pick Reid and have the Vic media/clubs lose their mind about WCE refusing to trade pick 1, then watch him go onto being an absolute gun and one-club player.

This then makes it hard to upgrade for GCs pick 5 without trading out of the 2nd Rd entirely. If we're going into the draft with 1, 5, 38, 55 it probably cramps our ability to turn over the list. We don't want to be loading up on kids in the 4th and 5th rounds.

Further, pick 5 becomes 6 after Walter bid, potentially 7 if Norf get their compo pick. Effectively 8 if Norf also get to prelist Sanders. That aside, 5 seems to be the next tier of talent, same tier as pick 9 would be. Is it worth trading up for it from 9?

I would agree we wouldn't get much more IF he wasn't contracted & we didn't pay part of his salary. That should be enough to get that extra value. Remember we don't have to trade him it's up to Sydney to give us an offer we think is fair value.

I didn't take into account a north compo pick or a pre-listing of Sanders because who knows what the AFL are going to do. Walters (apart from agreeing not to bid on him if we have pick 1) isn't really a factor as GC are the only club with access to him. He and the other 2 NGA'S are essentially pre-listed.

I'm going to say something a bit naughty....I want McKercher before Curtin.
Pretty sure his parents just cloned Zach Merrett. We need quality mids fist and foremost. I'd like to see us trade up to get him by pretty much any means necessary.

Reid + McKercher added to Ginbey/Hewett/Culley with players like Petch and Ryan doing cameos and rotating Yeo.
That is the main core of a very powerful, dynamic and pretty quick midfield.

We can find value in KPD/defender later.

I don't know much about the players next year (except it's always better. Lol) but McKercher has to be just about as good as any of them.

He's done everything to be rated highly, statistically a beast. He is death by 1000 cuts, rather than a match winner that can go into the middle and win you the game in a 5 minute spurt.

He plays to his strengths, all day run, great vision, accumulation and likes to use the ball over 15-35m by foot rather than long kicking. So I guess that's why he isn't in the top bracket, as he doesn't have x factor.

He'll be a very good player at AFL level, don't get me wrong. He's like a reverse Tom Mitchell that prefers to kick than handball.
Dane Swanish perhaps?

Pretty sure his parents just cloned Zach Merrett. We need quality mids fist and foremost. I'd like to see us trade up to get him by pretty much any means necessary.

Reid + McKercher added to Ginbey/Hewett/Culley with players like Petch doing cameos and rotating Yeo.

I don't know much about the players next year (except it's always better. Lol) but McKercher has to be just about as good as any of them.
There’s a clear top 3 in Reid Walter and McKercher.

Curtin is only grabbing so much attention in our threads because he’s from WA. I don’t think he would be on Rob’s radar unless we trade down or get another pick around 4-5 because that’s about where he sits in the talent pool.

If Nth want him at pick 2 because of a lack of kpd and reach then that’s fine but I don’t see us reaching at pick one for him even if TB left.

Could actually put up a strong argument that O’Sullivan is as good a prospect as Curtin.

Reid + McKercher added to Ginbey/Hewett/Culley with players like Petch and Ryan doing cameos and rotating Yeo.

He's a gun, but i'd rather take Curtin in that scenario and take a mid with our first next year.

We split pick 1 last year because the club was confident it meant Ginbey and Hewett.

Hewett was the reason for the split, and it was a great call.

All I seem to read is split 1 to get Curtin.

Curtin and .....????

If there's no and, I think best we stick with Reid and lure Curtin back when he's had 5 wins in three seasons at North and they are still trading out 25 year olds for priority picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back