List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, a bit late to the party.

I am in the middle on Clarke’s two presser performances. Certainly didn’t sell us up the river, but in no way portrayed the hard line some wanted. I am sure the influence of these interviews on actual trade discussions is negligible at best anyhow.

I think you can clearly see from the reactions today that Clarke is going to suffer from years of built up angst towards WC perceived ‘soft’ approach to trade week.

Judge him on his trades. In saying that..

As petty as it is, I will say Darling for 67 is pretty flattening. Like I see how either 61 or 67 would likely get consumed in the Champion bid, so it is much of a muchness. But I don’t see why just because North’s picks dropped in value that darlings value dropped as well? What was 67 before the compos, 64? Obviously a small difference, but even that pick is still unders for a guy that’ll compete in the air and can kick 30 for a team that actually delivers it to him.

I just feel like we could have told North 61 is the price. How can anyone argue 61 alone is not reasonable? Not mad, just disappointed.

Last edited:
Agreed with stallon on this one. Wouldn't want to sell the entire farm but a gun's a gun and there's a fair bit to play out - Sydney could drop off (possible), the media could create an absolute circus around him coming home (unlikely cause we're not Richmond/Collingwood but slightly possible) and Freo could be entirely out of the race if they trade their future picks and do better next year, making us the only option (possible if not likely).

His value would be too much if it was this year but there might be circumstances next year that give our F1 the upper hand, would rather retain it if possible, and if we do split our first this year it'd still be nice to have the option of a top-ender next year regardless. Geelong got us on Kelly, sure, but they're also the BODEs and we were gunning for immediate success in our window which was a bad call in hindsight but I'm happy the club would take the shoot for the moon stance with a 2nd premiership seemingly on the cards.

We have a great trade relationship with Sydney and there's a lot to play out. Do agree if the asking price is too much would just target the draft but it'd be silly not to keep the option open.
I would be OK with Warner if we were on the cusp of the 8... but we are a few years off from that yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back