List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
4 or 5 picks?

Outs main list spots. Hurn, Shuey, Clark, Foley and potentially Nic.

Waterman and O'Neil moved to rookie list. 7 spots.

J Jones will need to come onto the main list? And Culley?

So 5 spots for the draft? No free agents or trades in unless one is cut or traded out.

Surely we see more movement off the main list?
Jones is already on the main list. Waterman has been offered a contract, though he could be moved to the inactive list if is health doesn't allow him to play.

38 currently on the main list, Shuey, Hurn retire, XO, Foley and Clark delisted but Culley added makes it 34. Potentially add 6 (depending on what happens with rookies). Add 5 in the draft and one walked to the PSD.

Xon should be used more up forward. If there is one area he is above average in, it’s around goals.He’s just one of those blokes who knows how to score

Schofield on his pod said a couple of times expect more West Coast news to come next week.
So looks like he's hinting at another retirement, wouldn't be surprised if it's Naitanui

If NN retires and we’re only taking 4-5 picks in the draft. Does that mean we only delist 2 players?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If NN retires and we’re only taking 4-5 picks in the draft. Does that mean we only delist 2 players?

As others have said, if we want to upgrade any rookies or bring in any players by trade or PSD, we'll need to delist more. I would assume we'd go 4 more delistings with one of those moved to the rookie list (likely someone with a contract) to give us flexibility.

You also don't want to bring in too many at once in a draft as well, even though it sounds silly if you have a lot of players in the same age range you end up in places like us and Geelong where half your list ends up over 30 and then you're trying to stagger them out.
Or like Fold Coast where you can't hold onto them all as they all want good coin all at the same time.

Taking 4-5 each year in the draft is good. one year you might take a little more, maybe a little less the next.
We don't need to cut 10 players all in the one year then draft 10.

Pick 1 is worth 3,000 points
Pick 2 is worth 2,517 points

If we can't extort something out of GC in exchange for not forcing them to match on Jed Walter with the first pick then we are doing it all wrong.

Swapping our picks 34 and 38 for their picks 27 and 30 costs them 300 points, that's less than the amount they'd save by us not nominating him. Get it done.

You also don't want to bring in too many at once in a draft as well, even though it sounds silly if you have a lot of players in the same age range you end up in places like us and Geelong where half your list ends up over 30 and then you're trying to stagger them out.
Or like Fold Coast where you can't hold onto them all as they all want good coin all at the same time.

Taking 4-5 each year in the draft is good. one year you might take a little more, maybe a little less the next.
We don't need to cut 10 players all in the one year then draft 10.
They don't all have to be through the main draft per-se. Brockman et all.
(And mature players in state leagues)

Its not going to hurt giving a couple of guys one year deals to essentially help out the beagles for next year.
Also need to delist players at the end of 2024 too... If we cut everything this year and the new draftees have the mandatory 2-year deals, we'll have trouble using all our (likely) high draft picks next year unless we keep a few depth players for another 12 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 1 is worth 3,000 points
Pick 2 is worth 2,517 points

If we can't extort something out of GC in exchange for not forcing them to match on Jed Walter with the first pick then we are doing it all wrong.

Swapping our picks 34 and 38 for their picks 27 and 30 costs them 300 points, that's less than the amount they'd save by us not nominating him. Get it done.

Extort something - absolutely we should.

However there is also a rule against it (breaking it would undoubtedly cost us pick 1) so any trade needs to be justifiable on paper and in reality.

A trade where they get slightly more points (with the verbal non bid agreement behind it) will get through, but any trade where GC lose points in a year where they already have a potential deficit will end in trouble.

Question for the masses - I know a team can’t come into the draft with 7 picks and 5 list spots any more, but what about live trading?

I.e if GC have 4 list spots and 2 high picks at the draft, then can they trade those 2 picks for say 3 picks each (greater points) with the justification that after the 3 bid matches all they were really doing was improving the position of their 4th pick?

If that’s possible then we could be in the box seat. Not a lot of teams will take 5 players by the sounds of it, plus we have a couple of uncontracted but agreed to sign players. In theory we could ‘hide’ a few picks for GC for live trade (other teams may be tighter for available list spots)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nice highlights package of the younger Jiath but there’s an academy application pending for him to be able to join his brother at Hawthorn who was also a NGA apparently

There was also this in the linked article

Whilst we’re looking at using 4-5 picks, a number of clubs may only be using as few as 2 live picks

Means those late picks of ours in the fifties aren’t going to be worth much in any trade negotiations that aren’t accumulating points

Maybe we can find another Long late in the draft this year when the other clubs are packing up

Speaking of Long, did we find out why he slipped so late in the draft? Was it a height thing? He’s come in and had immediate impact, tackles well for his size, looks a top bloke attitude-wise, with no history of injury that I know of. It’s a bit strange. I can see him being better than a lot of the other small forwards drafted last year. Great pickup

Speaking of Long, did we find out why he slipped so late in the draft? Was it a height thing? He’s come in and had immediate impact, tackles well for his size, looks a top bloke attitude-wise, with no history of injury that I know of. It’s a bit strange. I can see him being better than a lot of the other small forwards drafted last year. Great pickup

He actually slid because of injury. Played midfield prior to his injury then forward when he returned, due to loss of fitness.

Extort something - absolutely we should.

However there is also a rule against it (breaking it would undoubtedly cost us pick 1) so any trade needs to be justifiable on paper and in reality.

A trade where they get slightly more points (with the verbal non bid agreement behind it) will get through, but any trade where GC lose points in a year where they already have a potential deficit will end in trouble.

Question for the masses - I know a team can’t come into the draft with 7 picks and 5 list spots any more, but what about live trading?

I.e if GC have 4 list spots and 2 high picks at the draft, then can they trade those 2 picks for say 3 picks each (greater points) with the justification that after the 3 bid matches all they were really doing was improving the position of their 4th pick?

If that’s possible then we could be in the box seat. Not a lot of teams will take 5 players by the sounds of it, plus we have a couple of uncontracted but agreed to sign players. In theory we could ‘hide’ a few picks for GC for live trade (other teams may be tighter for available list spots)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes, as a live trade at the draft you can end up with more picks than list spots and it is totally fine.

Yes, as a live trade at the draft you can end up with more picks than list spots and it is totally fine.

Which is kinda stupid and defeats the purpose of not allowing more picks than list spots pre draft

Trade period and draft dates locked in

Key dates for the 2023 AFL Trade and Draft periods

Saturday, September 30
2023 Toyota AFL Grand Final

Friday, October 6
AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period Commences (9am)

Friday, October 6 to Sunday, October 8
National Draft Combine

Sunday, October 8
Victorian State Draft Combine

Monday, October 9
Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period Commences – Players & Selections (9am)
AFL Draft Nominations open (9am)

Friday, October 13
Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period (5pm).

Saturday, October 14
SA/NT State Combine

Sunday, October 15
WA State Combine

Monday, October 16
AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer 3 Day Period Ends (5pm)

Wednesday, October 18
Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period Closes – Players & Selections (7.30pm)

Monday, October 23
Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period Opens – Selections Only (9am)

Wednesday, November 1
AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) Commences (9am)

Wednesday November 8
AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) Closes (5pm)

Friday, November 10
AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) Commences (9am)
AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) Closes (5pm)
Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period Closes –Selections Only (5pm)

Monday, November 13
AFL Draft Nominations close (by 3pm)

Monday, November 20
AFL National Draft - Round 1 (time and venue TBA)

Tuesday, November 21
Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period – Selections Only (5.45pm - 6.30pm)
AFL National Draft - Round 2 until completion (7pm)
Rookie Promotion to Primary List (post completion of National Draft)
AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) (post completion of National Draft)

Wednesday, November 22
AFL Pre-Season Draft (3pm)
AFL Rookie Draft (3.20pm)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back