List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
Have we traded Gaff for pick 4 yet?

EDIT: My mistake - pick 4 for Gaff, Darling, Sheed and a future third sweetening lollie.

Would you pick Moir at 19? Or is he just too much of a risk that early?
Wouldn’t pick him at all personally. Had 6 possessions and one goal in a reserves match last week.
Collard’s season has been better. There are other small/medium sized forwards in front of Moir.

Rory atkins at GC has 2 years left at good coin .
Recon GC may try move him and chol on to try and get dusty for a couple of years .
I know Atkins is a soft outside type but he is quick , a good ball user forward of centre and can kick goals .

He is 28 and should add some experience to that age bracket we lack .

GC would have to compensate us of course
Can’t see it being 4 (which you think goes for Dusty) and they need the points

Eddie Maslic: West Coast Eagles to trial basketballer as Category B rookie after spotting him in retail store
Craig O’Donoghue & Glen Quartermain
The West Australian
Thu, 7 September 2023 8:30PM
Comments

A 211cm and 118kg basketballer who spent two years playing in Europe will trial with West Coast next week as the club looks as new ways to bolster its ruck division.

In an extraordinary sliding doors moment, Eddie Maslic was spotted by a West Coast contact while working in retail and questioned about his desire to switch sports under the AFL’s Category B rookie system.

Clubs are permitted to sign athletes who haven’t played football at any level for three years, without having to go through the draft, and those players don’t take up a normal position on the rookie list .

Maslic last played football in 2018 while he was in high school. He moved to Perth early in 2023 after signing to play for Joondalup Wolves in NBL1 West, and remained in WA despite ending his time with the club early.

The Eagles are looking at ways to have more ruck options following Nic Naitanui’s retirement and will assess Maslic’s prospects on Tuesday.

‘I’m excited. I am super keen to see what it has to offer. I can see opportunities which would benefit me and the club. There’s no guarantees. We’ll have to see how it goes,” Maslic told The West Australian.

“I was at work and a customer who comes in every now and then, and who I’d had a chat to a few times, came up to me and said they’d like to introduce me to someone (at West Coast).

“I briefly played footy and I’ve thought about it in the past. It does seem like a great opportunity because I’m a sportsperson all round. I love sport in general so why not give it a crack?”

The Eagles signed former basketballer Patrick Bines in 2018 after previously recruiting baseballer Corey Adamson. They also spent time in talks with Olympic basketballer Mark Worthington.

Maslic, 22, grew up in Melbourne, then moved to Queensland before playing basketball in Spain. He believes switching to AFL is a viable option given his size and strength would suit being a ruckman.

“It’ll be a bit of a different scenario but I’m open to adjust and accommodate to that sort of thing. All it takes is time,” he said.

“I consider myself a strong person. I’m a big body. I feel like I have the strength. Athletically I’m not too bad. At the start of the year I was tested for vertical leap and it was about 34 inches. My wingspan is around seven foot.”

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Eddie Maslic: West Coast Eagles to trial basketballer as Category B rookie after spotting him in retail store
The West Australian
Comments

A 211cm and 118kg basketballer who spent two years playing in Europe will trial with West Coast next week as the club looks as new ways to bolster its ruck division.

In an extraordinary sliding doors moment, Eddie Maslic was spotted by a West Coast contact while working in retail and questioned about his desire to switch sports under the AFL’s Category B rookie system.

Clubs are permitted to sign athletes who haven’t played football at any level for three years, without having to go through the draft, and those players don’t take up a normal position on the rookie list .

Maslic last played football in 2018 while he was in high school. He moved to Perth early in 2023 after signing to play for Joondalup Wolves in NBL1 West, and remained in WA despite ending his time with the club early.

The Eagles are looking at ways to have more ruck options following Nic Naitanui’s retirement and will assess Maslic’s prospects on Tuesday.

‘I’m excited. I am super keen to see what it has to offer. I can see opportunities which would benefit me and the club. There’s no guarantees. We’ll have to see how it goes,” Maslic told The West Australian.

“I was at work and a customer who comes in every now and then, and who I’d had a chat to a few times, came up to me and said they’d like to introduce me to someone (at West Coast).

“I briefly played footy and I’ve thought about it in the past. It does seem like a great opportunity because I’m a sportsperson all round. I love sport in general so why not give it a crack?”

The Eagles signed former basketballer Patrick Bines in 2018 after previously recruiting baseballer Corey Adamson. They also spent time in talks with Olympic basketballer Mark Worthington.

Maslic, 22, grew up in Melbourne, then moved to Queensland before playing basketball in Spain. He believes switching to AFL is a viable option given his size and strength would suit being a ruckman.

“It’ll be a bit of a different scenario but I’m open to adjust and accommodate to that sort of thing. All it takes is time,” he said.

“I consider myself a strong person. I’m a big body. I feel like I have the strength. Athletically I’m not too bad. At the start of the year I was tested for vertical leap and it was about 34 inches. My wingspan is around seven foot.”

Got in just before me :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t see it being 4 (which you think goes for Dusty) and they need the points
Dusty is on 1.4 million a year . If Dusty does go GC shouldn't be paying anything in the way of picks .

GC would have to be taken out the back and shot if they gave up pick 4 for dusty.

Dusty would be a salary dump and Richmond would need to stump up something to move him and probably pay part of his salary

But also need to take into account Priddis v Culley kicking.

One was like a having your cheeks burnt by a painful bowel movement after a big night out in Bali, whilst the other is the foot massage before going out for the big night.
I like a "foot" massage of my third leg too.

Retail background.
0c50ccb7b2195bf8d03a5be9a0e746d2

I can’t decide whether seeing a giant kid behind the counter of a shoe store and instantly looking to sign him as a Cat B rookie is inspired or desperate.
Well, the article makes it seem he was spotted in a chance encounter but he says in the article the WCE person is a regular, so no doubt he's spoken to them in the past about his background.

The West Australian
Comments

Interesting as Ollie-Hayes Brown (208cm/114kg) who was a development player with the Wildcats just got signed on as a cat B for the Tigers.

Hardeman is a very west coast type pick. The problem is you end up with too many of this sort of player. He doesn't have elite speed, run and carry and isn't an elite user of the ball.

He's not slow, he has good but not great skills but does the club really need a player that's probably going to peak somewhere between cole and duggan?

He's a real reach for me at 19. There are players that are 100% crossed off my list that are rated 15-30 who I just don't want. Certain red flags I just go no, won't make it at afl level. But we need to look forward and how the game is progressing. We need our HB's to be able to defend but they then need an elite quality. Whether that is run, carry and average disposal, elite disposal or great defensively with a hugely penetrating kick then sure, but for a player who to my mind is just solid i'd rather go down a different path.

What about leadership and footy iq? Is he a smart player who can organise a defense?
He seems a fairly obvious choice around our pick if not already gone. Who do you think are the other options around our 2nd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back