List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
I remember some were calling it more important than Pick 1 after we beat the Doggies 😬

Have we taken the time to appreciate how great it is to both beat the Doggies and still have Pick 1/19?

Everyone got to have their cake and eat it too regardless of list rebuild philosophy.

I remember some were calling it more important than Pick 1 after we beat the Doggies 😬

If we 'earnt' pick 1 on its merits it's far more palatable than instructing players to throw a game or making it difficult for them to win. Someone has to 'win' the wooden spoon every year, this year it's us.

We've got the best of both worlds - winning belief even when the cattle aren't there, and access to the best youngster first up.

I mean it does give you a commodity that can be traded for some additional access to the pointier end of the draft. And you just never know what might get offered if there is a player that a team just falls in love with in that second round.
When we had that pick, we traded it for O’Neill & Bailey Williams. O’Neill is more than likely on the chopping block, but by far have had better AFL careers than Jez McLennan who the suns traded up to get at that pick. Given our supposed interest in O’Neill pre-draft anyway it effectively gave us BBW for nothing. In our current position I think if we got a similar deal we take it.

I mean it’s no pick 1, but it’s in all likelihood 19 will be a pick you are more likely to trade away.

I mean it does give you a commodity that can be traded for some additional access to the pointier end of the draft. And you just never know what might get offered if there is a player that a team just falls in love with in that second round.
When we had that pick, we traded it for O’Neill & Bailey Williams. O’Neill is more than likely on the chopping block, but by far have had better AFL careers than Jez McLennan who the suns traded up to get at that pick. Given our supposed interest in O’Neill pre-draft anyway it effectively gave us BBW for nothing. In our current position I think if we got a similar deal we take it.

I mean it’s no pick 1, but it’s in all likelihood 19 will be a pick you are more likely to trade away.
Could we trade pick 19 in the trade period to get a couple of picks with a higher points rating to then put us in a better position to get Gold Coasts pick 4? Personally i would take 2 potential superstars over 4 depth/future delist players any day of the week.

Could we trade pick 19 in the trade period to get a couple of picks with a higher points rating to then put us in a better position to get Gold Coasts pick 4? Personally i would take 2 potential superstars over 4 depth/future delist players any day of the week.
Pick 4 isn't happening without next year's F1.

Two things WCE_phil

Earlier you mentioned that you did not want Edwards, I assume you meant Mitch Edwards. Whats the knock on him? Earlier in the year he was what touted top 10.

And considering you are all in back behind the scenes any rumours of godfather offers for Pick 1 that is acceptable?

Not a lot new in this but it’s a decent summary nonetheless

Main takeaways
• Mentions nine uncontracted eagles and there’s no discussion of Culley indicating that a deals been done
• Waterman set to resume negotiations with people “cautiously optimistic” he’ll be at the club next year - makes it sound like there was doubt he would be
• Petrevski-Seton considered some chance to survive whilst Witherden is expected to get a new deal
• Apparently WCE have denied Winder has officially been told he won’t be getting a contract although the expectation is he won’t be recontracted
• Suggests the delay in announcing delistings/new contracts is due to the club wanting to keep options open with at least two trade targets in their sights - Robertson and a ruck. Surprisingly no mention of Brockman who appears the most likely acquisition

As many as six West Coast players may have to wait for trade outcomes before knowing their fate at the Eagles after the club adopted a wait-and-see approach on a number of unsigned youngsters following exit interviews.
Of nine uncontracted Eagles, Alex Witherden’s top 10 finish in the club best and fairest is expected to earn him a fresh deal.

Jake Waterman is set to resume negotiations on a new contract with sources close to the forward “cautiously optimistic” he will be at the club and Samo Petrevski-Seton is regarded as some chance to survive after managing 13 games this season when hindered by injury for much of the year.

Xavier O’Neill, Luke Foley, Greg Clark, Connor West and Zane Trew face more uncertain futures, while Isiah Winder is not expected to be at the club next year despite the Eagles stressing earlier this week that he had not been officially told he wouldn’t get a new contract.

West Coast is expected to make between eight and 10 changes to its list as part of the biggest rebuild in the club’s history.

The rebuild started as what the club labelled a list in transition at the draft two years but has been ramped up off the back of two and three win seasons in 2022 and 2023, culminating in the club’s second wooden spoon this season.

Three of the changes will come from the retirements of captain Luke Shuey, former captain Shannon Hurn and ruckman Nic Naitanui, leaving at least five changes to come from delistings.

Industry sources believe the Eagles reasons for trying to keep some flexibility open on what final delistings are is linked to the likely pursuit of at least two targets in the AFL’s trade period after the season.

The Eagles are known to be interested in Brisbane midfielder Deven Robertson but will have to wait until Robertson’s finals commitments finish with the Lions to progress talks. Robertson, who has managed 38 games in four seasons at Brisbane, has played 10 of Brisbane’s last 13 games and is in the team again for Saturday night’s qualifying final against Port Adelaide at the Gabba.

West Coast is also expected to try to bring in a mature ruck option as support for the much improved Bailey Williams who is still regarded as more of a forward/ruck than a number one ruckman.

The Eagles players whose spots hang in the balance:

Xavier O’Neill (23): Drafted in 2018 as a second-round pick, 28th overall. He has played 39 games since his 2020 debut and played 15 times this year but did not play in either of the last two matches of the season after 17 disposals in the 101 point loss to Fremantle in round 22.

Luke Foley (23): Drafted in 2018 as a second-round selection, pick 31 overall. He has played 32 games since a 2020 debut. He was a regular in the AFL team in 2022 when he played 16 of the 22 games amid injury and Covid-19 chaos but played just nine times this year and like O’Neill was dropped from the team after the big loss against Fremantle. Has good size and skill but appears to have fallen out of favour with coach Adam Simpson.

Greg Clark (26): Drafted in 2021 as a fourth-round selection, pick 62 overall. He was picked after a stellar role in Subiaco’s 2021 WAFL premiership. He was drafted to bring in mature bodied depth to a list that the Eagles believed still had a classy top end but was shallow. The 195cm Clark is a big bodied inside midfielder but in the 21 games he has played over two seasons, including 12 this year, he has been used primarily on a wing which hasn’t suited his strengths.

Connor West (24): Was drafted in 2021 in the mid-season rookie draft, had some impact in the back half of that year when he played five games and followed that with 14 in 2022. Had his 2023 season stopped with injury after playing nine games. Is a midfielder who occasionally has been used as a pressure forward. Willing competitor but there is a feeling that he has given this his best shot and not quite got there. Has managed 28 games in his two and a half seasons at the club.

Zane Trew (21): Was a 2021 rookie draft selection, 11th overall who was delisted and then relisted as a rookie at the end of 2022. He played just twice in 2022 and four times this season. He played in the round 23 win over the Western Bulldogs when he came on in the final term and had 7 disposals with a goal to play a role in a big win but he was dropped again the following week. Inside midfielder who has good stoppage craft but has been out of favour for some time now.

Isiah Winder (21): Was a fifth round selection at the 2020 national draft, pick 57 overall. He played once in 2021 and six times in 2022. Did not play senior football at all in 2023 when an off-season misdemeanour at the Indigenous summit in Geelong landed him in court after a fight over a taxi outside a Geelong hotel. He was disciplined by the club, then suffered a knee injury early in the season which sidelined him for three months. He played steadily on return to the Eagles WAFL line up and the Eagles are adamant they have not informed him he will not get a contract but sources close to Winder appear certain he will not be at the club next year.

I believe Fremantle were getting some good offers in 2021 but decided Johnson was a better option

But yeah it’s not really the bonanza I thought it was prior to looking into it a little while ago
iirc hawks offered a future first for the pick (with something back you'd think) and they still picked Johnson.

He's looking a better player right now than Erasmus and freo took him with an earlier pick. Hope we dont regret taking Chesser instead.

Two things WCE_phil

Earlier you mentioned that you did not want Edwards, I assume you meant Mitch Edwards. Whats the knock on him? Earlier in the year he was what touted top 10.

And considering you are all in back behind the scenes any rumours of godfather offers for Pick 1 that is acceptable?

A few posters have been putting two and two together after following the last 9-12 months of Phil's posts regarding a local, highly touted prospect with some off field issues that could see him go undrafted.

My understanding is on talent alone Edwards would be selected but there's other stuff at play and it will come down to which clubs know and who wants to take a risk, perceived or otherwise. I have no idea what the issues are, and I don't think Phil is keen to divulge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And I could see the Suns being veey interested in pick 19 as well.

The Suns would take that pick to the draft with the plan to split it for multiple later picks for points. And due to being the 1st pick on the 2nd night teams will pay for that.

That pick is worth a little bit more just because of when it gets used.

Pick 10 is a nice pick. Wilson and some solid mids around there.

Or we go early on a tall after picking Reid ar 1.

Last edited:
If Suns trade for pick 10,17 from Doggies, then surely pick 10 should be looked at by us. Pick 19 + 30 odd for 10. 10 should nab us Darcy Wilson whose the type we need
Would love to somehow get pick 4 for Curtin/McKercher but what you propose is more realistic. Pick 10 would still be a great get although from what I can gather the draft evens out a fair bit from picks 10-20

Been following Emerson Jeka for a few seasons.
He could be an absolute bargain basement Moneyball section.
Playing KD for Box Hill and Hawks KD’s are one of their stronger areas.
If Hawks elect to move him on I’d get him over for a fitness test quickly.

• Suggests the delay in announcing delistings/new contracts is due to the club wanting to keep options open with at least two trade targets in their sights - Robertson and a ruck. Surprisingly no mention of Brockman who appears the most likely acquisition

Woudve thought this would be pretty obvious (except course to those working at The West)

If Suns trade for pick 10,17 from Doggies, then surely pick 10 should be looked at by us. Pick 19 + 30 odd for 10. 10 should nab us Darcy Wilson whose the type we need

Nothing wrong with this idea, however pick 19 and 35 for 10 is a very marginal increase in points for the suns. They’ll get far better offers

C4D53535-8995-4CE8-84F8-DB49EE92B46C.jpeg

Even adding pick 54 doesn’t change the equation much

567BEF5B-D034-46CA-B756-9581318008A6.jpeg

If Melbourne go out next week and then offload their pick 14 to the Suns as part of a trade for pick 4, then that might be more gettable. Gives us a look at Caleb Windsor or perhaps Ollie Murphy

9DB91562-4271-4FC3-8B65-EF1E173FCFD1.jpeg

Nothing wrong with this idea, however pick 19 and 35 for 10 is a very marginal increase in points for the suns. They’ll get far better offers

View attachment 1797967

Even adding pick 54 doesn’t change the equation much

View attachment 1797967

If Melbourne go out next week and then offload their pick 14 to the Suns as part of a trade for pick 4, then that might be more gettable. Gives us a look at Caleb Windsor or perhaps Ollie Murphy

View attachment 1797967
You're right. It'd probably have to be 19+F2 for 10 with F3 coming back perhaps?

Not a lot new in this but it’s a decent summary nonetheless

Main takeaways
• Mentions nine uncontracted eagles and there’s no discussion of Culley indicating that a deals been done
• Waterman set to resume negotiations with people “cautiously optimistic” he’ll be at the club next year - makes it sound like there was doubt he would be
• Petrevski-Seton considered some chance to survive whilst Witherden is expected to get a new deal
• Apparently WCE have denied Winder has officially been told he won’t be getting a contract although the expectation is he won’t be recontracted

Jake and the fam were absolutely pissed over the handling with his illness and the club medical team and that would have been the only limitation on him signing a new contract but he is 100% staying.

He lost a lot of weight, strength and conditioning and ruined the back end of the season but shouldn't affect him going forward.

Essential to the team going forward is getting a very nice deal

With Maric looking good as a third tall I'd say Waterman would be a handy signing on a small to moderate contract, not essential to the team on a very nice deal.

Jake and the fam were absolutely pissed over the handling with his illness and the club medical team and that would have been the only limitation on him signing a new contract but he is 100% staying.

He lost a lot of weight, strength and conditioning and ruined the back end of the season but shouldn't affect him going forward.

He effectively needs to put back on 10 kg's of muscle and get back to his very high level of cardio base. Waterman will/would be coming from a long way back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back