List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
If we pick Duursma at 3, I genuinely believe that’ll set us back 1-2 years. I know that sounds dramatic but he has major red flags, I don’t know why anyone would want to spend that high of a pick on a tweener sized forward all because he has “midfield potential” when he has shown absolutely zero midfield potential.

This is a quality melt. Drafting Duursma won’t set us back 1-2 years.

Duursma is still 17 years old, has elite goal sense and aerial ability and despite being a great size and good frame is built like a bean pole.

You’re right that he hasn’t shown his ability as a centre square mid, but he could easily start as a half forward that pushes up the ground to stoppage, and will be a forward half threat from game 1.

The McKercher v Duursma debate is an interesting one. McKerchers midfield game is already very refined. You know exactly what you’re getting. Duursma has more upside in my opinion.

Given where the game is heading, I’m always picking the guy with more weapons and forward half prowess.

His versatility also allows us to play him while we transition our midfield from Gaff/Sheed/Kelly/Yeo to Ginbey, Hewett, Chesser et al.

Hewett and Ginbey also have roles they can play other than midfield and Duursma is similar.

Duursma is still 17 years old, has elite goal sense and aerial ability and despite being a great size and good frame is built like a bean pole.

You’re right that he hasn’t shown his ability as a centre square mid, but he could easily start as a half forward that pushes up the ground to stoppage, and will be a forward half threat from game 1.

The McKercher v Duursma debate is an interesting one. McKerchers midfield game is already very refined. You know exactly what you’re getting. Duursma has more upside in my opinion.

Given where the game is heading, I’m always picking the guy with more weapons and forward half prowess.

His versatility also allows us to play him while we transition our midfield from Gaff/Sheed/Kelly/Yeo to Ginbey, Hewett, Chesser et al.

Hewett and Ginbey also have roles they can play other than midfield and Duursma is similar.

I think it does set us back, I also don’t agree Duursma has more realistic upside. Duursma’s upside is based on whether or not he can become an impact midfielder as well as still being a dangerous forward, I just don’t ever see him being a good midfielder in all honesty.

Duursma’s the type of guy you draft at the top end when your rebuild is close to being completed, he’s not a cornerstone type talent, that’s just my opinion.

I think it does set us back, I also don’t agree Duursma has more realistic upside. Duursma’s upside is based on whether or not he can become an impact midfielder as well as still being a dangerous forward, I just don’t ever see him being a good midfielder in all honesty.

Duursma’s the type of guy you draft at the top end when your rebuild is close to being completed, he’s not a cornerstone type talent, that’s just my opinion.

He’d be a great compliment to our midfield with 2-3 pre seasons under his belt.

Fyfe wasn’t a midfielder in his draft year, either.

I think making claims like it will set us back x years is an incredibly silly thing to say.

Your views on players in the draft is very narrow minded and static.

It’s almost like you think these guys are finished products at 18 years old.

Players develop and evolve when they enter a professional environment. When you’re assessing talent you’re looking for upside, and Duursma has it in spades.

Last edited:

Guys like Duursma who can't find there own footy can quite easily become a bust. McKercher >>>

Just because McKercher has a more refined midfield game, who says he can't improve exponentially. Put into an AFL system, he may be able to develop his power and explosive burst even further, become properly dual sided, increase depth on kicking, improve touch and hand speed even more.

He's starting from a high base but I think the sky is the limit. He's not far of Daicos at the same period for mine.

I love WCE_phil playing style comparison the Ben Cousins.

Just because McKercher has a more refined midfield game, who says he can't improve exponentially. Put into an AFL system, he may be able to develop his power and explosive burst even further, become properly dual sided, increase depth on kicking, improve touch and hand speed even more.

He's starting from a high base but I think the sky is the limit. He's not far of Daicos at the same period for mine.

I love WCE_phil playing style comparison the Ben Cousins.

I don’t want to sound like I’m anti-McKercher, and if my post comes across that way it wasn’t intended to.

If we draft McKercher I’d be very happy. I think my comment was intended to be more about challenging some prevailing narratives around d Duursma.

I think people here are severely underrating Duursma, and overly critical. I’d also say that the critique of his game is probably a bit outdated. It emerged when he had a flat spot in his season around the beginning of the champs.

Saying drafting Duursma would set our rebuild back 1-2 years isn’t an opinion, it’s making a statement of fact that is blatantly false and incorrect.

Personally I think Duursma’s versatility, his skill, his aerial ability and goal sense make him more dynamic, but I’d be more than happy with either.

Duursma reminds me a lot of Degoey like this. Question marks over contested ability but pretty dangerous forward.
Plays a bit of mid and fwd and will have 20 possessions and kick a goal a game. I like the versatility of a fwd going through the middle for spurts even if it's not a full time thing.

Less of a shit human too.

Academy game vs Carlton

WA vs Country

SA vs Country

He was useless in all three.

Now it all makes sense.

If the draft was in July and those were his last 3 games pre-draft your opinion would be right.

Like I said, there is a prevailing narrative about Duursma based on his performances in those games (or atleast 2/3 - I thought he was decent in the game v SA).

That view is quickly becoming outdated.

He’s played a handful of games since those you mentioned where he has performed significantly better, both as a forward and as a mid.

There’s a lot of clips of Duursma’s recent performances. I’d suggest you watch his game v VM, his CTL game v Bendigo or even his VFL performance v Coburg and revisit your opinion.

I don’t want to sound like I’m anti-McKercher, and if my post comes across that way it wasn’t intended to.

If we draft McKercher I’d be very happy. I think my comment was intended to be more about challenging some prevailing narratives around d Duursma.

I think people here are severely underrating Duursma, and overly critical. I’d also say that the critique of his game is probably a bit outdated. It emerged when he had a flat spot in his season around the beginning of the champs.

Saying drafting Duursma would set our rebuild back 1-2 years isn’t an opinion, it’s making a statement of fact that is blatantly false and incorrect.

Personally I think Duursma’s versatility, his skill, his aerial ability and goal sense make him more dynamic, but I’d be more than happy with either.
One thing is for sure, we will have the choice of some very good players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If its a choice out of mckercher or duursma then go the mid
Culley and Hewett are very polished around goals if you want goal kicking mids
We really need that accumulator type, and while mckercher is that hes also not the plodder that these types can quite often be

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Roos already down by 3 goals early in the first.
Yet just watch there be zero discussion of tanking when they lose a very winnable game whilst we get criticised for almost winning away from home against Essendon... :rolleyes:
Not to mention the recent media narrative surrounding pick #2 compensation for 2-metre potato Ben McKay, as if it's almost an afterthought at this stage. It's honestly ridiculous.
But hey, prove me wrong Norf. Come back and win it. Do it ;)

Probably staying at suns or going to vic but man if we could find a way to get Flanders over that’d be a great get

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Our forward line will be stacked next year.

Allen, Darling, Cripps, Ryan with one of J Williams/B Williams and 2 of Maric/Long/Brockman.

I’m also fully expecting us to draft Duursma who will start as a half forward, and Hewett playing mid and pinch hitting forward.

I’d like us to start phasing JD out of the forward line, especially if he continues his form from this year (he was good last week), but that’s highly unlikely while Simmo has the reigns.

Word is we want Bailey to play forward ruck. Which assumes we bring in a mature #1 ruck of some sorts.

Assuming all are fit.

B Willaims Darling Long
Cripps Allen Ryan

Bench forward Brockman

Depth : Maric, J Williams, SPS, developing draftees

Rotations: Hewett, Kelly

Word is we want Bailey to play forward ruck. Which assumes we bring in a mature #1 ruck of some sorts.

Assuming all are fit.

B Willaims Darling Long
Cripps Allen Ryan

Bench forward Brockman

Depth : Maric, J Williams, SPS, developing draftees

Rotations: Hewett, Kelly

I agree with your set up for the forward line, which I think is my point.

Given the stage we are at, I would rather us prioritise getting games into Maric or JWilliams over Darling.

Given what he has shown, Maric should be B22 everyday of the week, but with Darling in the team and the necessity of a 2nd ruck he could end up getting squeezed out.

Of all our senior players Darling is the most surplus to needs, but given he’s never been dropped in 12 years of footy I can’t see us choosing Maric (or J William) over him.

I agree with your set up for the forward line, which I think is my point.

Given the stage we are at, I would rather us prioritise getting games into Maric or JWilliams over Darling.

Given what he has shown, Maric should be B22 everyday of the week, but with Darling in the team and the necessity of a 2nd ruck he could end up getting squeezed out.

Of all our senior players Darling is the most surplus to needs, but given he’s never been dropped in 12 years of footy I can’t see us choosing Maric (or J William) over him.

It would be a great problem to have so Im not concerned at all.

It would mean we have fit players pushing each other for selection. If Maric in his 2nd year plays a few WAFL games so be it. He has a 10 + year career ahead of him.

We can also share the travel load if we have fit alternatives.

And when the #1 ruck is unavailable Bailey plays ruck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back