List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

Pies were winners because they had lots of picks. Gold coast because the author likes them and Sydney because they got a good forward and the rest were academy players.

Loser were norf because they did something unexpected and Brisbane because they did some kind of pick swap to match a bid. Also us.
So Fox have us as losers because we got Winder, not Brockman. And Norf didn't hit the Fox perceived needs well enough...

Yet ESPN gave Norf an A+ rating and WC an A. https://www.espn.co.uk/afl/story/_/id/30479846/afl-draft-2020-every-club-draft-haul-rated

Go figure.

Another thing that I am very happy about is that all three seem genuinely happy and excited to be WC recruits. Sure, two are local lads, but they still seemed over the moon.
Edwards, and almost as importantly, his family, also came across as genuinely excited. I know they had a falling out with Adelaide, but they seem as happy as can be with the outcome.

Another thing that I am very happy about is that all three seem genuinely happy and excited to be WC recruits. Sure, two are local lads, but they still seemed over the moon.
Edwards, and almost as importantly, his family, also came across as genuinely excited. I know they had a falling out with Adelaide, but they seem as happy as can be with the outcome.
Adelaide are in a terrible position right now, which would make the decision easier.

AFL Draft winners and losers: Eagles badly burnt by rivals, Pies get sweet revenge

Losers

WEST COAST EAGLES

The Eagles had long been tracked Tyler Brockman from Western Australia with their first selection. However, it was Hawthorn who swooped with Pick 46 and were able to grab the Subiaco product. Brockman averaged 4.7 tackles in the Colts and showed off his elite speed. In the end, the club had to settle for South Australian utility Luke Edwards, who didn’t receive a nomination by Adelaide heading into the draft. In the end, they went with a small at Pick 57 with Isiah Winder joining the club. His athletic traits are through the roof with the explosive small forward testing in the top 10 for vertical leap, 20m sprint and agility test.

:straining:

I swore there was another article this morning that gave our ND haul an A.

Cannot remember where I fell over that article.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Walked into this off season with our 2nd and 3rd round picks, Geelongs 3rd round pick and nothing else until the 5th round. So nothing in the first 30 and only one pick lower than 50 courtesy of last years Kelly trade.

Not much to work with in a draft compromised by NGA picks and a lack of exposed 2020 form to assess potential draftees.

Via trade we’ve brought in a 25 year old small pressure forward with 31 games experience and a 22 year old skilled ball using half back with 59 games experience. Neither are automatic best 22 selections but are thereabouts- Langdon adds depth to an area of weakness and Witherden shapes as a long term replacement for Hurn

So we filled a couple of list needs with ready made players but also added Ports future 2nd round pick and swapped our future 3rd for Sydney’s which should hopefully be an upgrade

All this was done for the sole loss of Hickey who barely played in 2020 thanks to a fully fit Naitanui and the emergence of Williams.

We also lost Schofield (retired) and Jetta (delisted) as experienced depth that will be missed. However, given they only played 4 and 6 games respectively it’s unlikely they’d have played much in 2021 had they been retained despite a valid view they should have been given more games this year.

Come draft day we had our first pick after 12 clubs had already finished for the night at what become pick 52 but brought in the son of an Adelaide gun who looks custom built to play the defensive winger role we all love so much, an explosive forward/mid with genuine skills and an inside mid with clean hands. We’ve added three potential mids to strengthen the weakest part of our list so at a minimum we’ve addressed a list need

To cap it all off we’ve rookied Venables in a sign that maybe there’s a path back to competitive football for the lad but more importantly that he is closer to being able to live a normal life even if contact sport remains too high a risk

So with little to work with we’ve added a couple of borderline best 22 players ready to play and rolled the dice three times for a chance to find more mids. Didn’t lose much on the way out and strengthened our position in a less compromised 2021 draft.

For the untrained eye it looks like a really solid body of work from the front office and something they should be pleased with

Now, glass half empty time in no particular order.

• Trading out Hickey leaves us with the injury prone and inconsistent Vardy as our sole experienced ruck depth
• Despite his perceived defensive deficiencies Jetta remained one of the best kicks in the league and in a side that lacked imagination off half back he was missed
• Witherden is highly rated as a good ball user but he was squeezed out at Brisbane due to issues as a defender and a lack of pace
• Langdon does apply front half pressure but averages less than a goal a game
• Edwards wasn’t good enough for the crows to nominate as a father/son although admittedly there’s some history between Adelaide and the family that may have had an impact there. Also Tyson Edwards was taken in the 1994 version of the rookie draft so there’s a family history of succeeding despite being a late pick
• There’s no half glass empty about Winder. Precisely the type of player we used to overlook but has an X sized factor to him you could see from space
• Trew was a highly rated mid expected to go during the draft proper butwas surprisingly overlooked. Is a popular selection among those in the know. Remember reading similar sentiments last year about Mitch O’Neill who is no longer on our list
• I have no issue with Venables selection and I’m glad we’ve thrown him a metaphorical lifeline but there’s a genuine possibility we’ve used up a list spot on someone who won’t play again.

Just to be clear, I’m not saying any of those points are correct just that we do need to be mindful that things don’t always go to plan

Going forward there’s the possibility we recruit Ugle as a cat B rookie which should be a free hit no brainer and subject to the vagaries of the AFL list rules a spot or two may open up to add a SSP selection pending Willie’s hearing and Venables recovery

In his first crack in the list manager’s seat Darren Glass has had a pretty solid hitout

We can have players train on with us and move either Rioli or Venables to the inactive list at any stage if they aren't going to play this year. We can then fill either position at either the SSP or mid year draft.

Venables could be on the list as a rookie purely in name and another player taking his spot until he proves he is completely ready to play football. (I am 99% certain he will never play another senior game)

The afl and asada/wada are a complete joke in that we are post 2 years of drafting and still without a resolution/update on willie rioli. I won't go into listing their other deficiencies here but even with all our list promise they are 1 year of tampering with the fixture away from me having gone from watching 8, then 9 games a round down to 1 and finally none.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walked into this off season with our 2nd and 3rd round picks, Geelongs 3rd round pick and nothing else until the 5th round. So nothing in the first 30 and only one pick lower than 50 courtesy of last years Kelly trade.

Not much to work with in a draft compromised by NGA picks and a lack of exposed 2020 form to assess potential draftees.

Via trade we’ve brought in a 25 year old small pressure forward with 31 games experience and a 22 year old skilled ball using half back with 59 games experience. Neither are automatic best 22 selections but are thereabouts- Langdon adds depth to an area of weakness and Witherden shapes as a long term replacement for Hurn

So we filled a couple of list needs with ready made players but also added Ports future 2nd round pick and swapped our future 3rd for Sydney’s which should hopefully be an upgrade

All this was done for the sole loss of Hickey who barely played in 2020 thanks to a fully fit Naitanui and the emergence of Williams.

We also lost Schofield (retired) and Jetta (delisted) as experienced depth that will be missed. However, given they only played 4 and 6 games respectively it’s unlikely they’d have played much in 2021 had they been retained despite a valid view they should have been given more games this year.

Come draft day we had our first pick after 12 clubs had already finished for the night at what become pick 52 but brought in the son of an Adelaide gun who looks custom built to play the defensive winger role we all love so much, an explosive forward/mid with genuine skills and an inside mid with clean hands. We’ve added three potential mids to strengthen the weakest part of our list so at a minimum we’ve addressed a list need

To cap it all off we’ve rookied Venables in a sign that maybe there’s a path back to competitive football for the lad but more importantly that he is closer to being able to live a normal life even if contact sport remains too high a risk

So with little to work with we’ve added a couple of borderline best 22 players ready to play and rolled the dice three times for a chance to find more mids. Didn’t lose much on the way out and strengthened our position in a less compromised 2021 draft.

For the untrained eye it looks like a really solid body of work from the front office and something they should be pleased with

• Trading out Hickey leaves us with the injury prone and inconsistent Vardy as our sole experienced ruck depth
• Despite his perceived defensive deficiencies Jetta remained one of the best kicks in the league and in a side that lacked imagination off half back he was missed
• Witherden is highly rated as a good ball user but he was squeezed out at Brisbane due to issues as a defender and a lack of pace
• Edwards wasn’t good enough for the crows to nominate as a father/son although admittedly there’s some history between Adelaide and the family that may have had an impact there. Also Tyson Edwards was taken in the 1994 version of the rookie draft so there’s a family history of succeeding despite being a late pick
• There’s no half glass empty about Winder. Precisely the type of player we used to overlook but has an X sized factor to him you could see from space
• Trew was a highly rated mid expected to go during the draft proper butwas surprisingly overlooked. Is a popular selection among those in the know. Remember reading similar sentiments last year about Mitch O’Neill who is no longer on our list
• I have no issue with Venables selection and I’m glad we’ve thrown him a metaphorical lifeline but there’s a genuine possibility we’ve used up a list spot on someone who won’t play again.

Just to be clear, I’m not saying any of those points are correct just that we do need to be mindful that things don’t always go to plan

Going forward there’s the possibility we recruit Ugle as a cat B rookie which should be a free hit no brainer and subject to the vagaries of the AFL list rules a spot or two may open up to add a SSP selection pending Willie’s hearing and Venables recovery

In his first crack in the list manager’s seat Darren Glass has had a pretty solid hitout
Agree on Edwards. The fact that Adelaide passed on him doesn’t mean much.
After all Sydney passed on Josh Dunkley and we know how that turned out.

He refers to him as ‘Pop Troy’ in a pre-draft interview, not sure of the official status there though.....and then later in the same interview says his Pop is a Freo supporter but his Dad is Eagles....who the hell knows! 😅

....that said, I’m no genealogist but I’d say iKit’s right on the realms of possible that those ages could work.
Within the indigenous community and culture relations dont necessarily have to be blood relations. Meaning that they call friends cousins, family friends aunties etc.

Agree on Edwards. The fact that Adelaide passed on him doesn’t mean much.
After all Sydney passed on Josh Dunkley and we know how that turned out.

Dunkley didn't want to go to Sydney though, he wanted to stay in Victoria so Swans respected his wishes.

Shane Tuck might be a better example of a famous father son who wasn't wanted by the old man's club. If Edwards can have a career as good we've done well.

Pretty good summary.

Interesting thing about WC's rookie selection. Talented player who copped a swipe from his u18 coach (quite correctly mind you). Reckon he might have a point to prove

Thanks - I admit that sometimes I might overwork the list in my spreadsheets!!Been done for at least 8 years

I used to get really pissed off by some pratt in Melbourne giving Norf and the Deesappointments great grades just because they were active in the trade or draft period. Now I just look at the total picture and I like to look at what we gave up and what we go it and where that leaves us. Thanks but I prefer my own analysis. And I have not always complemented O'Brien and his choices.

The AFL.com reporters are pretty insular and have narrow views. And rarely does Wells ever get complemented on his draft picks. Why? Because they did not rate the likes of Stewart and Podsiadly, they thought Twomey was not worth X at the trade, etc. There are too much of a herd mentality in the industry and sorather than getting annoyed that we are a loser at the draft and Collingwood were the winners, I prefer my own analysis.
Most if not all your thoughts are pretty good. I like stats and maths. I’m always surprised how difficult it is to find an accurate summary of a particular draft year. Of course I know a few but having it all in one table is great. Good luck with the inner circle of the blog kings. I see you piss them off a bit. But hey, they’re pretty informative as well. Big Footy is the first choice of myself for commentary. Great reading. Cheers.

Really like what I'm hearing from Glassy.

Glassy is a genuine God. When can we expect his nephew moving from Brisbane? Surely Glassy keeps sending him snapshots of 2014 and 2018 Margaret River Cabernets. If that doesn’t work any suggestions?

Missed the part where he used dad in the same interview as well, so yeah looks like one Pop is Troy, and the other one is a Dockers supporter

Man I feel old all of a sudden haha

Yep, I played school footy with Troy, and I’m not ready to have grandkids, let alone one starting an AFL career...

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So is Jack Darling a small forward?
Yeah Jack is a perfect example of why height isn’t everything. He probably the only key forward in the comp these days close to 190cm. While he plays bigger than he is , Rotham plays smaller than he is.

Pretty good summary.

Interesting thing about WC's rookie selection. Talented player who copped a swipe from his u18 coach (quite correctly mind you). Reckon he might have a point to prove

That motivation would also only be enhanced by being overlooked in the main draft and having to wait until the rookie draft.

Top Marks. As per usual the best summary and always looked for. I always want to get excited but never do. Remember Treacy, ONeil and Reid from just last year? All gone. However, I sort of rate this year. All three might have attitude to prove and they are still babies. I’ve got a feeling this might work long term but will the MC give them games? It’s going to be hard. Yeo will be wanting to be back and grumpy. Duggan looks good. Rioli back by the end of the year. Petrol be pissed off by bad reviews. Ryan continues to higher levels. Allen pushes Kennedy to the bench. Rotham becomes Schofield. The entire team secretly watch Richmond replays. Probably no youngsters going to run out for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back