List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
From a long time ago. Nobody drafted within the past 8 years is a starter in our midfield and our mids fall off dramatically when our regular starters aren't there. In fact, the inability to draft a decent mid since Sheed meant we had to trade the farm for Kelly because ROB just couldn't help himself and took Brander. He also took Ainsworth in the same draft when we could've had Worpel, who won the Hawks B&F either that year or the next.

Now we had 2 quality mids with the skills we are desperate for gift wrapped for us and we took the guy who's 2 main deficiencies are exactly what our team is weak at.

Unbelievable.

Again I'll direct you to Sheed and a lesser extent Duggan.

I get your point we need to draft more top end mid talent and I agree but I'm saying let's not trash the kid and let's trust the recruiting team.
He may turn out to be a good mid for us.

I think we were a little bit lose/lose here. Pick the local talent and there’d be criticism we didn’t go Hobbs the inside midfielder. Pick Chesser and we are ignoring local talent. Pick Sheldrick and we are accused of being worried about only appeasing Dark Sharks.

But we did a nice little piece of business to pick up a second rounder for next year for a 2 pick downgrade.

Johnson not going at anywhere between 12-20 was a bit of a surprise; but he isn’t the inside midfielder saviour either. It does make me wonder whether he’d have been more highly rated had he been in the Victorian boat of not playing so much footy. Our guy was rated top 10 prior to injury.

Pick up an inside midfielder tomorrow, and I think we are going ok.

I agree. The only possible acceptable explanation is with the rule changes the club believes a fast player from HB will generate way more goals than an inside mid. That's not how you win finals though....

I guess so but what's the point of all the half back recruits over the past few years if you keep recruiting more of them?
The rule changes showed themselves this year though. Look who struggled, WC/Richmond - weak contested game. Look who excelled, Bulldogs/Melbourne. That speaks for itself imo

Again I'll direct you to Sheed and a lesser extent Duggan.

I get your point we need to draft more top end mid talent and I agree but I'm saying let's not trash the kid and let's trust the recruiting team.
He may turn out to be a good mid for us.
Sheed is pathetic in the contest and only runs one way. Best if he sticks to a wing but he's just a better/bigger Masten. He was also drafted in 2013 and the cupboard is completely empty since.

Again, Duggan hasn't proven anything in the midfield that shows he can be in there full-time. I hope he does, jury's still out though.

I was perplexed by the pick, as this was a real opportunity.
Time and again this season (and last) the club have been shown to have a pretty flaky midfield group.
Kelly has turned up to a handful of games, Yeo and Shuey haven't been on the park all that much and look a shadow of their former selves, and the others aren't contributing enough.
When they're getting trounced, there's nobody who stands up in the middle and wrests momentum back; they rely largely on NicNat's brilliance or opposition turnover. I look at the grand finalists of this year and who carried them there; contested beasts through the middle who win the ball and create opportunities for teammates or can do it all themselves. The Dees were the gold standard all year largely because of two names who made it all possible from the centre square.

That could have been addressed somewhat by picking a highly rated contested ball winner, and it seemed a natural choice given how obvious it is to the footy world that it's a real weakness which drags down the rest of the list.

With that said, I also think about the putrid ball movement and how much it kills any chance of winning games when the player options are always backwards and sideways when they have possession (looking at you, Gaff).
This is clearly where the club sees the biggest weakness and identified transition from defense as the key that unlocks the rest of the list and what's left of the ageing talent we have on hand.
Hurn and JK signed on for 1 more year, and we have at best 2 seasons before the list goes through a wholesale rebuild.
What are the chances that Chesser is able to play from early 2022 and have an impact? And if he doesn't, then the club still has a handy player down the line who has shown (albeit at U16s level) potential.

I'm no footy genius but this seemed to me where the club is going with the pick.

Getting Cheaser would hurt way more than Venables because the need for a contested quality midfielder is much much greater than it was back in 2016.

Never had a better chance to FINALLY address the midfield gaping chasm in our list as we do in the 2021 draft.

Goodness gracious me oh boy wowee, wasn't i in for a treat later on that evening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing is for certain, the draft rankings now will not be the how the players rank at the end of their careers.

If Obrien has a hard on for Chesser that's fine, but read the room. Your job is to maximise our draft value and selections. He didn't do that.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I was perplexed by the pick, as this was a real opportunity.
Time and again this season (and last) the club have been shown to have a pretty flaky midfield group.
Kelly has turned up to a handful of games, Yeo and Shuey haven't been on the park all that much and look a shadow of their former selves, and the others aren't contributing enough.
When they're getting trounced, there's nobody who stands up in the middle and wrests momentum back; they rely largely on NicNat's brilliance or opposition turnover. I look at the grand finalists of this year and who carried them there; contested beasts through the middle who win the ball and create opportunities for teammates or can do it all themselves. The Dees were the gold standard all year largely because of two names who made it all possible from the centre square.

That could have been addressed somewhat by picking a highly rated contested ball winner, and it seemed a natural choice given how obvious it is to the footy world that it's a real weakness which drags down the rest of the list.

With that said, I also think about the putrid ball movement and how much it kills any chance of winning games when the player options are always backwards and sideways when they have possession (looking at you, Gaff).
This is clearly where the club sees the biggest weakness and identified transition from defense as the key that unlocks the rest of the list and what's left of the ageing talent we have on hand.
Hurn and JK signed on for 1 more year, and we have at best 2 seasons before the list goes through a wholesale rebuild.
What are the chances that Chesser is able to play from early 2022 and have an impact? And if he doesn't, then the club still has a handy player down the line who has shown (albeit at U16s level) potential.

I'm no footy genius but this seemed to me where the club is going with the pick.

The thing is, if that was under consideration then in Hobbs they passed upon the most ready-made player in the draft.

He will play in Round 1 next year for Essendon and the magnitude of what the club has done tonight will there for all to see.

Reckon Greg Ckark is a chance for us at pick 60 ....it's a big call but would be a quick fix .

Keen on us taking G.Clark with a late pick or in the rookie draft.

We wanted him to nominate for the mid-season draft so there is some interest for sure.

When was the last time we took a WA kid in the 1st round of the draft ? Sheed 8 years ago

I feel with the pieman based in Victoria he gets first pick and chooses players he likes and watches who are all Victorian when we have the exact player we desperately need under our noses in WA .

It could have been such a nice bit of business getting Johnson and an extra 2nd rounder .

Anyway hopefully we have a plan and don't do something stupid like over reaching for dittmah or tunstil with pick 35 when they are 45 + .

Good target would be future 3rd for the pick 45 GWS won't use in the fahey bid match . Then use that on dittmah

31 basso
35 Roberts
45 dittmah
60 fejo jr

Think we can still make this draft a really good one, we have the draft capital to get aggressive. I want one of MJ, Draper, Sonsie or Goater, think we should package 31 and a future 2nd to get into the early 20’s, I’d give Fremantle 31, a future 2nd and a future 3rd for MJ tbh

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

For me Luke Edwards needs to work on his contested game now. Chesser essentially brings what he brings on the outside but better.

Yeah fair point his one. Neither tackle or win much contested ball.

Although one was taken as a first round selection ahead of plenty of midfield talent, whilst the other was taken in the 4th round at pick 52.

Edwards is still a pup, so plenty of improvement to come. But i feel unless he lifts his contested game he'll get left behind (literally) as his speed is an issue.

Ok finally caught up on 30 odd pages of mainly melts. It was actually great poetry reading up full knowing what the ending was going to be. The melts also crashed the BF servers for a while.

Now onto the real stuff.
I have no doubt that Chesser will be a good player for us. It might be a slow burn and he's already the WCE BF whipping boy as of Hour 1 of being an Eagle but I think he'll come good.

Where I share the general consensus is about the worrying lack of genuine or classy midfielders. SPS might surprise us and XON might surprised us even more but the rest are more workman like or lack the A-class that you need to win grand finals. Not saying that Pick 10/12 or even 14 was going to solve it but MJ just gave me that Pendles vibe that you can plug in for 200 games and build around him. He just makes others around him better.

Anyways in still trying to get back to the positives, there are still quite a few gems available on the board. If we can somehow get MJ, Goater, Draper with our next pick (might need to trade up) and Dittmar, Roberts or even Warner with our second rounder, I can still walk out with a good haul.

Yeah fair point his one. Neither tackle or win much contested ball.

Although one was taken as a first round selection ahead of plenty of midfield talent, whilst the other was taken in the 4th round at pick 52.

Edwards is still a pup, so plenty of improvement to come. But i feel unless he lifts his contested game he'll get left behind (literally) as his speed is an issue.
Yeah that the way I see it too. He would also need to work on his tank and try and be macrea or sidebottom type mid thats runs all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back