List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Hobbs. Sinn and Johnson we all ranked higher than Chesser across all the other experts.

Chesser wasn't best available at 12 and we traded down.

Lmao, are we taking phantom drafts and recycled bf opinions as the holy grail of best available talent now ?

Just because west coast draft board differs from knightmare, doesn't mean we didn't take best available. I guarantee you that is exactly what wce did.

This is my big gripe with this period. People get fixated on players based off bs recycled phantom drafts and then think the sky is falling when thier club who has far greater access ranks a player differently.

And I'm not saying the team is beyond critiscm for thier drafting. They've made some mistakes for sure... Anndddd theyve also had no access to low picks for the last decade.. guess we should tell the club to stop being so successful.

If you actually go and look at the a grade mids taken after eagles picks in the last 5 or so years, there actually isn't a whole lot I'm losing sleep over.

Maybe we should try be more like freo. We may be shit year after year, but man draft nights will be glorious.

View attachment 1286802

Look at the size of Chesser's jumper. looks like we were going after Mac Andrew

Not sure if it's the oversized jumper but he looks a good size already. Looks pretty ripped compared to some of the kids there. Im thinking best case he ends up being a bigger sized Gaff with a better kick & speed.

Dittmar, Roberts, Warner & Knevitt are in a lower bracket of midfielder to Hobbs. So picking them up after leaving him on the board would be cold comfort.

Goater and Johnson on the other hand i'd be pretty chuffed if they are miraculously still available at pick 31. Even then who knows if Rohan would pick them :shrug:

At this point i'm keen on Conway because he's at least the best player of his position in this draft. Be nice to walk away with one list management box ticked :whitecheck:

Lmao, are we taking phantom drafts and recycled bf opinions as the holy grail of best available talent now ?

Just because west coast draft board differs from knightmare, doesn't mean we didn't take best available. I guarantee you that is exactly what wce did.

This is my big gripe with this period. People get fixated on players based off bs recycled phantom drafts and then think the sky is falling when thier club who has far greater access ranks a player differently.

And I'm not saying the team is beyond critiscm for thier drafting. They've made some mistakes for sure... Anndddd theyve also had no access to low picks for the last decade.. guess we should tell the club to stop being so successful.

If you actually go and look at the a grade mids taken after eagles picks in the last 5 or so years, there actually isn't a whole lot I'm losing sleep over.

Maybe we should try be more like freo. We may be sh*t year after year, but man draft nights will be glorious.
I remember that time we took the best player available in the draft, worked out well for us. I think we tried to turn him from the most highly rated key position player into a half back flank/wing and then delisted him just recently.

View attachment 1286802

Look at the size of Chesser's jumper. looks like we were going after Mac Andrew

Did O'Brien give him his own shirt or something? Looks like something given out to the kids in AusKick.

We seem miles off from being a professionally run outfit tonight - it's downright embarrassing.

13th in contested ball in 2021
Last in ground ball differential in 2021
Last in tackles in 2021

I know, let's try and remedy these deficiencies by drafting with our first pick an injury prone halfback whos exact weaknesses are listed as contested ball and tackling

But, he can run..........

The thing is, if that was under consideration then in Hobbs they passed upon the most ready-made player in the draft.

He will play in Round 1 next year for Essendon and the magnitude of what the club has done tonight will there for all to see.

Why pick a player that didn't want to leave home? Not wise at all.
I am all aboard the Chesser pick. 👍

Luke Edwards to me will end up a small defender. His elite trait is football IQ and decision making. But he's slow and not super contested.

I'm putting it out there now Winder will be one of our better players but hf and wing.

We just needed a combination of one class on ball mid and a bull. I really just can't understand wtf happened.

This to me is worse than the Venables pick as at least that was a weak draft. Sinn is literally 5cm taller, has shown more and is a much better kick while being just as athletic. If we were going to o a half back with midfield potential he was the one, or do we just not draft Vic metro kids in the first round anymore.

I am truly astonished. We have part time scouts as well as a full time recruitment team. Do they all just do all their work only for ****ing O'Brien to have the only decision on first round picks. Hey guys I'll pick first and then we'll discuss your opinions on later picks.

Yeah fair point his one. Neither tackle or win much contested ball.

Although one was taken as a first round selection ahead of plenty of midfield talent, whilst the other was taken in the 4th round at pick 52.

Edwards is still a pup, so plenty of improvement to come. But i feel unless he lifts his contested game he'll get left behind (literally) as his speed is an issue.
Edwards plays exactly like his old man .

Endurance athlete outside mid who runs hard both ways .

Luke is never going to be an inside player but nothing stopping him from him being a very good player.

I see him as our gaff replacement.

Chesser seems much more of a Isaac Smith offensive winger

I remember that time we took the best player available in the draft, worked out well for us. I think we tried to turn him from the most highly rated key position player into a half back flank/wing and then delisted him just recently.
That's cool , I'm not defending them. Just pointing out some blokes phantom draft isn't the be all and end all.

Although I'm sure the general consensus of power rankings at BF has been without flaw all these years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Edwards plays exactly like his old man .

Endurance athlete outside mid who runs hard both ways .

Luke is never going to be an inside player but nothing stopping him from him being a very good player.

I see him as our gaff replacement.

Chesser seems much more of a Isaac Smith offensive winger

Dunno about that one bruv.

From what i remember of Tyson he was a fairly explosive, smooth midfielder who could and did win plenty of his own ball, as well as hit the scoreboard.

Luke has got clean hands, tidy by hand and foot but is slow as treacle. I'm not sure what you can do at AFL level if you're slow, AND outside without elite skills.

I'm a fan of him, but i feel his ceiling after a few years of development isn't that huge, which is about what you'd expect for a pick 52.

Only played 7 games though to be fair, and i certainly haven't noticed him even being outside and a non tackler, so his stats are indeed surprising.

The club is going all in for 2022. It is a gamble that’s for sure, but hey if things go south (badly) we may just find ourselves with a very low pick. It’s the stuff of dreams. Some people’s flair for the dramatic never fails to amaze.

Good to get an extra pick for next years draft. Hoping we can (belatedly) bolster our midfield tomorrow, but tbh I am more energised by our off-field changes, the change and bolstering of our coaching staff is what is really exciting. I just want to see if they can get our group to maximise what’s left of their potential and talent before we do start a full rebuild. All in for one more crack 🤷‍♂️

My non scientific surmising of this troubled thread is that about 3/100 were pleased with this pick, 7/100 although not approving were ‘let’s wait and see’ and 90/100 are distraught and troubled like me.
All of us can see that we need a new engine and instead we get a deck repainting. A cute little 30’s pick for 2022 is not going to paper over this colossal blunder. Sadly, our team may have to experience the inevitable train wreck before things change and people are replaced, and a serious new direction is undertaken. It’s not Sheppard that needs replacing but Shuey and Yeo. Just can’t understand why we didn’t take Johnson or Hobbs when they were there waiting on the platter.

The fact we were all laughing about O’Brien taking another half back flanker in jest months ago to find come draft night that’s exactly what he has done makes my stomach churn.
He has an incredibly poor track record with drafting midfielders, all I wanted to see was us take a pure midfielder with our first pick instead of speculating.

The only two Mids that have made it that we drafted in the last ten years are Andrew Gaff and Dom Sheed.

That’s right...TWO IN TEN YEARS.

With Shuey, Redden over 30 and gone within two years and our reserves currently looking like Samo, Edwards, Trew, West and O’Neill we couldn’t have been in more dire need of a pure midfielder and yet we take a half back flanker who might be able to play wing with little to no exposure to football for two years over pure midfield options.

I just don’t understand how the club as a whole ticked off on this.

Think this is a long term strategic move. Build kpp and forward line. Then go tank for the wooden Spooner and use the top 5 picks on mids. Takes less time for mids to develop then other position?

Today was a missed opportunity. Given this ageing list, a ready made young midfielder who could play on the wing, was what this team required.

Instead we got a developing half back defender, who won't be challenging for a spot in the team in round 1. Sadly we don't have the time to wait for him to develop.

And despite what they say, that this current team can still contend, the recruiting suggests otherwise.

That's cool , I'm not defending them. Just pointing out some blokes phantom draft isn't the be all and end all.

Although I'm sure the general consensus of power rankings at BF has been without flaw all these years.
I think the angst is more because our contested ball in the middle was absolutely shit for the last couple of years, we had the chance to draft someone who could have potentially helped fix this and instead we performed the patented O'Brien HBF maneuver.
It's frustrating because virtually everyone in the world (except for our draft team) can identify that winning contested possessions in the midfield is an area we are seriously lacking in and year after year we draft every position except that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back