List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2022 superstar edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players -

Given the lack of young talent currently on the list, the prudent decision would be trading 1 or 2 for as many high round picks as possible. One player isn't fixing the mess our list management and draft "gurus" created.
Neither is two vanilla players in pick 10-15. Let me put it to you every club gets pick 18 at least every year. So I don't really know the hard ons for pick 18. Not every club gets a top 5 pick.

Neither is two vanilla players in pick 10-15. Let me put it to you every club gets pick 18 at least every year. So I don't really know the hard ons for pick 18. Not every club gets a top 5 pick.
Rubbish, if you scout properly, you're not getting anything vanilla in the first round.

I assume you mean that pick 18 to 50 is much of a muchness?

It's essentially a lottery. All recent flag sides are made up of 2x top 5 draft picks (that turned out to be A-graders), then an assortment of other high picks, then an assortment of those 18 - 50 picks. The 18 - 50 picks - you just don't know. If you pick up a solid flanker who is good enough to hold a spot in a flag side, you're doing well. But in this lot you can get lucky and find a player that turns into an A-grader. But it's a guess and I assume why you call them "All pick 18".

The two vanilla players at 10-15. Maybe you pick up your 4th best midfielder? Maybe a key defender who plays 200.

And the top 5 picks - we all know this is overwhelmingly where you find the A-graders.

BUT...

We haven't had a top 10 pick for a decade. The only real young talent we have is OA and Chesser is potential. Like you, I'm not getting a stiffy over pick 18, but the more picks we have in that top 30, the more chance we have of jagging draftees who turn out the be guns (gun flanker, gun small forward, gun key defender etc).

That's why I'm keen to offload a player or two. Players like Ryan and Rioli and Gov have real value. Neither will be in our next flag side, so I'd prefer to cash one in to get another ticket in the draw. I also wonder if the Bulldogs would be interested in Darling and if he would be interested in having a shot at a flag?

Given the lack of young talent currently on the list, the prudent decision would be trading 1 or 2 for as many high round picks as possible. One player isn't fixing the mess our list management and draft "gurus" created.
One draft isn’t fixing your “mess”.

There are very few quick fixes.

Getting the off field set up is more important than the on field playing group is more important at this stage.

One draft isn’t fixing your “mess”.

There are very few quick fixes.

Getting the off field set up is more important than the on field playing group is more important at this stage.
One draft isn't fixing the mess, neither is one high pick that said, I agree with your statement about the need to fix off-field first.

I assume you mean that pick 18 to 50 is much of a muchness?

It's essentially a lottery. All recent flag sides are made up of 2x top 5 draft picks (that turned out to be A-graders), then an assortment of other high picks, then an assortment of those 18 - 50 picks. The 18 - 50 picks - you just don't know. If you pick up a solid flanker who is good enough to hold a spot in a flag side, you're doing well. But in this lot you can get lucky and find a player that turns into an A-grader. But it's a guess and I assume why you call them "All pick 18".

The two vanilla players at 10-15. Maybe you pick up your 4th best midfielder? Maybe a key defender who plays 200.

And the top 5 picks - we all know this is overwhelmingly where you find the A-graders.

BUT...

We haven't had a top 10 pick for a decade. The only real young talent we have is OA and Chesser is potential. Like you, I'm not getting a stiffy over pick 18, but the more picks we have in that top 30, the more chance we have of jagging draftees who turn out the be guns (gun flanker, gun small forward, gun key defender etc).

That's why I'm keen to offload a player or two. Players like Ryan and Rioli and Gov have real value. Neither will be in our next flag side, so I'd prefer to cash one in to get another ticket in the draw. I also wonder if the Bulldogs would be interested in Darling and if he would be interested in having a shot at a flag?
I believe you need to balance who you let go and who you keep.

I would love to see a list of your best 22 players in the 26 to 30 age group, and those just outside the best 22. Say 23rd to 30th on list depth.

You’re going to need those guys to bring through your next flag potential flag side.

I believe you need to balance who you let go and who you keep.

I would love to see a list of your best 22 players in the 26 to 30 age group, and those just outside the best 22. Say 23rd to 30th on list depth.

You’re going to need those guys to bring through your next flag potential flag side.
But you don't need all of them. You can afford to trade out 1 or 2.

One draft isn't fixing the mess, neither is one high pick that said, I agree with your statement about the need to fix off-field first.
This my current take on WC current position.

Either this season is a one off, covid affected drop off, and while you’re at the bottom, it’s best to grab a high end talent while you have the chance, and your actual bottoming might not occur for another three to five years.

Or this is the beginning of WC drop down the ladder, exaggerated this year by covid interruptions, and WC might have a slight bounce back next season, before properly bottoming out in 2024.

If this is the beginning of a bottom out, my belief is it’s still best to grab the best talent available while you are at to top of the draft.

Many posters have tried to point out that Bontempeli or Oliver weren’t the top pick in their drafts, and that splitting pick 1 or 2 gives you more bites at the cherry.

My counter argument is both were pick 4, and it’s very unlikely that a team is going to trade pick 4 and another top 10 pick to move up in this draft.

Aaand (I love long “ands”) if you do trade back, you run the risk of a team in front of you picking the player you wanted, and that team walking away with the next Bontempeli or Oliver.

From memory, the last team to trade up for a top 2 pick was GWS. They actually were the team involved in trading up the last two times, (Tim Taranto and Lachlan Ash) though the second time they traded up to pick 4.

Both times they were trading up because they had academy prospects to match bids on. They did not give up two top 10 picks in the same draft in either trade, and they got back multiple late picks for points in both trades.

This my current take on WC current position.

Either this season is a one off, covid affected drop off, and while you’re at the bottom, it’s best to grab a high end talent while you have the chance, and your actual bottoming might not occur for another three to five years.

Or this is the beginning of WC drop down the ladder, exaggerated this year by covid interruptions, and WC might have a slight bounce back next season, before properly bottoming out in 2024.

If this is the beginning of a bottom out, my belief is it’s still best to grab the best talent available while you are at to top of the draft.

Many posters have tried to point out that Bontempeli or Oliver weren’t the top pick in their drafts, and that splitting pick 1 or 2 gives you more bites at the cherry.

My counter argument is both were pick 4, and it’s very unlikely that a team is going to trade pick 4 and another top 10 pick to move up in this draft.

Aaand (I love long “ands”) if you do trade back, you run the risk of a team in front of you picking the player you wanted, and that team walking away with the next Bontempeli or Oliver.

From memory, the last team to trade up for a top 2 pick was GWS. They actually were the team involved in trading up the last two times, (Tim Taranto and Lachlan Ash) though the second time they traded up to pick 4.

Both times they were trading up because they had academy prospects to match bids on. They did not give up two top 10 picks in the same draft in either trade, and they got back multiple late picks for points in both trades.
I think this is more accurate:

Had we had 0 injuries and no Covid, we'd sit in the bottom part of the top 8 if we changed our game style, and 9th - 15th had we persisted with our game style.

Then a bottom out would be inevitable given we haven't had a top 10 draft pick for a decade, we spent a couple of seasons picks on Kelly, and our top end talent is too old to be seriously competitive.

Covid and our injury crisis has allowed us to fall off a cliff. I know people are melting their shit over it, but it's a best case scenario given we don't have a time machine. OA, Barrass and the unknown quantity Chesser is all we have in the cupboard. No Covid and no injuries would have meant a slow fade out over 2-3 seasons. We're saving a couple of seasons by this cliff fall.

I don't see a jump back next year either - our guns are a year older, our standard players are out of confidence and form, we have very little real talent coming through, and changing the gamestyle after 8 years of uncontested ball is hard when the coach hasn't changed.

As bad as we are (and we're a giant shit sandwich), this is the recession we need to have. We need young top end talent and that can't be done from the middle of the ladder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But you don't need all of them. You can afford to trade out 1 or 2.
That’s why I said I would love to see a list of such players.

I agree you don’t need all of them, but I’ve said before, you really only trade the players who are over valued by other teams, and probably are close to being cooked or pushed out of the team by a younger player.

I’m not sure Ryan or Riolli are such players. But they would certainly have value to teams in the flag window, needing a small forward.

Gov possibly, but you need the player to want to leave, and a team willing to offer up an appropriate pick for him. And he’s really a two season rental at best.

The two players that I believe fit the type are Gaff and Yeo. But as an opposition fan, I wouldn’t want to pay a late first round pick for either, I’d much rather pay a second round pick, if I believed we were in the window now, and those players would push us over the top.

I’d like to believe teams are getting smarter, and are unlikely to overpay for players, such as the Beams to Collingwood trade.

That’s why I said I would love to see a list of such players.

I agree you don’t need all of them, but I’ve said before, you really only trade the players who are over valued by other teams, and probably are close to being cooked or pushed out of the team by a younger player.

I’m not sure Ryan or Riolli are such players. But they would certainly have value to teams in the flag window, needing a small forward.

Gov possibly, but you need the player to want to leave, and a team willing to offer up an appropriate pick for him. And he’s really a two season rental at best.

The two players that I believe fit the type are Gaff and Yeo. But as an opposition fan, I wouldn’t want to pay a late first round pick for either, I’d much rather pay a second round pick, if I believed we were in the window now, and those players would push us over the top.

I’d like to believe teams are getting smarter, and are unlikely to overpay for players, such as the Beams to Collingwood trade.
Every single Eagles supporter would take a second round pick for Gaff. Most would give him away for free with a boot imprint on his ass.

Who did we trade out the last time we were proper shit? Judd, Morton, Seaby, Staker, McKinley? Traded Gardiner and McDougall when reigning premiers. And I guess we weren't quite proper shit when we traded Judd either.

Sacked Cuz.

We won't see a Judd-like scenario this time around. Gardy and Cuz were drug****ed, so we won't see that happening again either. Which leaves us with players like Morton, Seaby, Staker and McKinley.

Nabbed us picks 22 (Seaby), 35 (Morton) 86 (McKinley) and Bradd Dalzeill (Staker and our own Pick 39)

Time to get ****ING EXCITED!!!

PS: While doing some research, old mate Nizzy has form:

West Coast Eagles chief executive Trevor Nisbett said that it was highly unlikely the club would renew [Gardiner's] contract at the end of the year.

Last edited:
To put things into perspective our percentage is now 6.2% lower than Fitzroy's was in their final season and 4.3% lower than GC in their first season. The only AFL year with a team having a lower % than ours was GWS first year. Even Sydney in 93 (widely considered by many as the worst normal season team of all time) end of year percentage was 11.3% higher than ours now. They won 1 game for the year.
Thanks for the context. I was wondering where our current 52% sat in the history of terrible seasons but couldn't be bothered doing any research. GWS' 46% in 2012 feels untouchable but we might give it a nudge after this weekend!

Hmm pick 4 (6) plus pick 5 (6) plus pick 17 or 18.

Or Horne-Francis.

I believe Horne-Francis has a Petracca like ceiling.

Wonder who Adelaide get this year.

Will be interesting to look back on.

With Nths 2nd coming back the pick 18 is only really a few pick slide, so it's really two firsts and a small upgrade.

Long way to go to tell but i reckon the Crows arent too upset right now it got rejected and they got Rachele.

Wow that's suprising but head to head surely this team beats GCS first season head to head? Maybe this is a tougher competition?
Harder to park guys behind the ball now. And impossible during CBD's.

It allows teams to score more freely when there is a significant mismatch in ability/application/fitness.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The top three picks of the last 10 years have not produced 30 A grade stars. And a majority of Brownlow medal winners in the last decade have come from outside the top 5 (Fyfe, Martin, Dangerfield, Neale, Mitchell). Now, obviously a top 5 pick gives you a greater chance of nailing the pick, but if there was an offer on for pic 4 or 5 and a high teens pick of, say, 10-15, I'd take it every time*. We do need to get young talent in, that's one way, finding a way to trade for a Robertson or Bruhn is another. Do both and the time at the bottom may not be as long as we fear.

We will most likely be getting a high pick again next year, so if we have laid some good foundations this year, we can take the higher pick to the draft next year.

* There's no guarantee an offer like this will be made this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back