List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2022 superstar edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players -

Ok Presh.

I just presented a range of popular opinions, some I don't share. I'm not calling them fanbois.

I am however calling people fanbois who think;

1. Even though Simmo has had 4 seasons of chances, he deserves more
2. We can just recruit a few good players and we're competitive again as early as next year
3. No one must criticise the football I support. Ever. Otherwise I will have a giant tanty.

Those people who think all will be good next year with a few tweaks are simply delusional. This generally comes about because these people think they are entitled to go to the football week in week out, year after year and watch their team play good football. It just doesn't work like that. To win flags you have to have good players. To get good players you need to have high draft picks.

Most us are going through or completed acceptance stage. The next stage is to follow individual players, like Judd, Kerr, Shuey previously. I don't know what planet you are on?
ZomboMeme 28052022111403.jpg

Id rather go after Taranto from GWS:cool:. Word is its him or Hopper (OOC 2023) who they cant fit in the cap.
Id take some good $$$ at him as he's a vic.
Terrible fit for both of us . We are not contending any time soon and GWS would expect more than a first rounder .

Guys like bruhn and Roberton on the other hand are young enough to come up with our next generation of high pick draftees whilst also not having to sell the farm for them .

People need to understand we have fallen off a cliff with most of our talent 28-30+ years old.

We need to spend at least 3 seasons near the bottom to replenish our talent .

Stop gaps like west , Clark and SPS are going to cut it

A player we should look at is Ben Ronke at Sydney he’s out out of contract at the end of year and Sydney struggling to give him games ..He’s a high pressure and tackling small fwd ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Because there is a new tv deal being thrashed out and both Marsh and Dangerfield are greedy kents

PA have already made statements about not finding the AFLW and that they expect to increase.
They AFL is still in debt to to the covid loans, and Gil said the AFL intends to pay the debt off as fast as possible.

I would expect stories to appear on afl.com if there were plans for lists to increase or for the tpp to increase.

Is Ramsden no good? How does he compare to someone like Broadbent, who I was pencilling in for our 2nd/3rd pick later this year.
Quick Answer: Broadbent can ruck, Ramsden can not.

Long Answer: Broadbent is one of the best ruck prospects I've seen come through. He's very good tap ruckman and very good around the ground. Seen him listed at 203cm to 205cm (wafl website old at 201) and 17 so might keep growing. He played WAFL league last year as a 16 year old, and last week was very good against 112kg 202cm Roberts.

Ramsden, I've never understood the hype. Seen him multiple times now and have thought he's not bad but not that great either. In the ruck he's average, it's his around the ground which is his strength. He's 202cm and a running machine (6 min for 2km), so essentially an extra mid. But you never walk away from a game thinking wow this guy is a game changer. He's just average, his around the ground is pretty good but not pick 1 good enough.
If we took him with our second, I'd be OK with that as again happy to take a risk and hope NN can teach him decent ruck craft.

I really want Broadbent, but we'll need another pick between 6 to 15 to get him IMO. Another ruck that provides some value in the draft is Hudson O'Keefe at Oakleigh Chargers. 202cm and very very good ruckman and around the ground, really looking forward to seeing him go head to head with Broadbent in the champs. Has a basketball background and it shows, pretty sure he's just switched to footy.
Thought he beat Ramsden in Metro vs Colgate young guns game.

Guys like bruhn and Roberton on the other hand are young enough to come up with our next generation of high pick draftees whilst also not having to sell the farm for them .

People need to understand we have fallen off a cliff with most of our talent 28-30+ years old.

We need to spend at least 3 seasons near the bottom to replenish our talent .

Stop gaps like west , Clark and SPS are going to cut it

We need to the professionals and hard bodies while these kids come through. For me guys like De boer, Callum Ward etc set standards and just professional through and through.

Shuey, Redden, Cripps, Nic Nat, Kennedy etc will be gone. So really hope guys like West, Clark and SPS although wont be there for the next premiership can help the guys become the leaders we need for the future.

Also agreed Robertson/Bruhn are exactly the kids with potential we need to target while we fill our boots in the draft in the next two years. Then from 2024/25 we should have decent war chest to target RFA/FA

202cm and very very good ruckman and around the ground, really looking forward to seeing him go head to head with Broadbent in the champs. Has a basketball background and it shows, pretty sure he's just switched to footy.

Who do think has the higher ceiling? However, what you described of Broadbent i wouldnt mind Big Cox 2.0

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. Tanner Bruhn is the one I think we should be going after.

Hasn’t signed an extension yet and is OoC this year (from last check).
Can’t get a game consistently in that strong (obvs on paper) GWS team and when he does, plays a lot in that graveyard HFF role.
He’s like what, 8th or 9th in line for consistent midfield time.

Now I have no idea if he’s about to resign or not or even if he’s remotely on our radar but I’ll be going to him… back yourself to beat out the likes of West, Clark, Xon, etc as that’s it.
I didn't even know who this guy was until we played GWS. He can play. But what does he cost? Is he not getting a game or is he a highly rated up and comer?

Ok Presh.

I just presented a range of popular opinions, some I don't share. I'm not calling them fanbois.

I am however calling people fanbois who think;

1. Even though Simmo has had 4 seasons of chances, he deserves more
2. We can just recruit a few good players and we're competitive again as early as next year
3. No one must criticise the football I support. Ever. Otherwise I will have a giant tanty.

Those people who think all will be good next year with a few tweaks are simply delusional. This generally comes about because these people think they are entitled to go to the football week in week out, year after year and watch their team play good football. It just doesn't work like that. To win flags you have to have good players. To get good players you need to have high draft picks.

Most us are going through or completed acceptance stage. The next stage is to follow individual players, like Judd, Kerr, Shuey previously. I don't know what planet you are on?
You're a real condescending POS.

I didn't even know who this guy was until we played GWS. He can play. But what does he cost? Is he not getting a game or is he a highly rated up and comer?
He was pick 12 in the 2020 draft. Hasn't extended so out of contract

Lived in Perth before moving to vic . Eagles supporter.

He is an inside mid who is about 10th in line for that position at GWS . Playing off the dreaded HFF at the moment .

We could probably get him for pick 37 if we convinced him to come to us and played hardball at the trade table .

Last edited:
So what will 2 picks mean for the list come year end and Cap?

We have 37 on the main list and 7 rookies. That is 44 and with now 4 on the LTI list, it comes down to an available of 40 players allowing the 2 picks. It does mean that we will have a total of 46 on our list and the max excluding inactive is 42.

Come season end, we will need to clear at least 7 to take the 3 compulsory picks. I suspect it will be more like delisting/retiring.

Of the LTI, none are out of contract.

We may have up to 9 rookies in Jones, Trew, West, Dixon, Strnadica, Naish, Joyce and 2 from the MSD. Of these, I see West, Jones and Naish offered contracts with the possibility of the 2 from next week asking for 18 month terms. So goodbye on the cards for Trew, Dixon, Strnadica, and Joyce - at least 4 rookies to go. Hopefully we choose 19/20 year old players with good upside in the MSD so we stay patient for 18 months.

I looks like the obvious JK and Hurn retiring and I would not be surprised to see Shuey and Redden join them. Shuey when available is good but he cannot stay on the park and cannot justify a list spot. Redden is good depth and has been consistent and may get another year but I think it is on small $$.

The heat will be on Nelson and B Williams to keep their spots. Neither would have much in trade value and will be vulnerable. Winder looked good against GWS and more of that sees him retain his spot. I think Jamieson has gone past B Williams so likely stays. One of Bailey or Strnadica may also stay given NicNat and C Edwards feels thin in ruck stocks. H Edwards will get an extension before the end of the year.

Main list it is up to 4 retiring and another 1 or 2 traded/delisted.

In terms of current salary cap squeeze - I believe there would be scope to go to the AFL and seek exemption for the top ups and to ask a player like Sheed or Jack to move a $100k back a year as the Salary Cap is expected to go up substantially and easy to balance back up.

Hopefully we have no long term contracts that are tied to cap % increases.

The likes of Waterman, Langdon, O'Neill and Petruccelle will be nervous going into 2023 as they look like the next group under threat. I hope we don't tell Cripps it will be his call in 223 as to go on - he looks like he is one of Simmo's favourites.

As a reminder on the big $ signings, Guv in under contract through to the end of 2023, Gaff to 2024 and Kelly/Darling to 2025.

So come 2024, we should have a good looking salary cap. We must refrain from signing up the average or fringe players beyond a 1 year deal and should not be paying overs. It will be interesting to see what draft class of Hough, Bazzo, JWilliams and Clark get by way of extensions. I would be fine in modest $$ and adding 2 years to all 4 (Chesser already extended).

We should also expect a likely lowish finish in 2023 meaning we get this and next year to build quality through the draft and wait until 2024 trading/2023 FA to bring in others. I am also OK going aggressive and use the end of season draft if we finish with pick 1 if it was a way to get one of English, Hill, or Robertson for free while Angus Brayshaw (RFA) is of interest.

If Shuey retires Redden will be offer another deal. 1 to 2 years. Need some older bigger mids out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back