List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2022 superstar edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players -

Great post mate but I would add Nelson to the dead set gone list.
OoC, takes up a list spot (which is crazy to think we need), has had a lot of years in the system already for not much upside and just isn't part of the next push for the flag.

Jones was woeful last night and is the type where-by at the Brownlow ends up with 4 votes somehow but isn't anywhere near the Top 10 in the B&F. One very good game followed by four, where is he games.

Bailey Williams I've completely written off as he just hasn't shown the improvement I expect. If anything I'm surprised this guy isn't in the Brander, Swift, Priddis, Chad Fletcher whipping boys club on here.

I suspect two of West, Stranadica and Dixon to be gone as we need the list spots. Unless we can move them to the rookie list but I'm not that privy as to the machinations of how it works.

SPS & Langdon to be jettison'ed end of 2023.
I actually feel sorry for Jones. Running flat out as instructed with defenders coming at him from all side and you have zero team mates providing options as the swarm closes in on you .

He does need to clean up his attack on the man . Gives away too many frees in out D50 .

There is alot to like though . Pace , hard tackling and willingness to take the game on through the corridor.

He has only played defence for a month

The Dons are all over Culley you would think / he’s exactly the player they need BBM and fits right in ..

If we take him you just know they’re taking Florenca

Narrative?

That story has been written for years. It involves half back flankers and midfield potential and U16 form preferred to anything since.

Injuries a plus. Injuries mean hidden gems.

I get why the current situation attracts heavy criticism, however if we pick with the same strategy as other teams then the only way to get better than then is to finish lower.

I'm not saying we've nailed drafts or haven't made errors, but for 20 years we've had less than 5 that we were properly bad.

I also remember reading that we'd risked a top 3 pick on a kid with dodgy shoulders.

I get why the current situation attracts heavy criticism, however if we pick with the same strategy as other teams then the only way to get better than then is to finish lower.

I'm not saying we've nailed drafts or haven't made errors, but for 20 years we've had less than 5 that we were properly bad.

I also remember reading that we'd risked a top 3 pick on a kid with dodgy shoulders.
Yes and the board melted when the Eagles drafted Hough, he goes alright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure if it was BigFooty or elsewhere but us picking Judd over Polak was one of the first AFL related internet meltdowns I ever witnessed.

I actually feel sorry for Jones. Running flat out as instructed with defenders coming at him from all side and you have zero team mates providing options as the swarm closes in on you .

He does need to clean up his attack on the man . Gives away too many frees in out D50 .

There is alot to like though . Pace , hard tackling and willingness to take the game on through the corridor.

He has only played defence for a month

Yeo played half baxk in the Beagles game yesterday.

Interesting move.

We have Clark and West getting played out of position. So even if we drafted Culley, he won't be seeing any game time this year, lett alone the adjustment to a new state and AFL system that's required.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Was thinking this. Everyone wants a big inside mid in Culley. When we already have Clark and West and they get played elsewhere. They do get some on ball minutes but not much.

Its a hard midfield to break into, people need to accept this. :think: :embarrassedv1: :embarrassedv1: :embarrassedv1: :embarrassedv1: :$ :$

Was thinking this. Everyone wants a big inside mid in Culley. When we already have Clark and West and they get played elsewhere. They do get some on ball minutes but not much.

Its a hard midfield to break into, people need to accept this. :think: :embarrassedv1: :embarrassedv1: :embarrassedv1: :embarrassedv1: :$ :$

I really like Clark but I'd rather put three years into developing Culley to an AFL player with adequate experience at 22/23 than Clark at 27/28 particularly with where our list is at. Clark/West/Kelly/Sheed should be start to be looked at as our older players with bodies to protect our young players instead of persisting with a Redden/Shuey/Gaff centre bounce setup when none of those players have the right mix of speed, strength and fitness now to compete.

Playing Redden/Shuey/Gaff would be a reasonable argument if we thought there was a reasonable mid term future that we'd be playing that or we thought that setup gave us a better chance at winning the game.

We're losing by 80-100 points a game and still running with this - why? What are we achieving?

I really like Clark but I'd rather put three years into developing Culley to an AFL player with adequate experience at 22/23 than Clark at 27/28 particularly with where our list is at. Clark/West/Kelly/Sheed should be start to be looked at as our older players with bodies to protect our young players instead of persisting with a Redden/Shuey/Gaff centre bounce setup when none of those players have the right mix of speed, strength and fitness now to compete.

Playing Redden/Shuey/Gaff would be a reasonable argument if we thought there was a reasonable mid term future that we'd be playing that or we thought that setup gave us a better chance at winning the game.

We're losing by 80-100 points a game and still running with this - why? What are we achieving?

In fairness we had 25 players to select from this week.

Shuey if he doesnt retire needs to go forward like Boak and push up the ground to support the developing mids.

Redden can play elsewhere to free up a spot in the guts but provide rotations and a big body.

Yeo moves to the half back line as some have mentioned, he played half back on the weekend.

West Coast’s list rebuild starts on Wednesday, with the club eyeing an engine-room boost with the first pick in the mid-season draft.

Dandenong Stingrays midfielder Jai Culley and Sandringham Dragons ruck-forward Max Ramsden are the favourites to go pick 1, while West Adelaide’s Josh Carmichael is also in contention.

The Eagles have two selections after Oscar Allen (foot) and Luke Edwards (groin) were put on the inactive list, but should they bring Tom Cole back from an ankle injury they’ll be left with just one.
West Coast have until 3pm Tuesday to either put another player on the inactive list through a long-term injury or retirement.

Culley is considered the obvious choice for the first pick, with the big-bodied midfielder touted as worthy of a first-round selection in the national draft later this year.

“The best talent there we’ll take,” Simpson said.
“We’ve got needs across the board, we’ve embarked on this last year.
“You don’t get access talent coming through, you get access to the previous talent and some of the guys have really excelled in this half of the season at junior level.”

This could give the Eagles effectively two first round draft picks for the price of one, with the battling club undoubtedly set to have a pick inside the top 10 for the first time since 2010, when they recruited Andrew Gaff with pick four.

South Fremantle mature midfielder Jake Florenca has been linked to the Eagles pick should they have one, with the 25-year-old averaging 33 disposals in the WAFL.

Fremantle will also have at least one pick after the retirement of Luke Valente in the pre-season, but where it will lie will depend on if other clubs open up spots on their list.

Shuey if he doesnt retire needs to go forward like Boak and push up the ground to support the developing mids.

Redden can play elsewhere to free up a spot in the guts but provide rotations and a big body.

Yeo moves to the half back line as some have mentioned, he played half back on the weekend.

Redden's position playing elsewhere is on the Wing. Would you prefer Him on a wing or Gaff, we know Simpson well. If Reddog attending every CBD keeps Gaff on the wing thats a huge positive.

We did but we're also playing 24/25 year olds out of position in preference of playing 31 years old at the centre bounce. If you're willing to play someone out of position while you're getting belted by 80-100 points each week why not say ok let's play the guys who don't need development/won't be here in a year or two for the upside of developing our next wave?

I probably didn't word my post as best as I had in my head. Given the subject is why take Culley, I'm looking forward to the future and hoping that we start playing the next wave so that Culley and potentially a Wardlaw are pushing for games whilst putting pressure on Kelly, Sheed, Yeo, West, Clark as our senior midfield rotations.

I don't believe Redden has a place on the list next year, particular while Simmo is claiming Shuey has alot more footy left in him and Gaff is contracted.

Redden's position playing elsewhere is on the Wing. Would you prefer Him on a wing or Gaff, we know Simpson well. If Reddog attending every CBD keeps Gaff on the wing thats a huge positive.

Gaff needs to move on.

You add Gaff and Sheed into the midfield / wings those are two spots you can use to develop the lighter, younger mids.

Next season we need to see Clark, Kelly and Chesser on ball working as a team.

Hough plays a year of wing with say a rotation in a back pocket for 30% of a game.

We MUST draft at least three mids in the MSD plus ND. Culley/ Carmichael, Wardlow and one other.

So thats three development mids we need to......well develop.

Not much development can be done when we have 25 to choose from each week. That is what Simo is trying to say IMO. When he says 'sticking fat and staying the course".

Gotta play with the cards we have and take small steps.

Last edited:

West Coast’s list rebuild starts on Wednesday, with the club eyeing an engine-room boost with the first pick in the mid-season draft.

Dandenong Stingrays midfielder Jai Culley and Sandringham Dragons ruck-forward Max Ramsden are the favourites to go pick 1, while West Adelaide’s Josh Carmichael is also in contention.

The Eagles have two selections after Oscar Allen (foot) and Luke Edwards (groin) were put on the inactive list, but should they bring Tom Cole back from an ankle injury they’ll be left with just one.
West Coast have until 3pm Tuesday to either put another player on the inactive list through a long-term injury or retirement.

Culley is considered the obvious choice for the first pick, with the big-bodied midfielder touted as worthy of a first-round selection in the national draft later this year.

“The best talent there we’ll take,” Simpson said.
“We’ve got needs across the board, we’ve embarked on this last year.
“You don’t get access talent coming through, you get access to the previous talent and some of the guys have really excelled in this half of the season at junior level.”

This could give the Eagles effectively two first round draft picks for the price of one, with the battling club undoubtedly set to have a pick inside the top 10 for the first time since 2010, when they recruited Andrew Gaff with pick four.

South Fremantle mature midfielder Jake Florenca has been linked to the Eagles pick should they have one, with the 25-year-old averaging 33 disposals in the WAFL.

Fremantle will also have at least one pick after the retirement of Luke Valente in the pre-season, but where it will lie will depend on if other clubs open up spots on their list.

Simpson's quotes there does make it sound like Culleys our guy

It may be because Simmo is delusional. He may think that once Yeo and Sheed and NicNat are match fit we can start winning games. Maybe we can win a few? But what's the point of climbing up the ladder with little mid-age talent and almost no young talent?

Unlike others, I don't have a massive problem. Put Clark and West in the middle and we're still getting flogged. We have to consider what we want from these players. For me, West is not quite AFL standard and filling in while we have injuries. Clark to me is not going to be an A-grader but can be the guy to hold the fort while our not yet drafted youngsters develop.

So what's the upside of throwing (particularly Clark) into the middle all the time to get slaughtered? Once Yeo retires, we potentially need a couple of seasons out of a solid big bodied mid. Why are people so hell bent on asking him to sink or swim now? Why are we in a rush to potentially burn this guy?

The reason behind why Simmo is doing this? I don't know. But I don't see the rush in throwing Clark straight in there full time. I don't see a huge upside and see a potential unwanted downside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back