List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2022 superstar edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players -

Gaff needs to move on.

You add Gaff and Sheed into the midfield / wings those are two spots you can use to develop the lighter, younger mids.

Next season weneed to see Clark, Kelly and Chesser on ball working as a team.

Hough plays a year of wing with say a rotation in a back pocket for 30% of a game.

We MUST draft at least three mids in the MSD plus ND. Culley/ Carmichael, Wardlow and one other.

So thats three development mids we need to......well develop.

Not muxh of this can be done when we have 25 to choose from each week. That is what Simo is trying to say IMO. When he says 'sticking fat and staying the course".

Gotta play with the cards we have.

Agree. I'd love to see West, Clark at CBD's and Gaff permanently on the wing - but with such a limited list at the moment they are probably also trying to protect the newer (not necessarily younger) players somewhat.

2023 there are no excuses though. I think Shuey will pull the pin, Redden probably doesn't go on, Hurn and Kennedy definite retirements. That's 4 spots opened up in the team - let alone the underperforming players.

I think part of what Simpson is saying about bringing in youth is also about getting them to learn the craft out-of-position a little (ideally it would be at WAFL this year, but circumstances have dictated that isn't possible). With the idea that they will be the go-to midfielders in 2023, take the pressure off now while the oldies are still around (and we are rubbish anyway) and then hopefully they are better conditioned for AFL in 2023 so we don't run guys into the ground.

Agree. I'd love to see West, Clark at CBD's and Gaff permanently on the wing - but with such a limited list at the moment they are probably also trying to protect the newer (not necessarily younger) players somewhat.

2023 there are no excuses though. I think Shuey will pull the pin, Redden probably doesn't go on, Hurn and Kennedy definite retirements. That's 4 spots opened up in the team - let alone the underperforming players.

I think part of what Simpson is saying about bringing in youth is also about getting them to learn the craft out-of-position a little (ideally it would be at WAFL this year, but circumstances have dictated that isn't possible). With the idea that they will be the go-to midfielders in 2023, take the pressure off now while the oldies are still around (and we are rubbish anyway) and then hopefully they are better conditioned for AFL in 2023 so we don't run guys into the ground.
With OA and Chesser injured, potentially he knows he doesn't have any youth? Some of those players who are struggling now will come good - if they hang on long enough for the A-graders to appear. In a team where our senior midfield is decimated, it's really hard to play your best football.

I'm not sure if it was BigFooty or elsewhere but us picking Judd over Polak was one of the first AFL related internet meltdowns I ever witnessed.

The Dons are all over Culley you would think / he’s exactly the player they need BBM and fits right in ..

If we take him you just know they’re taking Florenca

Dons wont take Florenca, they will go Carmichael IMO.

If we dont take him no-one will imo. If we want him Id open up a 3rd spot before Wed and take him with that. How many years have WAFL Sandover medalists been passed over and not drafted.

Side note: Carlton and Pies will go tall without a doubt. Cats a ruck. A fair few clubs chasing talls.

Last edited:
Culleys size and kicking is just too good to pass up. Being able to dart a pass over 55m and take contested marks is just too much to miss out on. There’ll be ruckmen next year to go for and we’ll be down the bottom somewhere again to get the pick of the litter but there won’t be any 193cm inside mids who can launch a goal from 60m.

So what's the upside of throwing (particularly Clark) into the middle all the time to get slaughtered?

Respectfully, because he's a 194cm 94kg 25 year old who, playing that role, was the standout player in the WAFL last year playing that role who may either be able to make a difference or develop into something better than he currently is not some 18 year old 80kg kid who needs to be protected.

Is he a depth player? Maybe, but do we know that after 3-4 games? If that's all it took to say yes I'd argue we shouldn't have drafted him. Let's find out by giving him a decent crack at it. If it doesn't work, we find out he's depth/delist material and we lose the match like we are now, perhaps he needs development in playing game time in that role and not languishing on the wing.

How many CBA's did he attend on the weekend? I thought I read it was 1 but not sure if that's accurate.

Respectfully, because he's a 194cm 94kg 25 year old who, playing that role, was the standout player in the WAFL last year playing that role who may either be able to make a difference or develop into something better than he currently is not some 18 year old 80kg kid who needs to be protected.

Is he a depth player? Maybe, but do we know that after 3-4 games? If that's all it took to say yes I'd argue we shouldn't have drafted him. Let's find out by giving him a decent crack at it. If it doesn't work, we find out he's depth/delist material and we lose the match like we are now, perhaps he needs development in playing game time in that role and not languishing on the wing.

How many CBA's did he attend on the weekend? I thought I read it was 1 but not sure if that's accurate.
Why do you think we need to do this right now?

For what? Do you think it will change our results? Do you think we need to change our results? What value do you think he will provide us now by being at the CBA's? Do you think by easing him in, he all of a sudden will forget how to play that role?

What is happening right now - its only relevance is landing us a top #2 pick. What we need to be thinking about is what we do when we get a new coach and when we get some high end young talent. That's when Clark will be needed. Giving him an extra few games at the coal face right now holds no definite advantage. I'm confident he will be eased in - because we need to give him the best opportunity of succeeding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeo played half baxk in the Beagles game yesterday.

Interesting move.
Yeo took many seasons to build a tank big enough to play midfield.

He is not a natural endurance runner .

He would have lost all of that fitness with 2 years of OP .

I think we have no choice but to play him off HBF at least for the rest of this season then assess it again after the next preseason .

He was AA as a HBF . I would rather him play there and play well than killing himself being an underdone midfielder

Why do you think we need to do this right now?

For what? Do you think it will change our results? Do you think we need to change our results? What value do you think he will provide us now by being at the CBA's? Do you think by easing him in, he all of a sudden will forget how to play that role?

What is happening right now - its only relevance is landing us a top #2 pick. What we need to be thinking about is what we do when we get a new coach and when we get some high end young talent. That's when Clark will be needed. Giving him an extra few games at the coal face right now holds no definite advantage. I'm confident he will be eased in - because we need to give him the best opportunity of succeeding.

I think there's still additional upside left in Clark and the time we're not playing him where he should be is wasted development time.

Do you think there's upside in Clark as a player on top of what he is now? Or there is no improvement left to be had and what he is now is all he'll ever be? I kind of think the latter with West, he former with Clark.

I think playing Redden in that role now offer zero future upside and playing Clark in that role offers a chance at future upside through developing him into a better player. I'd rather take a 5% chance at some future upside than zero.

I don't expect playing Clark in the midfield changes results - both in terms of us considering winning an upside or downside from a worse off pick. We'll still lose.

Given the way we play I don't really have any concerns around a Cripps-like scenario where playing him will see him too banged up unable to play in 2-3 years time. so don't see the point in delaying development opportunities for him because I don't think he needs protection.

Can't believe people here want Nizzy gone.

The week of the draft, where the top talent is a BBIMWBLF who absolutely loves surfing - what do we see??
Big spread in The West about Darls, Crippa and Jamo charging close-outs.

Fret not on Wednesday arvo, Big Niz has got you sorted.

nizzy surf.png

1. I think there's still additional upside left in Clark and the time we're not playing him where he should be is wasted development time.

2. Do you think there's upside in Clark as a player on top of what he is now? Or there is no improvement left to be had and what he is now is all he'll ever be? I kind of think the latter with West, he former with Clark.

3. I think playing Redden in that role now offer zero future upside and playing Clark in that role offers a chance at future upside through developing him into a better player. I'd rather take a 5% chance at some future upside than zero.

I don't expect playing Clark in the midfield changes results - both in terms of us considering winning an upside or downside from a worse off pick. We'll still lose.

4. Given the way we play I don't really have any concerns around a Cripps-like scenario where playing him will see him too banged up unable to play in 2-3 years time. so don't see the point in delaying development opportunities for him because I don't think he needs protection.
1. I'm not convinced the end outcome will be better by throwing him straight in there now, as opposed to easing him in

2. Only his ability to be able to compete at the highest level. I don't think his game gets better, but I think he has possible upside in being able to compete as a big bodied mid in the AFL as opposed to WAFL.

3. I agree that Redden is not long term or mid term and Clark is mid term. It just doesn't need to be "right now or I'll melt my shit".

4. I don't think it has anything to do with being banged up. He's got a mature body. I think it's about confidence. Let him acclimatise to the speed and rigours of AFL and then put him in. Give him the best chance because he'll be needed.

1. I'm not convinced the end outcome will be better by throwing him straight in there now, as opposed to easing him in

2. Only his ability to be able to compete at the highest level. I don't think his game gets better, but I think he has possible upside in being able to compete as a big bodied mid in the AFL as opposed to WAFL.

3. I agree that Redden is not long term or mid term and Clark is mid term. It just doesn't need to be "right now or I'll melt my shit".

4. I don't think it has anything to do with being banged up. He's got a mature body. I think it's about confidence. Let him acclimatise to the speed and rigours of AFL and then put him in. Give him the best chance because he'll be needed.

Coming back from shoulder surgery and playing your first season.

There are two bonafide reasons to ease Clark into the on ball brigade. And it isnt like he isnt playing at stoppages.

We will not see the best of Clark in 2022. For more reasons than the above.

Happy with the limited exposure so far and look forward to him building into a full time mid role next season.

Last edited:
Coming back from shoulder surgery and playing your first season.

There are two bonafida reasons to ease Clark into the on ball brigade. And it isnt like he isnt playing at stoppages.

We will not see the best of Clark in 2022. For more reasons than the above.

Happy with the limited exposure so far and look forward to him building into a full time mid role next season.
Agreed. This year is a write-off (and that has a silver lining called George Warlord). We're going to need a big bodied mid to protect our new recruits. Redden will soon be gone and it remains to be seen if Yeo can get back that. Right now, it just doesn't matter that much.

Agreed. This year is a write-off (and that has a silver lining called George Warlord). We're going to need a big bodied mid to protect our new recruits. Redden will soon be gone and it remains to be seen if Yeo can get back that. Right now, it just doesn't matter that much.
No worries - thanks to you and Obeanie for the insights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back