List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. Other Assorted Crap. 2020 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the consensus is but not official for list sizes next year is 38 senior list + 2 rookies + 2 cat B rookies

Atm we run 40 + 5 rookies ( Jones supplemental draft for venables LTI )

I would suspect we go with 37 senior + 3 rookies ( ah chee , Edwards, MO'Neal ) .

So brawshaw and treacy out from the rookies

We will then need drop 6 seniors to then draft 3 new at the national draft .

Out - schoey venables and jetta retire
Jones Reid vardy out

Petch is also uncontracted so if we lost him we would want a future pick or pick upgrade

Pretty sure we could cat B undrafted NGA kids in our zone so putting 2 on the list would be a smart move even just to play wafl eagles next year

The 2 rookies plus 2 cat B's I can see the AFLPA pushing that to be 4 rookie spots. They don't want to have any more members let go early due to covid list reductions than needs to happen.

No matter the players background clubs should have the right to retain its best 4 rookies, not axe 2 decent kids and then be forced to draft 2 basketballers who likely will never make it. That doesnt make sense.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
What is the dispute between Jetta and Simmo?

Can someone explain to me what happened? It would be a huge shame if Jetta doesn't play 100 games for the club.
A good friend of mine works at the club and was in the hub. I asked him about the simmo vs Jetta thing and he didn’t know what I was talking about. He just said Jetta didn’t like being in the hub along with 99% of the other players.

AFL & AFLPA have started negotiations. Obviously no one knows what the magic numbers will be but the article states 38 + 2 rookies might be close to the mark. Also discussions about removing the number of minimum picks required to be taken in the draft.

If we are only allowed two rookies, I'd keep Jones and MON. Upgrade Edwards to the main list. Tough call on what we should do with Ah Chee moving forward beyond this year. Maybe we package up our draft picks and try and get a trade happening and don't pic anyone from the draft this year?

AFL & AFLPA have started negotiations. Obviously no one knows what the magic numbers will be but the article states 38 + 2 rookies might be close to the mark. Also discussions about removing the number of minimum picks required to be taken in the draft.

If we are only allowed two rookies, I'd keep Jones and MON. Upgrade Edwards to the main list. Tough call on what we should do with Ah Chee moving forward beyond this year. Maybe we package up our draft picks and try and get a trade happening and don't pic anyone from the draft this year?

It would really suck to have multiple early picks and with this they cant gain the max benefit without cutting deep.

And on top of so many nga and father son picks.

Can see teams chasing future picks and offer discounts to get them.

It would really suck to have multiple early picks and with this they cant gain the max benefit without cutting deep.

And on top of so many nga and father son picks.

Can see teams chasing future picks and offer discounts to get them.

It would really suck if you had, say, 3 first rounder, don't you think :moustache:

We're lucky that we have a lot of players out of contract this year that might have found themselves on the chopping block anyway.

It would really suck if you had, say, 3 first rounder, don't you think :moustache:

We're lucky that we have a lot of players out of contract this year that might have found themselves on the chopping block anyway.

Just had a look at Geelongs list. 46 players currently and with 3 1sts and a 2nd rounder to use this year.

If they used 4 picks they need to cut 10 players.

The 2 rookies plus 2 cat B's I can seet he AFLPA pushing that to be 4 rookie spots. They dont want to have any more members let go early due to covid list reductions than needs to happen.

No matter the players background clubs should have the right to retain its best 4 rookies, not axe 2 decent kids and then be forced to draft 2 basketballers who likely will never make it. That doesnt make sense.

Thoughts?
It's all about money . The 2 cat B rookies will be paid outside of the salary cap so it's up to the club if they want to spend the money .
You also don't need to have cross codes players to be cat B.
Im pretty sure it can be a player from your Next Gen academy that goes undrafted .

They just can't play without their salary going into your cap .

Pretty sure Carter from Freo was added to their list under those circumstances.

Personally I don't want list sizes to change at all . Reduced list sizes will stop us rebuilding on the run .

It's also not stopping team's going a 35-36 senior player list and 4-5 rookies .

I personally think players should just take a 10% pay cut . Rookies on 100k lose 10k stars on a million lose 100k
Every team saves 1million

Last edited:
It's all about money . The 2 cat B rookies will be paid outside of the salary cap so it's up to the club if they want to spend the money .
Im pretty sure it can be a player from your Next Gen academy that goes undrafted .

Personally I don't want list sizes to change at all . Reduced list sizes will stop us rebuilding on the run .

It's also not stopping team's going a 35-36 senior player list and 4-5 rookies .

I personally think players should just take a 10% pay cut . Rookies on 100k lose 10k stars on a million lose 100k
Agreed. Squads are hardly big enough to provide depth as it is. Look at a lot of the middling clubs (Carlton, Freo etc), they have an OK best 22, but after a few injuries they are really exposed as the rest of their list are kids due to them rebuilding.

If they are worried about the state of the game now, just wait until a few injuries is enough to send a top four contender down to the bottom 4.

We currently have 45 on our list with Jones being the make up for season injury Venables. Assuming list size is 40 in total with 2 taken at the draft as a minimum, we need to cut 7

If we need to cut 4:
Venables - believing he will not get over his concussion
Vardy - looking obsolete and 2019 was such a disappointment compared to 2018.
Schofield - blew his chance with the head but and we have plenty of cover at his position
Jetta - we have strong cover on HBF and hearing the dispute with Jetta and Simmo likely means he will not be on our list in 2021.

If we cut another 2:
Brayshaw - he has not been close to a run in the seniors, I suspect the decision has been made
Watson - we have depth at the HBF with Johnson still developing. He won't be playing in 2021 with his knee so tough but that is what the AFL will make us do

Then we need the AFL to get their stuff together with ASADA on Rioli. If he is banned, there is number 7 off the list. If he is not, then he gets to play and probably Reid looks to be cut.

Rioli is a specific case that we cannot really make a decision about without the proper information. He is a special talent that we keep if we can
Whats this about Johnsons knee? I didnt hear anything

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Surely the time is upon the AFL to use the term rookie correctly.

Just set the total number of players on the list, tenure and salary on the list should be based on where the player is taken in the draft.

Example
A top 25 pick - 3 years at $x
Next 25 picks - 2 years at $y
Any other pick - 1 year at minimum wage

Clubs not wanting to give a player that length of tenure and $ can elect to pass at their turn without leaving the draft.

Rookie then goes back to meaning a first year player who has not played AFL before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If its all about money then it doesn't matter if it is inside the cap or outside the cap. Clubs still pay it.

If the AFL wants to reduce the salary cap spend on players that's fine, do it. Just don't structure it so clubs are forced to let promising rookies or senior players go and then be forced into drafting an NGA kid or some other Cat B who isn't ready to play and in likelihood won't break into the side.

Poster above mentioned depth. Under the 2 + 2 Cat B rookie list that would likely mean players like Ah chee are let go and replaced by a Cat B rookie.

Just make it 4 rookies and keep things simple and flexible for the clubs to manage their list reductions. All in the cap and set the cap appropriately. I'm a big believer in the KISS principle.

We get through the next 2-3 years and when the game can afford it we build lists up again.

How does Chris Judds son's F/S son rule work since he played 100 games for us and blues, who gets first ddibs?

Pretty sure it comes down to wherever Oscar wants to go. Just like Rioli this year having ties to multiple clubs.

Given Oscars favorite is Nicnat and he wears his jumper everywhere i'd say we're the front runners at this point. If he grows up in Flogtoria though, who knows.

If its all about money then it doesn't matter if it is inside the cap or outside the cap. Clubs still pay it.

If the AFL wants to reduce the salary cap spend on players that's fine, do it. Just don't structure it so clubs are forced to let promising rookies or senior players go and then be forced into drafting an NGA kid or some other Cat B who isn't ready to play and in likelihood won't break into the side.

Poster above mentioned depth. Under the 2 + 2 Cat B rookie list that would likely mean players like Ah chee are let go and replaced by a Cat B rookie.

Just make it 4 rookies and keep things simple and flexible for the clubs to manage their list reductions. All in the cap and set the cap appropriately. I'm a big believer in the KISS principle.

We get through the next 2-3 years and when the game can afford it we build lists up again.
Unfortunately players have contracts that need to be honoured. It a lot less messy to cut numbers.

Unfortunately players have contracts that need to be honoured. It a lot less messy to cut numbers.
They could still cut TPP and phase it in over time. Yeah, it won't be immediate, but clubs aren't going to be shedding their big name players next year if lists are smaller. You would think it is mainly rookies and base price senior players who will be off the list.

They could even go for the best of both worlds. Shed the players for next season, then slowly expand the squads again until TPP have been reduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back