Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - Stage 4 Restrictions in Place in Vic - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is part Three.

Part One can be found here -

Part Two can be found here -

Part 4 can be found here:

Australian stats page:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a little worry if numbers don't come down quickly. Stage 4 is pretty tiresome - even when you know its for the best. And you can get away with a lot because there just aren't enough police to police it. So the longer it takes, the less compliance there will be. Numbers need to get down to a rate where tracers can keep up before that happens, and preferably to 0.

If people who have covid keep away from people who don't. It goes away when they get better,
People can have it for may weeks though, even without symptoms.

Stage 4 is tiresome and the ONLY reason we need it is because people didn't do the more voluntary stage 3 right.

Hopefully the police are policing the right areas.

If people who have covid keep away from people who don't. It goes away when they get better,
People can have it for may weeks though, even without symptoms.

Stage 4 is tiresome and the ONLY reason we need it is because people didn't do the more voluntary stage 3 right.

Hopefully the police are policing the right areas.

that is the most stupid and ridiculous statement i’ve read in 6 months

police policing the right areas? lol

too late for that bucko

Just a question for Victoria posters:

When the other states and territories announce day after day that they have no new cases or a just the odd hotel quarantine case, are you:

1) Happy for them?
2) Does it give you a spring in your step to know that at least other Aussies are living a normal life even though you aren’t?
3) Don’t care as the circumstances of other states don’t affect you,
4) jealous and bitter that the rest of Australia are enjoying their freedom
5) secretly hope that community cases suddenly spread like wild fire in the other states so Victorian’s aren’t the only ones to suffer.

Just wonder what’s going on in the minds of VICS that are dealing with Stage 4 restrictions.

When the other states and territories announce day after day that they have no new cases or a just the odd hotel quarantine case, are you:

1) Happy for them?
2) Does it give you a spring in your step to know that at least other Aussies are living a normal life even though you aren’t?
5) secretly hope that community cases suddenly spread like wild fire in the other states so Victorian’s aren’t the only ones to suffer.

Just wonder what’s going on in the minds of VICS that are dealing with Stage 4 restrictions.

that’s not one but five ridiculously pointless questions

and number 5 makes me think you probably dream of lighting fires in the bush on 40 degree days in summer

1) Happy for them?

Probably equal parts 1,2,3 and 4. Comes and goes depending on how I’m feeling.

Have been dealing with it reasonably well but now and then (like today) for some reason just have a really shit day and don’t deal with it very well at all.

Maybe for a fleeting minute or two there is a bit of 5 there - but it generally goes pretty quickly back to just feeling shit.

Haven’t worked in months and am coming to the realisation that I may not get back to work at all - and if I do it’s going to be a very different workplace and not for the better.

1) Happy for them?

1 and 4.

That the other states have effectively suppressed or eliminated community transmission keeps the pressure on Victoria to do likewise and on the Federal Government not to open up too early.

I think we should be beginning to realise that it’s a pretty decent chance that there will be no crowds at the footy in Victoria next season.

Will be devastating for grass roots if it’s like that as well and IMO will place the game itself in serious threat.
That's crazy talk, we have to learn to live with it, we can't spend another year giving up life. Too many lives, businesses, kids will be destroyed. We will have to accept catching Corona is like catching a flu, the elderly and sick will have to be careful , but life must go on surely

that’s not one but five ridiculously pointless questions

and number 5 makes me think you probably dream of lighting fires in the bush on 40 degree days in summer
Why are they pointless questions?

Just interested to see how Victorians are coping in these pretty tough times?

1) Happy for them?

Just a question for non-Victorian posters

When Victoria is in stage 4 lockdown, probably for a couple of months after peaking at 700 plus and burying up to 20 people a day, do you:

1) show concern for them?
2) speculate whether they are bitter and jealous about it?

That's crazy talk, we have to learn to live with it, we can't spend another year giving up life. Too many lives, businesses, kids will be destroyed. We will have to accept catching Corona is like catching a flu, the elderly and sick will have to be careful , but life must go on surely

Why is it crazy talk? If we have to learn to live with it in Victoria do you think other states will open up to us if there's no vaccine? They sure as hell won't be sending any of their residents in and out of Vic nor let Victorians come in and out of their state.

I'm not sure how a competition would run when 10 of the 18 teams can't play at home for a second year in a row. I doubt the likes of st kilda, north etc could survive that again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is it crazy talk? If we have to learn to live with it in Victoria do you think other states will open up to us if there's no vaccine? They sure as hell won't be sending any of their residents in and out of Vic nor let Victorians come in and out of their state.

I'm not sure how a competition would run when 10 of the 18 teams can't play at home for a second year in a row. I doubt the likes of st kilda, north etc could survive that again.

I was in favour of Victoria pursuing elimination, but the recent recurrence in NZ after 100 days (supposedly) virus-free, makes me think elimination is not achieveable. Andrews and the Federal government have said the same.

Given the Federal govt's position is 'suppression' not elimnination, it needs to be accompanied by a plan for borders to reopen knowing that coronavirus will continue to exist up to and beyond a vaccine (if there is one). This will require a lot of work and planning by the Federal government, but its their purview. If states aren't willing to engage working on a plan to safety reopen without eliminating the virus, the Federal government should use its leverage and withhold funding from those states.

That is crazy talk.
If we are learning to live with it, that means that we will have a significant number of young, otherwise healthy people dying of this infection. And there will be an even greater of otherwise healthy young people with long lasting damage to their lungs, heart, arteries and/or brain.
This is not a flu. It is a virus that attacks cells throughout the body. And it is more easily transmitted than the flu.

Life must go on, but until the numbers of transmission within communities is down to zero, life will be different for Australians. The alternative - to do what Sweden did by design, or what America did by incompetence, is too damaging to the population and the economy, in both the long and short term.

When Victoria is in stage 4 lockdown, probably for a couple of months after peaking at 700 plus and burying up to 20 people a day, do you:

Good questions.
I'd be interested to hear their thoughts about it.

That is crazy talk.
If we are learning to live with it, that means that we will have a significant number of young, otherwise healthy people dying of this infection. And there will be an even greater of otherwise healthy young people with long lasting damage to their lungs, heart, arteries and/or brain.
This is not a flu. It is a virus that attacks cells throughout the body. And it is more easily transmitted than the flu.

Life must go on, but until the numbers of transmission within communities is down to zero, life will be different for Australians. The alternative - to do what Sweden did by design, or what America did by incompetence, is too damaging to the population and the economy, in both the long and short term.

I think we need to re-frame the discussion from 'learning to live with the virus' to transitioning the economy to a post-covid world. 'Learning to live with the virus' implies we can go on living life as we did pre-covid, amidst a deadly infectious virus, which of course would be disastrous.

The WHO have come out and said the world might never extinguish the virus. So its clearly much bigger than the band-aid measures and putting out hot-spot fires that Australia many other countries are currently doing. It firstly requires us to have rapid testing and efficient contact tracing (of which we currently have neither) and recognise that people will continue to become infected, but with the aim to know who they are as soon as possible to avoid it spreading out of control. I unfortunately expect masks to become common in public life.

If Australia is to pursue elimination, restrictions eased and people go back to life as normal, the virus would almost certainly re-emerge (like it has in NZ) and it will again spread like wildfire if we are still living in this pre-covid world mindset, without rapid testing and tracing. More shutdowns and border closures would ensue.

I do not expect poeple in 'safe-states' to accept this new reality but it is a new reality regardless.

3) hope that they (and the rest of us) learn from it from so such a tragically avoidable situation isn’t repeated.

1) Happy for them?

Happy for them as this is an Australia wide issue, and global, but also a little jelous/dissapointed/angry at the people in VIC who didn't do the right thing and have screwed it up for the rest of us who have.

Correct, this is an indefinite solution but its not sustainable like that. In fact I'm surprised they agreed to be hubbed for the 3 month period initially. A second year in a row would probably be too great an ask.

Perhaps you are right, but if you follow your principle now, you are fighting against a lockdown and you are just making the whole process more prolonged and painful.
Stay Home.

Once we are level pegging with the rest of Australian /NZ the question can be asked.
( Note : the rest of Australia are not giving up life, they are surfing , punching sharks, going to footy etc ) .

1) Happy for them?

These questions almost feel like trolling.

The way I honestly feel is, other states are being somewhat lulled into a false sense of security based on the blunt instrument measure of border closures. It's obviously not sustainable.

Best case scenario and vaccine is available early next year (and assuming its efficacy) it probably wont be available for Australia-wide distribution until late next year. That's best case scenario.

The government should be preparing for the worst case scenarios i.e. that COVID will not be extinguised and the economy and life will have to radically alter and adapt.

Enduring this second lockdown makes me realise how much work Australia need to do in order to reopen the economy, given by its own admission the government objective is 'aggressive suppression' - that objective doesnt appear to be accompanied by any long term plan.

The rest of the Australia needs to come to terms with the new reality, as Victorians are now.

Last edited:
I was in favour of Victoria pursuing elimination, but the recent recurrence in NZ after 100 days (supposedly) virus-free, makes me think elimination is not achieveable. Andrews and the Federal government have said the same.

Given the Federal govt's position is 'suppression' not elimnination, it needs to be accompanied by a plan for borders to reopen knowing that coronavirus will continue to exist up to and beyond a vaccine (if there is one). This will require a lot of work and planning by the Federal government, but its their purview. If states aren't willing to engage working on a plan to safety reopen without eliminating the virus, the Federal government should use its leverage and withhold funding from those states.

Lets wait and see where it came from. They still have returning travellers in NZ.

Perhaps you are right, but if you follow your principle now, you are fighting against a lockdown and you are just making the whole process more prolonged and painful.
Stay Home.

Once we are level pegging with the rest of Australian /NZ the question can be asked.
( Note : the rest of Australia are not giving up life, they are surfing , punching sharks, going to footy etc ) .

We will never be at level pegging with the rest of Australia. We aren't getting this down to 0 inside the next 4 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back