Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - Stage 4 Restrictions in Place in Vic - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

The Brisbane lockdown situation adds a potential spanner in the works, not that the season wasn't shambolic already but there's potential for more adhoc changes and shuffling.
I think the AFL have done an amazing job this season. Happy to bag them for their many faults but this has been a huge effort.

Keep on hearing this "but suicide" argument. How many people have actually offed themselves because of this pandemic vs how many people would die without the restrictions? Do you actually have the statistics to back up that argument?

I'll take mental stress and job losses over overwhelmed hospitals and having to put bodies onto military trucks any time.
2 young blokes have committed suicide in my town - one 40 the other one 24. Hasn’t been a suicide for a couple of years before those 2. No one has died from Covid. We currently have 3 cases in our shire.

Gatherings of more than 10 banned immediately in Brisbane and some other suburbs, except if Covid safe plan in place. So kids sport still ok this morning. If they don’t get thus outbreak under control quickly could spell the end of the QLD option for AFL maybe?

I wouldn’t be surprised to hear of greater restrictions imposed in the next few days, even with COVID safe plans, we have been getting pretty relaxed without cases for so long so people not as diligent about social distancing in public places.

Gatherings of more than 10 banned immediately in Brisbane and some other suburbs, except if Covid safe plan in place. So kids sport still ok this morning. If they don’t get thus outbreak under control quickly could spell the end of the QLD option for AFL maybe?

I wouldn’t be surprised to hear of greater restrictions imposed in the next few days, even with COVID safe plans, we have been getting pretty relaxed without cases for so long so people not as diligent about social distancing in public places.

Which again begs the question, why does the AFL need to announce the Grand Final now?

You and your ilk are the reason that Victoria had to go into a lockdown. You are a selfish prick who thinks that your freedom to do whatever you want and hang the consequences are more important than the lives of others. If people in quarantine obeyed the rules, instead of gaming the system, if Victorians followed simple social distancing guidelines instead of working out ways to do what they wanted, and if people didn’t listen to the batshit crazy conspiracy theorists, there wouldn’t have been the spread that there was.

The lockdown is working. It would work faster if all people followed it. It’s you who is disgusting.
No. The disgusting people are the followers of Danie Andrews. He isn't doing a good job. He is ruining people's lives, business, people are becoming homeless.

Bet yeah, great job

Wow your empathy for people who have lost their businesses, jobs, relationships, loved ones due to suicide and suffered extreme levels of mental stress due to the lockdown is truelly inspiring........

But I assume everyone one of these people above who have suffered was a "right wing snowflake" so they don't deserve our pity?

I am not against the lockdown but it really p......s me off when people downplay the negative effects this lockdown is having on Victoria and Australia as a whole.

We have to be allowed to debate and weigh up the pros and cons of the lockdown without terms such as "right wing snowflake" bring thrown around.

Most of the people who are being hit the hardest from the lockdown (women, students, younger workers in gig economy, single parents, etc) hardly fit the stereotype of a "right wing snowflake".

it's a bit of an oxymoron in my experience anyhow. The most avowed right wing people I know - who openly admit it - don't blame anyone else for anything. They're not always the most humble or retiring, but they don't blame others for their situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mental health, domestic violence, & financial hardship have only been around since late March.
Suicides are very prevalent in the Aboriginal community.

I look forward to threads full of outrage that this has been allowed to happen.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

No. The disgusting people are the followers of Danie Andrews. He isn't doing a good job. He is ruining people's lives, business, people are becoming homeless.

Bet yeah, great job
Still waiting for your side to show us the covid ridden country with a booming economy

Plenty of evidence the covid death rate is far less than 1%.

Depends how you measure it.

As a percentage of cases in Victoria = 2.15% - 385 deaths / 17,852 cases (Victoria only)
As a percentage of cases in Australia = 1.93% - 472 deaths / 24,407 cases (Australia wide)
As a percentage of people in Victoria = 0.006% - 385 deaths / 6.359 million (Victoria only)
As a percentage of people in Australia: = 0.0018% - 472 deaths / 24.99 million (Australia wide)

But that first one is IF you get it:

17,852 / 6.359 million = 0.28% chance of getting it (Victoria)
24,407 / 24.99 million = 0.09% chance of getting it (Australia)

(all those figures will change of course)

It's not the bubonic plague, and it's not nothing either. Some environments, situations, and workplaces are far more dangerous than others. But to me Stage 4 lockdown is too harsh.

Depends how you measure it.

As a percentage of cases in Victoria = 2.15% - 385 deaths / 17,852 cases (Victoria only)
As a percentage of cases in Australia = 1.93% - 472 deaths / 24,407 cases (Australia wide)
As a percentage of people in Victoria = 0.006% - 385 deaths / 6.359 million (Victoria only)
As a percentage of people in Australia: = 0.0018% - 472 deaths / 24.99 million (Australia wide)

But that first one is IF you get it:

17,852 / 6.359 million = 0.28% chance of getting it (Victoria)
24,407 / 24.99 million = 0.09% chance of getting it (Australia)

(all those figures will change of course)

It's not the bubonic plague, and it's not nothing either. Some environments, situations, and workplaces are far more dangerous than others. But to me Stage 4 lockdown is too harsh.
C8681BDA-D941-4649-86BC-F2E9D2B66F35.jpeg

Orrr as 1% of australias population......

Thats the first time ive heard a decent argument against it.

I feel that you could legislate for the testing - but your point has given me pause.
Forced quarantine can't really work when there's untraceable cases going around because we, as a whole, are a bunch of selfish pricks and would rather not get tested and try to hide our symptoms, even if it means infecting and killing others, than get tested and be forced into managed quarantine if it comes back positive.

Just look at how many people are melting over being asked to wear a mask. We've had variants of "no shirt, no shoes, no service" rules in place forever but somehow "no mask, no service" is too much for some.

You're not real good at maths are you?
They are also pretty good at ignoring the people who contract it and have huge side effects even months after “recovering”

The young folk who die a month or so after from strokes, the explosion of kawasaki syndrome in kids.

All these people can just eat a <#clivepalmer> becuz muh moneh

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - Stage 4 Restrictions in Place in Vic - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back