Cousins sacked.

Remove this Banner Ad

He'd be in exactly the same situation he's in now anyway. You can't honestly beleive that these things pressured him further into his drug use.

He's an arrogant, gangsta wannabe who spat in the faces of those that supported him.

Nooooooooooooooo. Having the media watching almost your every move?

Having a best friend die!?!

Thise things never made anyone take drugs!

Grow up!

Re: Official - Cousins Sacked

How could the WCE stop a player doing this?

Certainly match day and at club/AFL events then behaviour can be monitored?

Would you support a minder 24 hours a day for every footballer?

Should never have gone this far. He's been given so many last chances by the club it became farsical. He should have been sacked long ago.

WCE also knew of his issues and tolerated them in the pursuit of a flag. They got their flag but destroyed the man in the process.

Sheller's right. Have some bloody sympathy people!

Teams aside, one of the greatest footballers to play in the modern game has ruined his own life. He's fallen into a trap and lost his longtime girlfriend, his reputation, his friends, one of the only people who were there for him (Mainy), and now his job and his club. I think most of us feel if Ben could control his behaviour, he would.

Have some compassion people! Put yourself in Ben's shoes! Yes, he's had warnings and chances, he's a role model etc etc etc. Yes, he has no one to blame for himself - and that's bloody sad!

No excuses now, but where would Ben be today if:

1. The media got off his back earlier? They've been on his back like Princess Diana back in 97!
2. If the public didn't judge him so harshly - if the public showed compassion and support.
3. If one of his closest friends Chris Mainwaing was there to talk to him.

I'm not sticking up for Ben, I just question some people's levels of maturity when they condemn a sportman for taking drugs the way they would a murderer (Cos that's how some of you are carrying on!)

Try to focus your 'negative energy' on talking about how this might actually save lives and teach kids and / or current users that this is not the path to follow.

I'll respond to the smartarses who want to make more of a joke out of this, by saying have a damn good look in the mirror before you go putting down a man who inspired thousands of eagles supporters and football fans in general across Australia, because NOBODY is perfect.
the stuff u wrote almost made me cry...enough said.......i wish every1 was considerate like u...WE WILL MISS U BENNY:(

He'd be in exactly the same situation he's in now anyway. You can't honestly beleive that these things pressured him further into his drug use.

He's an arrogant, gangsta wannabe who spat in the faces of those that supported him.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo - Having the media basically camp at your doorstep and watch your every move.

Having a best friend and support partner die!

These things never forced anyone to take drugs!

What the?!

It might appear like that but a drug addict that I believe was in denial the whole time about it and never got the full and proper treatment (one month in rehab not nearly enough) he was bound to relapse. Sad ending really but it wasnt handled well (poor in fact) to begin with and has resulted in this. Most drug addicts relapse at least once so why is this any different? Plus a person in denial cant be helped unless they admit they have a problem, not even rehab will help them~possibly happened here.
More should have been done and hopeful in the future if this happens again its handled much better.

if the afl is a serious joke if he doesn't get De-registerd. so it's ok to be heavily addicted to drugs that you have to go to the usa to help fix your problem and it's okto be arrested and charged with drug related offences but if you mrntion drugs being involved in the sport you get threatened to be De-registerd instantly like aker was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It might appear like that but a drug addict that I believe was in denial the whole time about it and never got the full and proper treatment (one month in rehab not nearly enough) he was bound to relapse. Sad ending really but it wasnt handled well (poor in fact) to begin with and has resulted in this. Most drug addicts relapse at least once so why is this any different? Plus a person in denial cant be helped unless they admit they have a problem, not even rehab will help them~possibly happened here.
More should have been done and hopeful in the future if this happens again its handled much better.

I just don't buy the crap about him being an addict thats all.

I reckon he loved partying and the lifestyle he was able to live on such huge wages and eventually footy took a back seat to it all.

He was caught out so did all the public apology, I'm seeking help crap that people are supposed to do in these situations and then proceeded to continue doing drugs behind everyones back.

He got caught out again and now there's no going back. I don't think Ben cousins is going to be as devastated about getting the sack as everyone might think.

Have some compassion people! Put yourself in Ben's shoes! Yes, he's had warnings and chances, he's a role model etc etc etc. Yes, he has no one to blame for himself - and that's bloody sad!

It is sad, but such is life. Life is tough, life is a bitch. Life is a series of decisions and actions, each having consequences. Ben has never had to really face those consequences until now.

Most drug addicts need to hit rock bottom before they realise they have a serious problem. This can involve losing everyone and everything important in your life.

Maybe this will jolt him into a serious effort to reform himself. Maybe it won't. Such is life, it is up to him.

Sheller's right. Have some bloody sympathy people!

Teams aside, one of the greatest footballers to play in the modern game has ruined his own life. He's fallen into a trap and lost his longtime girlfriend, his reputation, his friends, one of the only people who were there for him (Mainy), and now his job and his club. I think most of us feel if Ben could control his behaviour, he would.

Actually I don't think he's out of control at all. Looking at his face and seeing his self satisfied smug attitude makes me think he was doing exactly what he wanted to do...in the belief that he can get away with it because Eagles fans continually denied there was a problem and forgave every indiscretion rather than really punishing him. Even now you're making excuses for him.

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Bart gets sent to bed without dinner and after a long time finally realises that his parents are finally punishing him seriously...till Homer sneaks him some food. Bart's closing line? "Suckers."

A

I reckon he loved partying and the lifestyle he was able to live on such huge wages and eventually footy took a back seat to it all.

He was caught out so did all the public apology, I'm seeking help crap that people are supposed to do in these situations and then proceeded to continue doing drugs behind everyones back.

He got caught out again and now there's no going back. I don't think Ben cousins is going to be as devastated about getting the sack as everyone might think.

I think you're right mate. Other addicts wish they were in his situation lol.

It is sad, but such is life. Life is tough, life is a bitch. Life is a series of decisions and actions, each having consequences. Ben has never had to really face those consequences until now.

Most drug addicts need to hit rock bottom before they realise they have a serious problem. This can involve losing everyone and everything important in your life.

Maybe this will jolt him into a serious effort to reform himself. Maybe it won't. Such is life, it is up to him.

Nice work ikka. ;)

You could be right there too but we might never truly know

Best he get himself on a plane to Malibu then... this time for himself and not as part of some charade to fast track his return to footy.

personally i hope he doesn't get de-registered because at the end of the day its the eagles supporters who i want to suffer, not ben cousins

Not angry, just extremely dissapointed. One of the greatest players in recent times, just threw it all away.

Its obvious he needed to be sacked, the best thing for him and the club. I just hope, that Ben Cousins the person, is able to move on with his life and salvage what he can, and get the treatment he needs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cousins sacked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back