Craig Foster, again....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting story.

This connection to the club is what the A League should be and is trying to achieve. The standard of play will never compare to to top overseas leagues but you can watch a club that represents where you are from. You have an understanding of the Melbourne Sydney rivalry and where it comes from. You know why South Australians dislike Victorians etc. You get to watch your team playing live every second week in your home stadium.

But those kinds of rivalries don't extend to the greater population.

And that is a big problem in my opinion.

What % of Victorians really give a toss about Sydney or Adelaide?

Not many normal people do.

And you'd have to question the mentality of someone in this country who got fired up over such nothing rivalries.

This has got to be one of the worst "my d*ck is bigger than yours" arguments I've ever seen.

The AFL destroys soccer in this country. No soccer fan can deny that.

Soccer destroys the AFL everywhere outside Australia. No AFL fan can deny that.

For the record, I'm embarrassed by that Foster article. I try to do my bit to convert people to the A-League and then he just f*cks off all the good work A-League supporters are doing to grow the game in this country. Thank God nobody watches SBS anyway.

That's a long local rivalry, involving suburbs close by to each other.

Those people had regular contact.

So absolutely nothing like A Sydney or Adelaide rivalry.

there is city pride and wanting your city to be number one. either way there needs to be a long history, of dramatic games, grand finals, knocking the other team out of the finals, last minute winners for a very long time. you cant just say we are rivals because you need some.

there is city pride and wanting your city to be number one. either way there needs to be a long history, of dramatic games, grand finals, knocking the other team out of the finals, last minute winners for a very long time. you cant just say we are rivals because you need some.

The thing is, that's what soccer needs to be successful. But the reality is a lot of people who follow soccer don't come from 7th generation anglo-saxon families.

And as such they really care even less about Sydney than the average guy on the street.

How many 3, 4, 8?
You do realise there is less than 400 games overall.

Well, like I pointed out, the six clubs who play in 50k stadia sell out those stadia every week. So that's 102 sold out games right there.

Where are this cheap tickets? I just paid $25 for a NAB cup game.

The average Bundesliga ticket is about AUD30, and that would be much less than the big clubs who sell out every week. And there's no $2 children's tickets over there either.

I dunno, what criteria are we using to determine how many 'teams' there are?

The AFL has 17, the Bundesliga has 20. I guess if you were counting top flight in terms of attendance, you would count Bundesliga-2, which is another twenty or so. After that point you're fiddling at the margins. SANFL and WAFL would be fairly equivalent with the lower leagues in Germany, not to mention the dozens of suburban and country leagues.

In Australia, everybody who watches Aussie rules follows one of the 17 AFL clubs. Not so in Germany; the Bundesliga 2. and 3. Liga clubs have decent followings. That's not even counting the smaller clubs in the Regionalliga.

Well, like I pointed out, the six clubs who play in 50k stadia sell out those stadia every week. So that's 102 sold out games right there.

The average Bundesliga ticket is about AUD30, and that would be much less than the big clubs who sell out every week. And there's no $2 children's tickets over there either.

$30 dollars seems quite normal :confused:

In Australia, everybody who watches Aussie rules follows one of the 17 AFL clubs. Not so in Germany; the Bundesliga 2. and 3. Liga clubs have decent followings. That's not even counting the smaller clubs in the Regionalliga.

Yeah piss off.

I'm an East Fremantle supporter

i've been to top level soccer games in europe and, whilst undoubtedly having incredible atmosphere, they don't hold a candle to the MCG on grand final day.

That's rubbish. Nothing in the world beats a game at Signal Iduna.

[youtube]5mmqJfrnGEI[/youtube]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate that is crap. Many many people I know personally hate the AFL with a vengeance and follow South Australian teams like West Adelaide, Norwood, Centrals etc. etc. I would be surprised if that wasn't the same in all states.

In South Australia teams like Glenelg, Norwood, Centrals, Port Adelaide, Sturt have very good followings some times drawing 11,000 people to their games.

Mate that is crap. Many many people I know personally hate the AFL with a vengeance and follow South Australian teams like West Adelaide, Norwood, Centrals etc. etc. I would be surprised if that wasn't the same in all states.

In South Australia teams like Glenelg, Norwood, Centrals, Port Adelaide, Sturt have very good followings some times drawing 11,000 people to their games.

I agree, many football followers cant stand the AFL and prefer grass roots footy.

And the argument is going to keep on going like this until AFL supporters realise that attendances mean approximately two-fifths of **** all.

So, if you say attendences mean so little why did you put the effort into showing that the Bundesliga gets more bums on seats than the AFL?

And why do you spend so much time on a website devoted to a sport you don't like? :confused:

East Fremantle in the WAFL and Fremantle in the AFL are two entirely different teams. Its quite feasible that a West Coast supporter in the AFL would follow East Freo in the WAFL.

And yet, my point was that in soccer, you don't follow a div 1 club and a div 2 club. You support one club.

So, if you say attendences mean so little why did you put the effort into showing that the Bundesliga gets more bums on seats than the AFL?

Gotta beat them on their own playing field. I know that attendances don't mean anything, so do the professionals in the industry. But AFL fans don't know it.

And why do you spend so much time on a website devoted to a sport you don't like? :confused:

I never said that I didn't like the sport. I don't like the organisation that runs it, and I don't like most of the people who follow it, but I never said that I didn't like the sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back