Crows Chat That 'Doesnt Deserve Its Own Thread' Thread part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you take up the offer to Save ADELAIDEFC?
I once heard a story of a man who was stranded at sea due to a shipwreck and he was the only survivor. This man prayed and asked God to save his life. Soon after, a boat came by and offered the man some help. "No thanks," he said. "I'm waiting for God to save me." The men on the boat shrugged their shoulders and continued.

As the man became more deeply concerned, another boat came by. Again, the people aboard offered this man some help, and again he politely declined proclaiming, "I'm waiting for God to save me”.

After some time, the man began to lose his faith, and soon after that he died. Upon reaching Heaven, he had a chance to speak with God briefly. "Why did you let me die? Why didn't you answer my prayers?” he asked, and God’s response was, "I did. I sent you two boats!"

I think we are this man at times

What is everyone's ideal scenario for the rest of the season?

The more games we win the more confidence we have going into 2025 although we seem to have attacked this year with too much confidence and failed. It also concrete's a wasted year if we have a strong finish.

Losing most / all of our games will net us pick 4 but put enormous pressure on the club in the off season.

I don't think there is a win scenario from here but what's the best way to finish a disappointing year?

Rest the injured and niggled - schedule surgeries now having them ready for a full pre-season

Define who your 2025 list is now

Play anybody you think will be on your list or you are 50/50 about

Let the scoreboard determine itself

The more games we win the more confidence we have going into 2025 although we seem to have attacked this year with too much confidence and failed. It also concrete's a wasted year if we have a strong finish.

Losing most / all of our games will net us pick 4 but put enormous pressure on the club in the off season.

I don't think there is a win scenario from here but what's the best way to finish a disappointing year?
It's very unlikely that we'll catch the sides above us now even if we win a few more games. So we'll be in the pick 4-6 range depending on what goes on with St Kilda.

We can basically keep doing what we have done the last few weeks and play with freedom while giving opportunities to younger players. Curtin and Ryan should get some opportunities in the last 4-5 weeks also.

Also, anyone who needs surgery should get it done now.

Also, spend the money to get some decent assistant coaches and head of football. We look like an SANFL club atm which is embarassing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good question. For me:

• plan for 2025 with Bond, Nank, Dowling etc playing all remaining games. And Curtin and Ryan ideally a number also. Murphy, Smith demoted and other senior players rested for juniors.
  • get any player like Pedlar in for early surgery.
  • finish 4th bottom (15th) to stop a potential Saints getting a ridiculous tier one pick for Battle and pushing us to 6.
  • finishing 15th also maximises chance of using 2025 F1 to obtain a possible pick 10-12 this year if we see a quality mid dropping.
  • beat a couple of very good sides playing great footy but still finish 4th. Perhaps Power and Swans. Lose in some very close games to remaining teams where we are ultra competitive and youngsters thrive
  • NO key injuries and be very conservative on this front

We won 3 of our last 5 in 2023 and those two losses were by a combined 7 points.

We then started 2024 with 1 win from our first 6 games.

Whether we win or lose the next 6 games has absolute no impact on our 2025 campaign.

Barring something really strange happening we will finish 14th or 15th. With the way the drafts get compromised with academy/father son picks and the pick swaps that can happen to go up or down I’d be surprised if finishing 14th instead of 15th impacts what player we end up with.

We are finally starting to see more of an emphasis on our future in selection and strategy from Nicks. Most of it has been forced upon him but still. I think having a strong block to finish the season where players like Dowling, Berry, Taylor, Thilthorpe, Nankervis etc can build on some reasonable form would be really beneficial for our development.

We should be looking at the Hawks, Bulldogs and Port games as very winnable. I’d like us to win two of those three. I also think we need to get the winning away monkey off our back, so I’d like to see us win one away. Geelong or Sydney looks pretty unlikely so tomorrow night probably has to be it.

We won 3 of our last 5 in 2023 and those two losses were by a combined 7 points.

We then started 2024 with 1 win from our first 6 games.

Whether we win or lose the next 6 games has absolute no impact on our 2025 campaign.

From a confidence point of view it doesn’t have much impact I agree. However I think a lot of player development can occur, given we finally actually seem to be prioritising the Taylor, Dowling, Nankervis types, I think good results in these games is a reasonable way to test how they’ve gone.

I would hope we put in especially big performances against Bombers & Hawks as I feel going into those games earlier this year we should have set ourselves to beat both.

Especially Hawks, the game we dished up vs them was our worst performance of the year IMO. They are not special, they have a good fixture and they've played well against teams around them with an older core group of players. Fell over the line against an average freo on the weekend for their first win against a top 8 side

Rest the injured and niggled - schedule surgeries now having them ready for a full pre-season

Define who your 2025 list is now

Play anybody you think will be on your list or you are 50/50 about

Let the scoreboard determine itself
Including giving a block of games to all our high end young talent. Curtin, Ryan & Edwards.

Just beat Port in the Showdown and next week beat the Hawks so it makes it impossible for both to make finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back