Crows in the SANFL Round 11

Remove this Banner Ad

I uploaded the highlights package for round 11 but it was too long and Youtube rejected it :eek: Who would have thought a couple of years ago that we'd be getting over 11 minutes of footage for a week in highlights of Crows players in the SANFL :thumbsu:

I'm uploading the split-up version now but it'll likely not be finished before I go to bed so I'll put it up tomorrow. For now I'm watching it on my computer though.

Kite looked average here - he's got a really wierd body shape with long, thin legs and then a fairly square body above that. Not sure about some of his disposal but he certainly loves to take the game on which will fit in well with our current game plan. Seemed sometimes that he just ran and then belted the ball as far as he could which probably isn't going to do him a lot of favours. He took a few absolutly beautiful marks though! Did he kick many behinds? His kicking for goal looked pretty reliable.

Young looks like a monster in the reserves, hahahaha :p I'd love to see how he'd go in that back pocket in a better side, looks like Norwood reserves were giving him absolutely nothing to kick to so he had to bomb it long each time, not ideal for the kid. It looked like his kicks were generally going where he was intending though which is what really matters. If he keeps up his development at this rate I'd have no trouble seeing him slot into our backline at some stage in the future (can we find a spot for him though? His career might depend on Rutten hitting the wall early)

McKernan has definitely lost weight, and for my money it's mostly from his ass :p He's still a frightening man on the footy field though! What was the deal with South constantly kicking backwards to him and expecting him to set up from the HBF?

Donnelly... hahaha, he's never played before this year and he's already developed a stutter in his goalkicking routine :D He does seem to be reading the ball in flight well enough though and using his body to good effect. He's got sticky hands. His kick is still ugly but seems to be reliable enough close to goal :eek: He looks like he's put on a tonne of muscle. Maybe it's just because I'm used to seeing him next to hardened AFL players instead of reserves kids but he looks solid as can be through his chest now!

You know, watching Donnelly makes me ask the question I've always wondered about, since I never really played football - why is it that players, when they're say, 10-30m out, never just do a little pop-up straight forward kick designed to go about 30m? Surely it's got to be more reliable than trying to kick the cover off the ball? Donnelly was doing it from about 20m out to reasonable effect, if he can do that then surely kids growing up with it could be. Is it really that important to have a single technique for every shot on goal regardless of circumstance?

Hopefully these highlights will be up tomorrow.

Young looks like a monster in the reserves, hahahaha :p I'd love to see how he'd go in that back pocket in a better side, looks like Norwood reserves were giving him absolutely nothing to kick to so he had to bomb it long each time, not ideal for the kid. It looked like his kicks were generally going where he was intending though which is what really matters. If he keeps up his development at this rate I'd have no trouble seeing him slot into our backline at some stage in the future (can we find a spot for him though? His career might depend on Rutten hitting the wall early)
We could easily find a spot for him, easily. He’s flexible enough to play in a variety of positions due to his fantastic athleticism. I could see him playing a variety of roles down back as he could take the big key forwards but he is quick and agile enough to be able to play on the smalls. I think he has a brighter future than Kite.

We could easily find a spot for him, easily. He’s flexible enough to play in a variety of positions due to his fantastic athleticism. I could see him playing a variety of roles down back as he could take the big key forwards but he is quick and agile enough to be able to play on the smalls. I think he has a brighter future than Kite.

Um well it's a quote from Drummond about a Norwood player so I'll just take that pinch of salt now....:p

However, I must say that I think Young could be a key to our clubs sustained success. Most of us can see a bright future in about 2 years, but past that timeframe I can really see Rutten struggling (if not sooner). His legs just seem to be getting slower and more full of lead! Bock is also showing a few worrying signs with hamstring injuries, but i suspect he will be ok.
I can see Davis taking Otten's current role in the short term and then CHB once Bock is struggling. But, who will fill the FB spot? From what I can see Young looks like our only genuine option. Hence he just might be one of the most important people on our list!

True, he does have that quickness that Truck doesn't and it would be good to learn along side him.

With Trucks form atm he is set for a while longer, looks like when Otten goes into the middle Davis and Young can fight for that spot. With Kite I guess.

3 things: 1 - I thought Young was meant to be very dodgy by foot? His foot skills looked excellent in that clip, even hitting a target on the left.

2 - Not a criticism of Smack, but I died a little inside watching that clip. The sort of footy South were playing in that last quarter, I'm glad they lost by a point.

3 - Donnelly's hands look good. People above have posted that all he ever seems to do is have set shots for goal, but I loved that pressure grab on the lead out wide where he took some real physical punishment and came up with the ball. A long way from what we heard about him dropping his head a couple of times in pre-season. He's still got a way to go, but I think the signs are pretty good so far.

Someone on the Snouts forum suggested they heard Darell Hart calling Matty Rendell telling him the Crows need to move Donnelly to a different club. He apparently believes Glenelg arent "embracing" him. He wrote down the conversation he heard so if you wanna know more about that check out the site. (i dont think im allowed to post a link to it????)

You know, watching Donnelly makes me ask the question I've always wondered about, since I never really played football - why is it that players, when they're say, 10-30m out, never just do a little pop-up straight forward kick designed to go about 30m? Surely it's got to be more reliable than trying to kick the cover off the ball? Donnelly was doing it from about 20m out to reasonable effect, if he can do that then surely kids growing up with it could be. Is it really that important to have a single technique for every shot on goal regardless of circumstance?

I was always taught (and i think it works great) to pick a spot behind the goals in the distance and try to kick the ball to that object. Kicking short kicks means you are not really kicking through the ball and there more room for error. Gill is an example of taking that too far though. HE tries to kick it as hard as he can and often mis-drops the ball, resulting in his 1 in 4 shanks on goal.

Did you see Gill's goal? Marks in the square and booted the crap out of it! Just snuck in too.

You are right though, if you are 25 out you shouldn't aim for a 25m kick, just kick straight through the ball at the target behind the goals and you should be right. Kicking the cover off the ball is going a little too far of course.

Again, not having played football myself I just don't understand why it's better. I mean, okay, not a 25m kick when you're 25m out, but players can hit a target over 30m a hell of a lot easier than over 50m, so why not go for a 30m kick if you're close enough for that to carry you through? Why not aim for a point on the fence behind the goals and try to lob it through to there? Surely that would be a more reliable kick?

Mind you I'm not taking into account things like the wind, or kicking over a man on the mark or anything. I'm almost certain I'm wrong or else plenty of others would have done it in the past, but I just don't understand why I'm wrong.

The further away your target is, the more accurate your trajectory is but i think its more to do with the feeling of kicking through the ball. You see even AFL players miss close goals cos they try to just stab the ball over a short distance. The more force through the ball the more it is likely to follow the same path as your foot is taking (providing the ball is struck prety cleanly).

Did you see Gill's goal? Marks in the square and booted the crap out of it! Just snuck in too.

You are right though, if you are 25 out you shouldn't aim for a 25m kick, just kick straight through the ball at the target behind the goals and you should be right. Kicking the cover off the ball is going a little too far of course.
I'll kick 40-45 no from 10 out to 40 out.

Further out, have to push the distance a tad more.

Closer, 20 ish unless checkside or snap.

Kick through the ball to your comfort level.

Some players also have natural swing in their kicks meaning if their real close (<15m), they may have to aim off center to make sure the ball goes through. Thus why people open the angles when close.

Someone on the Snouts forum suggested they heard Darell Hart calling Matty Rendell telling him the Crows need to move Donnelly to a different club. He apparently believes Glenelg arent "embracing" him. He wrote down the conversation he heard so if you wanna know more about that check out the site. (i dont think im allowed to post a link to it????)

Sounds unlikely to me considering Rendell is the recruitment man. Once their on the list Rendell has very little to do with the players.

If it was true you'd think Hart would call Reid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds unlikely to me considering Rendell is the recruitment man. Once their on the list Rendell has very little to do with the players.

If it was true you'd think Hart would call Reid.

The person who posted it said he was talking to a bloke called Matt on the phone. He assumed it to be Rendell

Again, not having played football myself I just don't understand why it's better. I mean, okay, not a 25m kick when you're 25m out, but players can hit a target over 30m a hell of a lot easier than over 50m, so why not go for a 30m kick if you're close enough for that to carry you through? Why not aim for a point on the fence behind the goals and try to lob it through to there? Surely that would be a more reliable kick?
It's weird. I dont understand the physics behind kicking, but if I had a set shot from 20m or closer I normally stab at it, but I would only give me a 66% chance of getting it.

Yet when im about 20-40m I'm almost automatic. Because Im kicking through it.

It's weird. I dont understand the physics behind kicking, but if I had a set shot from 20m or closer I normally stab at it, but I would only give me a 66% chance of getting it.

Yet when im about 20-40m I'm almost automatic. Because Im kicking through it.
Stabbings only good in prison, it's also the term now referred to when one is stalking Rory Sloane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows in the SANFL Round 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back