Crows in the SANFL Round 11

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm certainly not suggesting that the Crows stat-keepers never miss a stat. All I was suggesting was that they missed less than the SANFL stat keepers, due to having a lighter workload.

Simply if they did not provide a higher quality output than the sanfl stat keepers, then the club would not bother to do their own thing.

which must, by definition, also be an expression of dissatisfaction with the SANFL stat guys.

I dont have a problem admiting when I'm wrong, I do have a problem with yet another display of the all too familiar cowardice from the mob.

So where was the admission that you were wrong before "the mob" called you up on it?

And the fact that you have the tenacity to accuse others of name-calling cowardice in this thread is quite frankly embarassing for all of us.

Drum, Drum, Drum what do they say about glass houses. I've lost count how many times your Norwood/Crows superstar of the future is proven to be rubbish.

I liked you better before you became a s*ck to this boards multitude of sheeplike yes men.
What the heck mate? I wasn't having a go at you, far from it!

Anyway, delusional rantings aside, I just watched the highlights and some thoughts:

Young and Kite: Definitely a class above SANFL seconds. Particularly loved Kite's strength in the air and versatility in this clip, similar thoughts for Young, seemed very powerful. Both's disposal was a bit dodgy, however I'll write that off to a cold, wintery Norlunga day.

McKernan: Now I can see why everyone was whining about South's last quarter game plan, about 10 possesions in 'tempo football'! Having said that he also did another beautiful chase and tackle and took a decent contested mark. Also showed his outstanding vertical leap. Still think he's a bit off AFL though.

Donnelly: Looks a bloody good forward at SANFL reserves level, hell, he's showing alot more than Sellar did at the same level last year! Seems to have forward instincts, and a decent set of hands. Doesn't have the most reliable kick in the world, but probably has a great scope for improvement there. Definitely looks a player:thumbsu:

Roosters Shine in SANFL
Adelaide’s contingent of North Adelaide players performed well in the SANFL on Saturday.

2008 draftee Phil Davis was ranked among North’s best in its 89-point win over Sturt at Prospect Oval. The young defender collected 18 possessions across half-back and continues to gain confidence in the role.

Nick Gill was again impressive as a defender, with 20 possessions, ten marks and a goal, while Rory Sloane returned to the league side and worked hard inside the packs for his 11 touches.

For Sturt, rookie Brodie Martin was one of its leading contributors with 20 possessions.

James Sellar played another solid game for top side Glenelg in its 46-point win over West Adelaide. He had 10 possessions and 20 hit-outs.

Eighteen-year-old ruckman Shaun McKernan was rated among the Panthers’ better players in their one-point loss to Norwood at Noarlunga. McKernan finished with 13 possessions, nine marks and 23 hit-outs. Myke Cook also had some good moments among his 22 possessions.

Reserves

Will Young (15 disposals, eight marks), returning from an ankle injury, was named Norwood’s best and Aaron Kite (14 possessions, seven marks) also played well, booting four goals once shifted from defence to centre half forward.

Rookie Brian Donnelly kicked 3.2 from eight possessions and four marks for Glenelg. Robert Shirley played one quarter for South Adelaide’s reserves on Saturday morning before receiving the news that he was required as an emergency by the Crows.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4417/newsid/78890/default.aspx

Pretty harsh on the South Reserves!

Interesting...

Nick Gill
Crows: 20 possessions, ten marks and a goal
Advertiser: 18 possessions, ten marks and a goal

Phil Davis
Crows: 18 possessions
Advertiser: 18 possessions

Rory Sloane
Crows: 11 possessions
Advertiser: 12 possessions

Brodie Martin
Crows: 20 possessions
Advertiser: 20 possessions

James Sellar
Crows: 10 possessions and 20 hit-outs
Advertiser: 11 possessions and 20 hit-outs (pretty impressive they got the HO's the same!!) :p

Shaun McKernan
Crows: 13 possessions, nine marks and 23 hit-outs
Advertiser: 13 possessions, nine marks and 23 hit-outs (again, same HO's, yay!)

Myke Cook
Crows: 22 possessions
Advertiser: 22 possessions

Conclusion: Looks like the Advertiser stats are more accurate than people thought! Especially the hit outs!

That's not true. I've praised your guys many times, I like Paul Stewart and have praised him often after good games. I've even posted on your board in reponse to how Meyer performed and I said he was terrific. I've given a heap of your SANFL players praise, not just Norwood blokes. You know I have.

I apriciate it Drum!

Off the video it appears McKernan has thinned down ......hence the comment by another poster of how smaller he looked

I can only assume that AFL training has removed the "puppy fat" ......now it's time next PS to add more muscle .........I have no doubts looking at his performance over quite a few weeks that he will be a good AFL player .......how good OTWT.

Good to see Gill used at CHB ......his kicking was ALWAYS going to shortcut his AFL career as a forwrd ......but as a backman he may still have a future because his field kicking is pretty decent, he's a good ohead mark, and as we know a good tackler

I have to agree with drummond in his assessment of Gallman .....IMO he's not a KPP, and not quick enough for any other role .....looked very slow in the PS game

Young seems to have that something .......for a big bloke he's very composed, seems to have a lot of time and has something I can't yet put my finger on .......certainly worth perservering with

Donnelly .....I like! ........has great hands at ground level and above his head ......is Tippett like with his kicking action and for his first year he's pretty good.

Looks a touch slow ATS ......but a second PS will sharpen everything up

Notice how his performances have got better as it's got colder :p .......so much like home

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Donnelly's an interesting one. He looks very comfortable in his role now but every one of his highlights packages have been the same - five or six shots at goal and nothing else. Would like to see him start to get up the ground a bit more, because his stats and videos seem to suggest that he's having about as many scoring shots as possessions and doing little else every game.

Still, for a guy so very new to the game, he's looking very comfortable. Goal kicking isn't bad, and his marking is good. Would like to see more field kicking now.

Donnelly's an interesting one. He looks very comfortable in his role now but every one of his highlights packages have been the same - five or six shots at goal and nothing else. Would like to see him start to get up the ground a bit more, because his stats and videos seem to suggest that he's having about as many scoring shots as possessions and doing little else every game.

Still, for a guy so very new to the game, he's looking very comfortable. Goal kicking isn't bad, and his marking is good. Would like to see more field kicking now.

I'd wager he'd be following instructions from the Bays coaching staff to stay inside the 50.

I'd wager he'd be following instructions from the Bays coaching staff to stay inside the 50.

I imagine you're right. He's still getting to understand the game so why not just plonk him up there and say, lead at the ball and then kick goals when you get it.

KingsCrow - I doubt Davis will be rising star next year :p Besides, McKernan may be ahead of him next year. But I am pretty confident that Davis will have a very nice year nice year for a young tall.

I don't think your allowed to win it if you've been nominated in a previous season for some ****ed up reason even though you still can be nominated the next season?
Of course you can win it if you're good enough to get a nomination in both years - it's just that none of them were good enough to win it.

There have actually been several players nominated twice - Duncan Kellaway (Richmond 1993/94), Craig Callaghan (Fremantle 1995/96), Michael Braun (West Coast 1997/98), Luke Power (Brisbane 1998/99), Nathan Jones (Melbourne 2006/07) and Mark LeCras (West Coast 2006/07).

In most of those cases, they earned their first nomination late in the year. The implications of this are twofold - late nominations are usually the less worthy players (those who are just making up the numbers once all the good players have been picked), secondly it means that they made their debut late in the season and were unlikely to have sufficient impact to win the award.

There's no hard & fast pattern about earning their second nomination, but none of these players ever threatened to take home the title. Jones was the only one to actually poll votes, finishing 3rd in 2007.

Ziebell, however, will find it very difficult to join that elite "club" - his 10 games in 2009 will make him ineligible for the award in 2010.

Mitch Farmer from Sturt (power listed) wants to move to North Adelaide. Dunno if its already been mentioned.

And seriously, if Port dont play Broadbent this year, I think we should put an offer on the table, Gill for Brogsy. They seem to like playing old used by players down at Alberton.

Also another thought, Davis, 2010 rising star.
Why's everyone getting so up in arms about Broadbent not playing? :confused:

Sure he's been good but it's not as though he's been BOG every week ala Symes in 2007. He's a first year player for crying out loud.

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows in the SANFL Round 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back