Crows join race for Cloke

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that I've though about It the whole Cloke thing would be a bad thing I would've thought. You'd have to be paying massive overs for him for 5 years taking about a huge chunk of the salary cap. You'd get his moo of a father for free and we'd have flog of the year 'Chins' Mcguire declaring war on the AFC!
Lets just hope Tippett stays... :thumbsu:

TIppett the preferred choice, but if he is not sure to commit, it would be remis of the club not to explore other options. Cloke is an obvious replacement and is a quality player. Whether he would come here is a moot point as is how much he is worth. Not upset this story is in the media. End of the day Kurt needs to make a decision soon.

So now we have Rucci weighing in, and his article is one of his better ones in recent memory.

but all these articles have told us is that we've enquired into Clokes availability. It could be as simple as phoning his old man and asking if he'd move to Adelaide, and what the real figure is he's looking for.

That should be done for EVERY single free agent out there.

I just see this as doing our due diligence and perhaps putting some pressure on Tippett. Not sure that it relates to this story specifically, but in the current climate is the way to build a list?

1. Draft and develop gun players.
2. Trade them just as they hit their peak for good young players from other sides or high draft picks.
3. Use the resulting cap space to throw cash at established gun Free Agents.

So you end up essentially trading one gun for another and picking up a high draft pick or a good young player in the deal. For example, he has signed now but would we have been better off trading Danger for say, Menzel and a first rounder and then making a big play at Goddard?

Just a thought, given the 2 for 1 nature of the hypothetical Tippett trade/Cloke FA signing.

Wow - we move Tippett for Redden and sign Cloke. Suddenly we've added a premium mid and forward (who, realistically, is better though less flexible than Tippett) and we're MUCH better as a side.

We won't get Cloke he wouldn't come here. Tippett will stay. When we re-signed him in 09 he signed just before the finals. He will take a pay cut just like I think alot of our players are doing to keep the group together. Think Geelong and Collingwood. I think he'll sign a 3 year contract he'll be 28 then. He'll go be back home and then Sam Day will hit his peak that time, he'll be 21, 22. Everything will workout for the best in the end of the day. Everyone needs to just chill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very glad we're following up on contingency plans.

Not so sure about the public nature of it but if we didn't make it public Clokes would've.

Is there another option besides Cloke?

Q Lynch was mentioned earlier this week.

People forget that Lewis Johnston is only 21, so is McKernan. A lot of potential between the two, hopefully we see it before they are 24 and one of them comes up trumps.
Dont know how can put L Johnston yet to prove himself and Smack who showed absolute nothing in many matches over last 3 years to adequate replacement for Tippett .
Think club thinking like I am if we lose Kurt then have to gain a Key Forward to stay up pushing top clubs.

Can't see why you'd need Cloke with the likes of Tippett, Walker, Callinan ect. I'd like to know what was silly about that suggestion, why was Tippett already being dicscussed in this thread then?
That is what the whole thread is about.

Can't see why you'd need Cloke with the likes of Tippett, Walker, Callinan ect. I'd like to know what was silly about that suggestion, why was Tippett already being dicscussed in this thread then?
DoubleFacePalm.jpg

What my eloquent colleague is saying is that had you read the rest of the thread you would understand that yes, we wouldnt want Cloke if Tippett stays, no we dont want Tippett to go, and Yes maybe this is to stir up Tippett into signing making him feel replaceable.

Dont know how can put L Johnston yet to prove himself and Smack who showed absolute nothing in many matches over last 3 years to adequate replacement for Tippett .
Think club thinking like I am if we lose Kurt then have to gain a Key Forward to stay up pushing top clubs.

I'm not saying they will be a straight swap. It's difficult to write them off though when they are only 21. Regardless, I'm saying we don't need a like for like replacement, or a forward of Tippett's quality to win a flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows join race for Cloke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back