Rumour CROWS-RELATED TRADE RUMOURS - ALL trade rumours go here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eclipse?

As in, blocks out the sun?

inigo_montoya_that_word.jpg

1. (transitive) To overshadow; to be better or more noticeable than. The student’s skills soon eclipsed those of his teacher.
I'm all for grammar nazism but at least be correct. :p

1. (transitive) To overshadow; to be better or more noticeable than. The student’s skills soon eclipsed those of his teacher.
I'm all for grammar nazism but at least be correct. :p
You mean "I'm all for grammar nazism and at least be correct."

Right?

Also, I shall not!

I have been reading posts by carlton supporters for the last half hour, and have lost 50 IQ points.

Eclipse?

As in, blocks out the sun?

inigo_montoya_that_word.jpg

o_rly.jpg

I've been grammar nazi-ing these parts for seven long years, champ. :D

GrammarPolice.gif

Salute.JPG

I cannot, in good conscience, allow this heinous accusation against my good person slide. You dare question my correct usage of the word 'eclipse'?
Person by person, post by post, I strive for the protection and preservation of the English language.

*wipes away tear*

He turns 29 on New Years Eve this year.

You're expecting him to continue playing for 4-6 years? As previously noted, he turns 29 during the off-season, so that would mean that he'll last until the age of 32-34.

I suppose that's not outside the realms of possibility, though history suggests that WA based players have a relatively short shelf life due to the hassles of flying across the country every 2nd week. The flight from Melbourne to Perth is about 5 hours in duration (give or take, depending on the headwinds), it's a far cry from the 45min jaunt to Adelaide. The end result is that no WA based player has yet reached 300 games and very few last beyond the age of 30.

If we were guaranteed to get a minimum of 4 years service then I'd jump at the trade. My gut feel is that he only has 2-3 years left in him.

What is it about sitting in a plane for 35 hours extra a year make it so you are stuffed years early?

Is there anything scientific behind it?

I suspect it has a lot to do with muscles stiffening up while the boys are cooped up in the seats for a long time. Note that AFL footballers are taller than your average citizen, so they probably struggle for leg room more than most - and most of us think that economy class = sardine class anyway.

Lets not forget that the boys often have sore bodies, particularly on the flights home. Even the best of warm-down and recovery routines can only do so much.

Freo's longest lasting players have been Shane Parker (238 games) and Matthew Pavlich (234*). West Coast have Jakovich (276), McKenna (267), Banfield (265) and Peter Matera (253). In contrast, Adelaide have 4 players who managed 300+ games (Hart, Ricciuto, Edwards and McLeod).

It's just a theory, but one which is supported by the fact that the Weagles in particular lost so many of their stars to retirement at a relatively young age.

I suspect it has a lot to do with muscles stiffening up while the boys are cooped up in the seats for a long time. Note that AFL footballers are taller than your average citizen, so they probably struggle for leg room more than most - and most of us think that economy class = sardine class anyway.

Lets not forget that the boys often have sore bodies, particularly on the flights home. Even the best of warm-down and recovery routines can only do so much.

Freo's longest lasting players have been Shane Parker (238 games) and Matthew Pavlich (234*). West Coast have Jakovich (276), McKenna (267), Banfield (265) and Peter Matera (253). In contrast, Adelaide have 4 players who managed 300+ games (Hart, Ricciuto, Edwards and McLeod).

It's just a theory, but one which is supported by the fact that the Weagles in particular lost so many of their stars to retirement at a relatively young age.
I don't think you can use the lack of 300+ players to claim a legitimate argument here.

What happened with us is VERY rare.

Take Melbourne Demons as an example. They are considered as the oldest FC in the country yet in their long history they have only had one 300+ game player in David Neitz. By contract to WA sides, MFC does bugger all travel on a yearly basis.

On the flip side WC have 14 200 gamers to Adelaide's 8.

From my experience, arguably limited, the Weagles tend to stand up as soon as they can mate and fill the aisle on the plane. Not a great deal of time spent 'sitting in cramped seats'.

Big story in The Advertiser today about the "Top 20" that we're targetting.

Hurn is my number 1 given I think Griffen is a no-go.

Settle down, it's a nothing article. It's nothing more than a column filler for Andrew Capel, IMO he was simply sitting at his desk listening to 5AA when either Matt Rendell or Phil Harper came on and grabbed a few quotes.

There is nothing concrete to that article, its all fluff anyone could write after reading this thread. In fact, i recon he got those names from this thread.

This trade week will be a big test for us then. We have the cash to throw around, we have some trade bait including possibly Knights who is good quality trade bait and we've come out saying we are going to be aggressive. If we don't land at least one decent name it'll be pretty disappointing.

Obviously Griffen is number 1 target and then possibly Hurn. I don't think we should give up on Grif too easily-throw a bigger financial carrot at him, surely a heavily front loaded contract would be possible before the likes of Danger, Walker etc need resigning onto big contracts. I would guess Tippo is our highest paid player now and he's rumoured to be around the 500k mark. Most other clubs would have at least 1 or 2 players earning around the 600/700k plus mark. We need to be a little smarter with out TPP I reckon.

I must say I hope (and expect) that we've been approaching the player managers throughout the year - especially for someone like Griffen - rather than just starting to do it now.

Settle down, it's a nothing article. It's nothing more than a column filler for Andrew Capel, IMO he was simply sitting at his desk listening to 5AA when either Matt Rendell or Phil Harper came on and grabbed a few quotes.

There is nothing concrete to that article, its all fluff anyone could write after reading this thread. In fact, i recon he got those names from this thread.

Big as in size mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously Griffen is number 1 target and then possibly Hurn. I don't think we should give up on Grif too easily-throw a bigger financial carrot at him, surely a heavily front loaded contract would be possible before the likes of Danger, Walker etc need resigning onto big contracts. I would guess Tippo is our highest paid player now and he's rumoured to be around the 500k mark. Most other clubs would have at least 1 or 2 players earning around the 600/700k plus mark. We need to be a little smarter with out TPP I reckon.

I don't think we can. From my understanding, after signing Tippett last year and re-signing Dangerfield, and a few others (MacKay, Douglas, Thompson and what every they are offering Knights) the $500 - 550,000 is all that's left over. However, i would hope the club is talking to Balfour, Farmers Union, Coopers, Rivergum, and trying to arrange an extra (Judd like sponsorship) to increase the payment we can offer him.

I don't think we can just up the ante from the salary cap.

here is the article

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...cruiting-mission/story-e6frecoc-1225913168026

the article names the following players

"Matthew Pavlich of Fremantle and Ryan Griffen of the Western Bulldogs, while fellow Croweaters Shannon Hurn (West Coast), Byron Schammer (Fremantle), Will Minson (Western Bulldogs), Lindsay Thomas (North Melbourne) and Sam Jacobs (Carlton)"

IMO these players are media speculation only and I would not be surprised if there were some names on the list that were not so obvious to the jurno's

I don't think we can. From my understanding, after signing Tippett last year and re-signing Dangerfield, and a few others (MacKay, Douglas, Thompson and what every they are offering Knights) the $500 - 550,000 is all that's left over. However, i would hope the club is talking to Balfour, Farmers Union, Coopers, Rivergum, and trying to arrange an extra (Judd like sponsorship) to increase the payment we can offer him.

I don't think we can just up the ante from the salary cap.

We've got about 500k from Bock, then Griff would have been on 150-200k probably, plus Knights, who would've been around 200-300, moving into the 300-400k bracket next year, if they all go, I'd say we'd have a fair bit of cash to throw around. Oh and that's without mentioning the 5 other retiree's:eek:

here is the article

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...cruiting-mission/story-e6frecoc-1225913168026

the article names the following players

"Matthew Pavlich of Fremantle and Ryan Griffen of the Western Bulldogs, while fellow Croweaters Shannon Hurn (West Coast), Byron Schammer (Fremantle), Will Minson (Western Bulldogs), Lindsay Thomas (North Melbourne) and Sam Jacobs (Carlton)"

IMO these players are media speculation only and I would not be surprised if there were some names on the list that were not so obvious to the jurno's

Yeah, as Alex_is_on_fire also mentions, its a fluff piece as a result of a slow news day. We're definitely speaking to Griffen and Pav, but the others? The article says that the others are "understood to be on their recruiting radar", with "understood" being the operative words, which is journalism speak for I went on BigFooty and they're the five names predominantly mentioned there, or he just made them up. Chances are a couple of them are on our list, but we won't really know until trade week.

why can't we be targeting non SA born players

I want to land a big fish and not just one from SA
The player has to want to come here. When we bid for a player, we’re not the only ones doing so, usually competing with at least one other Vic based team. The salary cap specifics between us and rival clubs will likely be similar, meaning we can afford to offer similar amounts. Now for example, this year Essendon have a lot of cash, they’re as desperate for a star as we are, so if we offer the same (or similar) contracts to a player who is Vic based…..why would they come here?

We could of course offer 30% over what the other club does, but it would cripple future negotiations with current players.

The players we can target, are players who want to come here. This is SA players, who if offered a similar contract by us and their current team/another same state team, have a vested interest in taking ours.

We can also go after players who aren’t getting opportunities. These can be Vic players, but it’s unlikely they’ll be superstars.

why can't we be targeting non SA born players

I want to land a big fish and not just one from SA

Nothing to suggest that we're not, just that we're probably more likely to snare a ex-pat south Aussie than an interstater, although you never know, I'd certainly hope we're not just targeting ex-SA boys though.

Absolutely we'll be targeting non-SA players. It's just that this board is full of people who are obsessed with "the club for all South Australians" bringing expat South Aussies back into the fold.

Look at our trading history..
  • Moran was a Queenslander, born in the UK.
  • Scott Stevens was originally from WA.

Shotgun not reading all 39 pages of this thread, but has Stanton been mentioned at all?

Would be a good backup to Griffen if Knighta was to go.

He's unfairly maligned by Bombers fans IMO. Has great skills but struggling with confidence and decision making. Demanding 400k and they're not giving it to him. Craigy would certainly love that engine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back