Cyril Rioli retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Real tough for clubs to lose 28 year olds to retirement as well, huge void and no compo.

Really do hope there's a sneaky chance of getting him to the Tiges for year at 30 yo with Dan.

On a further selfish note, this must weaken Dan's support network in Melb which could be a worry at some point.
Don’t worry, he’ll have his younger uncle playing along side him in a few years.

Back in the late '90's I'd watch Winston Abraham and thought he was the most naturally talented player I'll ever see. Then a decade later Cyril came around. Both had the amazing ability to make the freakish look pedestrian and everyone around them look a little foolish. Unbelievable to watch.

All the best for the future Cyril

Yeh I know what you mean. Footy these days has a heavy emphasis on defence. But if we are talking about small forwards, kicking goals is what they should be judged on. Just reckon Eddie has him covered and has been pretty consistent for over 10 years
To be fair eddy was pretty much a full forward when he was at Adelaide, the sheer amount of ball that went through him compared to cyril would of been so lopsided, I have no doubt that cyril had the tools to kick a lot more goals, but when your playing in possibly the best forwardline to ever grace a football field sometimes you’ve got to play your role and do the things the team needs

Back in the late '90's I'd watch Winston Abraham and thought he was the most naturally talented player I'll ever see. Then a decade later Cyril came around. Both had the amazing ability to make the freakish look pedestrian and everyone around them look a little foolish. Unbelievable to watch.

He was a gun!

You're just being provocative.Four flags, norm smith medal ,best tackler in league had opposition teams in fear of him, courageous highly skilled .That's 4 more flags and one more Norm Smith medal than James Parsons.He would have been the second one picked after Franklin.
Now let's take your rant apart. 1. answering mod..no provocation 2. Team game, subjective award...plenty of tacklers just as good..hardly feared by whom?, some more courageous some less..agreed lots of skill. James Parsons? Franklin plays for Swans but once again subjective if not irrelevant. It's a TEAM game. You call yourself Socrates and yet you do not present his logic.

Now let's take your rant apart. 1. answering mod..no provocation 2. Team game, subjective award...plenty of tacklers just as good..hardly feared by whom?, some more courageous some less..agreed lots of skill. James Parsons? Franklin plays for Swans but once again subjective if not irrelevant. It's a TEAM game. You call yourself Socrates and yet you do not present his logic.
As I am one of the great philosophers, the simple test is--As a geelong supporter were you highly relieved if Cyril was out injured when Hawthorn was playing Geelong?

As I am one of the great philosophers, the simple test is--As a geelong supporter were you highly relieved if Cyril was out injured when Hawthorn was playing Geelong?
The Answer to this simple Test is as you say simple. He played 21 times against Geelong and Hawthorn won 5 times. He had one day out i.e kicked six and 15 in 20 other games. The honest answer is Geelong pretty much had him covered and our winning % when he was playing was 71%...so Logic (Socrates) says I would care less whether he was playing or not. His performances in finals were less than stellar against Geelong. Look at the stats and see for yourself.

That takes me back, Under-rated player

I have Cyril slightly behind Daniel Motlop ( who in my opinion is one of the most talented players ever to grace the field) when it comes to Indigenous small forwards but it can't be argued he has had a cracking career. When it comes down to it, we could all learn a thing or two from watching his highlights reel and if you ask me, that's pretty indicative of a good player. He'd certainly beat Ben Rutten in a foot race ;). Enjoy retirement Cyril, time to kick back with your millions and spend some quality time with the family. Good on you :thumbsu:

The Answer to this simple Test is as you say simple. He played 21 times against Geelong and Hawthorn won 5 times. He had one day out i.e kicked six and 15 in 20 other games. The honest answer is Geelong pretty much had him covered and our winning % when he was playing was 71%...so Logic (Socrates) says I would care less whether he was playing or not. His performances in finals were less than stellar against Geelong. Look at the stats and see for yourself.

Stats, lol. U must be new to analysing footy.

So cute.

I think that 3 on 1 tackle in the 2008 GF had an impact.I don't even barrack for Hawthorn, I just know like other football people he was a champion player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great player, amazing career.

A shame he was so over hyped by hawk supporters and the media, but that's not his fault.

As a member and supporter of Hawthorn long before the recent era of success I will fondly look back on those years namely because of Rioli. Sure we had plenty of premiership years but there were many frustrating years in his era.

There is just something immeasurable about watching Cyril. You always think about winning the game but as a supporter for so many years it’s had a different feeling knowing that he was going to make a few ridiculous plays in every game.

And you always knew despite having obvious flaws in the squad you always felt you were a shot with him in the side.

In an age dominated by stats I can appreciate that he never stacked up well on paper. He’s just like no other player that I’ve ever seen before and it’s just pointless trying to compare him to anyone.

An absolute privilege to watch and I cross my fingers that he has kids that want to play the game, even if it is for a short time.

Exactly. Footy is just a form of entertainment at the end of the day. Whilst winning is one expression of good entertainment, Cyril's ridiculous moves were a major reason I watched every game. The excitement from seeing him do something that no other player could do, was, to me, one of the most memorable aspects of the Hawks recent great era.

I think there will be some opposition players who will sleep better knowing Cyril isn’t lurking about

I have this funny feeling though we haven’t seen the end of him ...just a bunch

He’s 28 and hasn’t had a bruising career ,,,,he could be rookie listed in a year or two still

Obviously He needs to be with family and he’s made the right call but have this odd feeling we will see him again

Great player, amazing career.

A shame he was so over hyped by hawk supporters and the media, but that's not his fault.

Thats pretty much par for the course though isnt it? Your own teams supporters will always rate their own higher and the media love to pump up superstars as they feel thats what sells the brand/sport/industry.

I think there will be some opposition players who will sleep better knowing Cyril isn’t lurking about

I have this funny feeling though we haven’t seen the end of him ...just a bunch

He’s 28 and hasn’t had a bruising career ,,,,he could be rookie listed in a year or two still

Obviously He needs to be with family and he’s made the right call but have this odd feeling we will see him again

I agree,

will hopefully join us in 2020 so we can have 3 x riolis running around

I can dream :)

He’s 28 and hasn’t had a bruising career

Gotta disagree there. He's had some serious injuries over his career - his hamstrings and his knees in particular.

He came across in that interview as some one totally at peace with a new phase in his life.

Any chance the over the top hype about this bloke can die away now?
It won't because he is and has been a gun and you're wrong. So in your words "the over the top hype" will continue and you will just need to learn to ignore it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Cyril Rioli retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back