Cyril Rioli

Should Cyril Play Next Week

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hodge missed the PF through illness if I recall but I don't think there was anyone else they were taking any big risks with. What cost Hawthorn in 2012 was poor shooting for goal.
He also only played 10 games that year. Very much like Rioli this year.

So you agree in 2012 they also match up well against Sydney then?

The term 'match up well' means that a team seems to continuosly bother another team despite being lower ranked than that team (for instance, prior to this year at least Richmond seemed to match up well against Hawthorn). In 2012, Hawthorn were minor premiers and Sydney only came third. Yet Sydney beat them twice that year, both times when they were not favourite. So I'd say Sydney matched up well on Hawthorn and not vice versa.

I'd play Sewell regardless. His finals record speaks for itself and he would have been more than handy two days ago especially after Lewis was subbed out.
but its hard to think who he would replace. There is a case for Simpkin but really they are too different a type of players so I couldn't see that happening. I would also be pretty disappointed if Ceglar was dropped for McEvoy, even though I like McEvoy I think it would be harsh to drop Cegs

but its hard to think who he would replace. There is a case for Simpkin but really they are too different a type of players so I couldn't see that happening. I would also be pretty disappointed if Ceglar was dropped for McEvoy, even though I like McEvoy I think it would be harsh to drop Cegs

Guess we'll find out Thursday but it doesn't look good for Ceglar - McEvoy apparently played well against Sydney the last time they met and my guess is he was withdrawn from yesterday's game so that he doesn't play the GF having come off a six day break playing at Docklands.

If they play Cyril they will lose.

1. Could not compete against inferiors.
2. Mental damage from having to sit on the bench for a whole quarter while watching his mates get beaten in a Grand Final which means the world to them.

Lets not underestimate Cyril's power to ignite a match. This tackle turned the entire flow of the 2008 grand final. I was at the game and when he did this you immediately sensed that not only were Hawthorn in the game but they looked like they were going to win it.

As Schwatrz says "Thats what win's you matches".

Cyril wins matches, Cyril plays.

An underdone Rioli, and they probably will also roll the dice on Lewis will be too much too carry against Swans midfield.

I would bring in Sewell ahead of Rioli, too much risk.
Spot on.

Based on what I saw today, no. Forget his running fitness, his touch is just too far off. And that was just in a VFL game. Let alone an AFL Grand Final against Sydney.

And to those saying "play him as the sub", if he can't play 4 quarters he doesn't play. What happens if a Hawk goes down in the first 5 minutes? You can't take risk like that in a final, let alone a Grand Final.

this is Hawthorn we're talking about. The same team that gambled on Garlett, so yes . . . they will expect Rioli to work some miracles for half a quarter or more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He won't play. Clarko takes a lot of convincing to play injured players these days - whether it's because he's been burned before or because he's more confident in our depth now I'm not sure, but noone is irreplaceable, especially this season.

Plus Simpkin plays the sub role beautifully, and has the runs on the board in terms of coming off the pine to get some possessions.

I wouldn't have thought Hawthorn needed to play Rioli. They are a great side with depth throughout. It's not like they need everyone of their best players available to have a chance to "pinch it". Much safer option to go with those who have got Hawthorn to this spot.

Some of you lot are crazy. Admittedly I didn't see the first half yesterday but he did two things in the third that led directly to goals and gave Box Hill momentum.

He plays. They're going to be pushing shit uphill as it is, they need all hands on deck.

I'm not sure ANYONE can run out onto the MCG for an AFL Grand Final and do well after not having played for 3 months

Then again, I'm not sure we can beat the AFL-$wan$ without a bit of Cyril magic.

It's a bit of a conundrum for Clarkson.

Play him as sub, if he tears his hammy get Hodge to knock him out, goes off with concussion and the subbed player comes back on.

Thanks me later Clarko.

Cyril scares me as an opposition supporter.... I have massive respect for him and the GF would be better with him playing.

However if he isn't 100% fit.... GFs are often won and lost with these decisions. Teams that have a couple of players not quite right often lose. Massive decision on the hands of the Hawks match committee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cyril Rioli

Back