D3 2009 Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just following a mate in D3....geez, a little touchy aren't we
Unless this is against the rules of BigFooty, then I apologise
Correct, we are not in A anymore...well done

Don't get me wrong, I have a mate that played there, nice bloke and a good footballer, Dale Brennan. Left the club because many senior players were too far up themselves. There are many nice people at the Nodds i'm sure. ( ie:Kellys)
Who's your mate?
My point about Rupo is that they don't have much silverware, that's all.

Amazing effort mate.
Isn't it funny how money (player payments) has changed the fortunes of suburban clubs. I'm pretty sure Elsternwick have a couple of A-grade pennants hanging in their club rooms. They are finding it harder and harder to make their way up the grades which is sad as the top grades need some diversity.

District clubs can't afford to hand out scholarships to the progeny of top footballers (who have probably no academic prowess anyway) Such is life!.:rolleyes:

Some great reading in here this week, well done everyone. Far better than the normal stuff... Nickoteens thought for the day.

Funniest comment was by RECORDS saying you shouldn't post such rubbish on an internet forum...hahaha

I dont really care who wins this week, as long as Bentleigh lose in weeks 2 or 3 of the finals.

I might go watch Ormond try to survive the drop out at Hampton this week.

Don't blame us for you being bitter about being relegated, you put yourself in that position

Tips for this week:

Bentleigh by 44 points over St Francis Xavier - Bentleigh has been the best team all season and I expect it to be no difference here. Luke Holmesby to have a big game accross half back.

Elsterwick by 12 points over St Marys/Salesian - SMS have been inconsistent of late and while the Wicks finished well behind them, I think they have a bit more finals experience. The loss of Cam Armstrong will be too much to overcome and Craig Mahony will have a field day on the open spaces of Scammell Reserve.

Ressies:

I don't really care who wins the ressies, but my tips are Bentleigh and Powerhouse.

Good luck to all teams involved.

Round 18 Preview

SMS
over UHS- VU by 15 Pts (St Mary's/Salesian know quite well that a loss will demote them to an elimination final so don't expect them to take this game lightly. Whilst Uni High have been competitive for much of the season, I feel that the class of SMS will be telling in second half).
Joc's over Monash by 8 pts (It has been 11 years since the Gryphs last played the equivalent of D4 football, however despite their fighting qualities they meet a St John’s side 'hell-bent' on playing finals football. This has hallmarks of a classic and I expect a fiery and passionate affair, but class normally wins in the end and the Gryphons simply don't have enough of it. Joc's just).
SFX over Wicks by 11 Pts (Speaking of classic encounters, this fixture at EP #2 also has the fans salivating. I've selected the Wicks incorrectly on countless occasions, so they will probably win, but the simple fact is that SFX are a quality side who rested many players last week, yet still won easily. I expect Elsternwick to jump their opponents but be gradually worn down as the day progresses and fall agonisingly short of finals. Sorry Sidey!).
Hawks over Westies by 16 Pts (The only fixture of no bearing is at Rathmines and expect the home side to win by virtue of being the home side. Both teams should be congratulated for avoiding relegation with relative ease (in the end) after belated beginnings).
Bentleigh over The House by 55 Pts (Even though the Piranhas are the only side to have knocked off the Demons in 09', don't expect a repeat. Powerhouse have arguably been the weakest team in the comp throughout the second half of the year and would be relegated save for a 12 team comp in 2010. The stalwarts at Ross Gregory will be checking the live score updates on the web from ECR to make sure the Gryphons don't pull off any final game heroics).

Round 18 Review

A paltry 1/5 for 67/90 - season.

What a classic final round it was. Upsets, twists and unbridled passion from all ensured that the final make up of the four and relegation went right to the final siren. Heartbreak for Monash who played for their lives, did everything right yet found out shortly after the final siren that the Piranhas had somehow defeated Bentleigh and all was lost. A bitter-sweet rendition of La Marseilles followed. Full credit to the fighting qualities of both Monash and Powerhouse. Both clubs wanted desperately to survive, neither deserved to be relegated, but the fact remains that the Gryphons finished two games out of the four, but in last place and 'them's the breaks".

There is an old saying 'that one man's loss is another man's gain" and in Monash beating the Joc's, The Wicks fall into the finals by the barest of margins. The faithful at EP2 received a live commentary from those at East Caulfield Reserve in the final couple of minutes to ensure that the Joc's didn't overrun the Gryphs. Speaking of St Johns, they were naturally also a despondent lot after the loss Saturday and this made for a sombre mood in the Gryphons social rooms immediately after the game.

At the other end of the table, SMS let the Double Chance slip through a combination of poor kicking and a tenacious Uni High outfit who wanted to leave 09 on a positive note. Rumour has it, that Coaches Adams & Bailey delivered one of the great tongue lashings immediately after the game in the Brens Oval Cells.

SFX were the big winners of the weekend, but they too almost let it slip by letting the Wicks turn around a 9 goal half time lead. It is quite ironic that the three top teams in the division, the clubs that most observers would argue are well ahead of the pack, all played below their best last week. Two losing and the other holding on for a 2 point win. Finals are a whole new ball game though...

Semi Finals Preview

Bentleigh over SFX by 21 Pts (This column - unlike many others on this forum - has been a big fan of the Demons all season, so I am not about to get off their bandwagon now. It is clear to me that Bentleigh rested many players last week, but expect them to be far closer to full strength on Saturday. The pending wet conditions should suit the Demons even more. SFX have earned their crack at a Grand Final position, but feel I feel they may have to wait one more week to progress. Paul Magnifico and Chris Fidler to be amongst the best for Bentleigh)

SMS over Wicks by 41 Pts (The Wicks have fallen into 4th spot and although they have earned their spot, they are still well behind the top three teams class wise. Grace being outed only furthers their woes. SMS will be seeing after last weeks loss and expect them o hit the ground breathing fire. This contest could be over by half time. Andre Bonnici to revel in the damp conditions for the victors).

Good luck to all

Quasi

Predictable results??
No controversies??
Surely someone has something to write about.
The House had a win in the 2s as you would have read. Game played in good spirit - bad luck to the Westies. The House are looking forward to the clash with SMS this week.

Predictable results??
No controversies??
Surely someone has something to write about.
The House had a win in the 2s as you would have read. Game played in good spirit - bad luck to the Westies. The House are looking forward to the clash with SMS this week.
what was with the low scoring game in the 2s on sunday? st marys, powerhouse and west brunswicks combined scores of 35, 49 and 23 fall short of bentleighs 112 by 5 points.
st francis had bentleigh on toast AGAIN on saturday but didnt turn up in the 2nd half. it has been surprisingly quiet on here

what was with the low scoring game in the 2s on sunday? st marys, powerhouse and west brunswicks combined scores of 35, 49 and 23 fall short of bentleighs 112 by 5 points.
st francis had bentleigh on toast AGAIN on saturday but didnt turn up in the 2nd half. it has been surprisingly quiet on here

Just out of curiousity - what would you assess from it?

SFX very very good in first half against Bentleigh who were extremely slow out of the blocks and almost payed the price. Not sure what happened at half time but totally different sides in the second half . Think SFX will only get better and will be very hungry for revenge and a full 4 quarter effort against SMS.

Not sure about the reserves scores from Sunday would have thought higher scores than that considering conditions experienced on the Saturday. Who knows maybe it was a Sydney lock down effort with both teams struggling to break the lines.

Just out of curiousity - what would you assess from it?
sorry I dont know. I didnt see any of the 2s games on either day. I can make an assessment by looking at the scores and say bentleigh 2s are miles ahead of the rest unless powerhouse can kick straighter than they did. thats all I can say from just looking at the weekends scores. I was throwing that stat out there as a talking point seeing no one else really has had anything to say at this stage

Elsternwick were missing a certain S. Grace on the weekend.

Considering the Wicks got within a couple of goals, his absence was the difference between a Preliminary Final and a Mad Monday.

Great leadership shown by the great "Ego of Elsternwick".

I wonder whether he could look his teammates in the eye at mad Monday celebrations at the Elsternwick Hotel today.

As for Bentleigh winning in the Seniors and reserves and cliching promotion back to D2...the Bentleigh boys have started their Premiership celebrations a couple of weeks early and due to the "overindulgence" on Saturday night and Sunday, the Boys have been unable to post on the forum.

Either that or they have spent their Monday stripped naked and posing down for each other in front of the wall to wall mirrors in their changerooms.

sorry I dont know. I didnt see any of the 2s games on either day. I can make an assessment by looking at the scores and say bentleigh 2s are miles ahead of the rest unless powerhouse can kick straighter than they did. thats all I can say from just looking at the weekends scores. I was throwing that stat out there as a talking point seeing no one else really has had anything to say at this stage

Hey Bemused, I would have thought that the interpretation of scores made against different opposition on different days under different conditions without seeing either clash makes Ishist the D3 ressies expert. He also might have forgotten that the House 2s beat Bentleigh only a week ago so we'll forgive him for that.

Elsternwick were missing a certain S. Grace on the weekend.

Considering the Wicks got within a couple of goals, his absence was the difference between a Preliminary Final and a Mad Monday.

Great leadership shown by the great "Ego of Elsternwick".

I wonder whether he could look his teammates in the eye at mad Monday celebrations at the Elsternwick Hotel today.

As for Bentleigh winning in the Seniors and reserves and cliching promotion back to D2...the Bentleigh boys have started their Premiership celebrations a couple of weeks early and due to the "overindulgence" on Saturday night and Sunday, the Boys have been unable to post on the forum.

Either that or they have spent their Monday stripped naked and posing down for each other in front of the wall to wall mirrors in their changerooms.

if the armstrong bother's played the wick's would never had made that come back.totally different game with those boys. the wicks were already trying to tag half the side so cam would have been another.
You were probably the Photographer down at that session ya muppet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bentleigh have definately been ahead of the pack for most of the season. But as Vegemite (who always gives such an unbiased opinion) suggests, the competition has evened up towards the end of the season.

Bentleigh would have to be hot favourites wouldn't you think Bentleigh Boys - oh Sorry shhhhhhhhh

Bentleigh have definately been ahead of the pack for most of the season. But as Vegemite (who always gives such an unbiased opinion) suggests, the competition has evened up towards the end of the season.

Bentleigh would have to be hot favourites wouldn't you think Bentleigh Boys - oh Sorry shhhhhhhhh

Looks like Coach Bentleigh has banned the entire playing list from Big Footy!!!!

Hey Bemused, I would have thought that the interpretation of scores made against different opposition on different days under different conditions without seeing either clash makes Ishist the D3 ressies expert. He also might have forgotten that the House 2s beat Bentleigh only a week ago so we'll forgive him for that.

That was 2 weeks ago. The house 2's may as well stay home. Sorry guys, House and Stmarys play for second. Dont rate either side nearly enough to beat Benteigh again.

Unfortunately for us we let games we should have won slide this year and dropped finals, but I honestly beleive UHS are the only 2's side that could have beat Bentleigh in finals.

Vegimite,

As I played 152 games and now umpired over 100, I think i am allowed to be on bigfooty.

esp to monitor the umpire bashing!!!!

You may struggle against St Mary's though.

That was 2 weeks ago. The house 2's may as well stay home. Sorry guys, House and Stmarys play for second. Dont rate either side nearly enough to beat Benteigh again.

Unfortunately for us we let games we should have won slide this year and dropped finals, but I honestly beleive UHS are the only 2's side that could have beat Bentleigh in finals.

Well Powerhouse and SMS are the only sides to have beaten them this year. And we line up against each other on Saturday for another crack. UHS lost to them twice... what could possible make you think that you guys are the only side capable of beating them....!! and at the end of the day you can make all the excuses in the world about loses, but you didn't deserve to be in the finals.

Well Powerhouse and SMS are the only sides to have beaten them this year. And we line up against each other on Saturday for another crack. UHS lost to them twice... what could possible make you think that you guys are the only side capable of beating them....!! and at the end of the day you can make all the excuses in the world about loses, but you didn't deserve to be in the finals.

Well it is good to see some logic.

NICCO - what have you been puffin' on since you finished your season a couple of weeks ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back