Not open for further replies.
Round 16 Tips

Progressive: 56/74

Monash Gryphons vs Mt Lilydale - MG by 3 goals
Manningham Cobras vs Chadstone - MC by 15+ goals
Point Cook vs North Brunswick - NB by 4 goals
Swinburne Uni vs Richmond Central - SU by 6 goals

Monash Gryphons vs Mt Lilydale - Monash by 35 points
Manningham Cobras vs Chadstone - Cobras by 97.
Point Cook vs North Brunswick - North Brunswick by 32.
Swinburne Uni vs Richmond Central - Swinburne by 15 points.

Round 15 Preview

Monash over Sth by 26 Pts (Won't be easy for the Gryphs but they will be too strong)
Nth Bruns over Box Hill Nth by 6 Pts (Real toss of the coin with the loser all but eliminated for the season)
Swinburne over Chadstone by 86 Pts (Enough said)
Rams over Dogs by 61 Pts (The mountain men will be far too strong)
Eley Park over Snakes by 16 Pts (Match of the round a virtual elimination final. Home ground advantage sways me. Expect some fireworks early).

Round 15 Review

4/5 (58/74 cumulative)

Clear winners from last weekend were the Sharks. They now have a stranglehold on fifth place and realistically will only drop one if they slip up against The Doggies in the final round. You have to admire the relentless attack on the ball carrier that Eley Park have shown all season and this is the kind of football that has seen them be competitive with the best and crush inferior opposition. The race for the finals is all but over and the Snakes only have themselves to blame. Full credit must also be extended to the Demons as they easily accounted Nth Brunswick at Elgar Park. My sources tell me the margin flattered the Green and Golds who may focus their attention on qualifying as many as possible for reserves finals. South Mornington are a good football side, but you can’t possibly envisage how they can challenge the top two come finals time. The Tigers now have to find a winning formula and aim to regain their place in third. Big wins to the Rams and Razorbacks were expected, but they had the line covered in both quite comfortably by half time. I must admit I thought Pt Cook would’ve been stronger this season, but they have had their moments and could still upset a potential finalist in the closing rounds.

Another four fixture round sees both fourth and fifth gain points without so much as lifting a finger which is somewhat disheartening for the poursuivants…

Round 16 Preview

Monash over Mt Lilydale by 32 Pts (Many may query my margin in the clash of the Div 4 heavyweights, but all the risk factors are evident for our undefeated Mountain Men. First, they are set to play at East Caulfield where the Gryphs rarely lose, second Monash were supposedly seething at dropping the fixture at Lilydale last month and thirdly the forecast is for strong north-westerly’s and this can only suit the home side on their tricky ground. Don’t get me wrong, I think these sides are very evenly matched and ensuing contests next month on neutral territory should be far closer, it’s just that the Gryphs will play smarter footy. Expect Lee Wells to turn back the clock and star as Monash grab top spot).
Manningham over Chaddy by 206 Pts (If Swinburne can beat the Synners by over 200 points then the Cobras should have no trouble bringing up a Cricket Score on their home patch. They currently hold a 2.8% lead over Sth Mornington that they will hope to extend. A big win here may result in closing the door on double chance for all pursuants).
Pt Cook over Nth Brunswick by 11 Pts (Going for the minor upset on the grounds that The Doggies probably see this as their last hope for some success in their debut season. Aaron Marsh is as good as anyone in the comp up forward and will ensure another mediocre season for the Green and Golds).
Razorbacks over Snakes by 25 Pts (Due to the vagaries of the draw, I do not expect either of these teams to play finals, however, they are clearly still in the mix mathematically and the winner will remain so. Have to lean towards the home side who have had mixed form throughout the season, but should do enough in front of their passionate home crowd to stay in the hunt).

Good luck to all

Quasi

Re: D4 2010

54/69 progressive.

South Mornington vs Monash Gryphons - 7 points.
Box Hill North vs North Brunswick - 14 points.
Chadstone vs Swinburne Uni - 84 points.
Mt Lilydale vs Point Cook - 46 points.
Eley Park vs Richmond Central - 28 points.

58/74 progressive.

No time for a review this week but here are my tips:

Monash Gryphons vs Mt Lilydale - 14 points.
Manningham Cobras vs Chadstone - 156 points.
Point Cook vs North Brunswick - 16 points.
Swinburne Uni vs Richmond Central - 8 points.

ELEY PARK
Click Player Names to view their Personal Statistics
Player Name G BST
Sam Thomas 1 5
Matthew Bourke 1 2
Justin Flower 1 2
David Bennett 1 1
Travis Houlden 1 1
Alastair Renshaw 1 1
Christopher Marsiglio 1 1
Trent Silvers 1 1
Damian Mccabe 1 1
Matthew Payne 1 0
Steven Bugeja 1 0
Damon Broadbear 1 0
Michael Viola 1 0
Michael Kertes 1 0
Timothy Miller 1 0
Jono Newmarch 1 0
Justin Nelson 1 0
Matthew Corstorphin 1 0
Leigh Jolly 1 0
Christopher Brown 1 0
Regan Davis 1 0
Michael Robinson 1 0

From the VAFA website. All Eley Park players apparently kicked a goal last week. Nice even spread too.

I think you'll find that all the results are like that. Obviously some sort of problem with the website at the moment.

Would have checked that if we didn't have the bye this weekend. Don't know what to do with my saturday. Will have to come up with some excuse to get away from the missus.

Come out to East Caulfield and watch the Gryphons v the Rams. Hopefully it will be an enthralling contest.....

I went for a looksee today and yep was a good game of Footy. Definite wind advantage and there was nothing in it at half time. Mt lilydale kicking with the wind in the last quarter but monash too good.

Thought #27 for lilydale tried hard all day. #2 for lilydale better infirst half than second. Lilydales backline very good - scoreline could have been a lot worse. #4 from monash best on ground IMO.

Going to be a cracker of a final on a neutral ground :thumbsu:

Going to be a cracker of a final on a neutral ground :thumbsu:[/quote]

i love this quote. if you've been around as long as i have - you'd know that finals throw up the funniest results. i look forward to reminding you of this when 1 of the 3 'other lesser teams' (insinuated by your good self and many others) dumps either Mon ash or lily dale out of the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

always been this way - i thought they got an unbelievable coach and all these recruits - what happened. i love pre-season talk. it seems i love many things. but i still struggle to love myself.

Their gun coach got recruited to collingwood for a full time position mid season I believe.

I went for a looksee today and yep was a good game of Footy. Definite wind advantage and there was nothing in it at half time. Mt lilydale kicking with the wind in the last quarter but monash too good.

Thought #27 for lilydale tried hard all day. #2 for lilydale better infirst half than second. Lilydales backline very good - scoreline could have been a lot worse. #4 from monash best on ground IMO.

It was a good contest and was great to finally play under a bit of sun on firm ground aswell! We started the final term firing kicking 3 goals 2 behinds and to the Gryphons credit they managed to slow it up chip it around to keep control of the tempo for the remainder. I along with the rest of the club hope to meet up again through the finals. Good rooms/facilitys at the ground also, but what kind of club doesnt give out some kind of awards for seniors and reserves. Tight Ass's!

i love this quote. if you've been around as long as i have - you'd know that finals throw up the funniest results. i look forward to reminding you of this when 1 of the 3 'other lesser teams' (insinuated by your good self and many others) dumps either Mon ash or lily dale out of the finals.[/quote]

I agree, it has long been shown to expect the unexpected through finals. Although there has to be flag 'favourites' and the teams mentioned no doubt deserve the title!

Nth Brunswick what a joke they are.
Reserves smash Point Cook by 100 and the seniors get rolled.
You are taking credit away from a very young Point Cook team who were exceptional on the day. The seconds effort was superb considering all the changes and to just get a side out on the ground, 9 senior players out injured or unavailable as well as players missing from seconds so ask yourself how would your team have gone ?.
Johnny boy don't deflect from your teams loss tell us how the game of the century unfolded and ask yourself why does the rest of the comp hate your club.

You are taking credit away from a very young Point Cook team who were exceptional on the day. The seconds effort was superb considering all the changes and to just get a side out on the ground, 9 senior players out injured or unavailable as well as players missing from seconds so ask yourself how would your team have gone ?.
Johnny boy don't deflect from your teams loss tell us how the game of the century unfolded and ask yourself why does the rest of the comp hate your club.
Vic come on the point cook seniors are a very ordinary side. For you guys to be more focussed on trying to win the reserves flag is an embarrassment for your club. Not trying to be a smart ar#e just stating the facts.
Our game was a cracker. Good contests all over the ground. We lost the ruck and hence the majority of clearances. But we get our number #1 ruckman back for the finals. The head to head score is 1-1. With 2 more to go. The gap between the top 2 sides and the rest of the comp is huge.
Monash look to have amazing depth. Id say their reserves side would make the finals in the senior comp.

Vic come on the point cook seniors are a very ordinary side. For you guys to be more focussed on trying to win the reserves flag is an embarrassment for your club. Not trying to be a smart ar#e just stating the facts.
Our game was a cracker. Good contests all over the ground. We lost the ruck and hence the majority of clearances. But we get our number #1 ruckman back for the finals. The head to head score is 1-1. With 2 more to go. The gap between the top 2 sides and the rest of the comp is huge.
Monash look to have amazing depth. Id say their reserves side would make the finals in the senior comp.
If you are just stating the facts name me anyone in the 2's that should be in the 1's. The only embarrassment is your research johnny boy, getting on a forum to slag opposition when you don't know the facts. Focus on your your own sh#t club and what you should be doing to get out of this section that you obviously think you are too good for.

Speaking of, can anybody shed some light on where the finals are likely to be played?

If you are just stating the facts name me anyone in the 2's that should be in the 1's. The only embarrassment is your research johnny boy, getting on a forum to slag opposition when you don't know the facts. Focus on your your own sh#t club and what you should be doing to get out of this section that you obviously think you are too good for.

I think Johnny might be a tad full of himself and his club. There's a point where taking pride in your club crosses over to plain old arrogance and you actually start making an rrrr's of yourself and pitting everyone against your club.

Our Club lost it's coach after 3 rounds and has been dessimated by injuries throughout the year. History shows that we have also always had a very strong seconds side. this has not been achieved by stacking the side. If you look at our list compared to the top sides, the number of first and second tier players is far less than those top sides, and that's not to say that we can't match it with the big guns (remember the scare that we gave you just a few weeks ago!!!). (we have a fairly even list after our top two tiers and that's what makes our 2's strong.

You may also be getting your ruckman back in time for the finals but you want to hope that you don't get a few injuries in the next couple of rounds as your depth (based on playing against the rabble in your seconds) isn't great and you may be found wanting come finals time.

Saying that, good luck to your Club in getting out of D4. You've definately been the second best team in the grade all year in the seniors (IMO).

I just hope that history doesn't repeat itself for you guys as the last time you played in a GF (and won) you went up a grade, got relegated the following year and bypassed D4 and went straight to Clubbies!!

Lastly, at the end of the season, there will only be two premier teams in Div 4. If the seniors is a foregone conclusion as you say, then what's wrong with our 2's being in a position to win it. Some success at a club is better than none and will no doubt help with recruiting for next season!

Was not at the game on Saturday but have been told that Pt. Cook had a few of their U/18's in who absolutely carved it up.

Pt. Cook may not be up to it just yet, but they've got a pretty big junior base so i wouldn't be surprised if they improve in the next couple of years.

Now that the top 2 positions are cemented will Monash and Mt Lilydale rest players leading up to finals?

Did Monash change match up on #2 in 2nd half? Win assures Monash of minor premierships in 1s and 2s (Bye this week and Chadstone last round).
Will be interesting to see how Mt Lilydale respond in next 2 weeks. They have 2 reasonably tough games in the lead up to finals.

Phil McGraw (the great doctor) says: "Sometimes you just got to give yourself what you wish someone else would give you." Unfortunately i cant give myself a blowie and these these sides cant gift themselves a premiership. Not going to be easy for any team. Especially the team that finishes second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back