News Dale Thomas plans to stay at Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

COLLINGWOOD star Dale Thomas hopes to remain a Magpie beyond next year.

Coach Nathan Buckley has predicted Thomas's contract negotiations could end up the same as the Travis Cloke circus, which haunted the club's finals campaign.
"Hopefully I can have a good year and stay where I am," said Thomas, who becomes a restricted free agent next year.

"The Collingwood Football Club has been fantastic to me. I signed a two-year deal a year ago and that was when the Greater Western Sydney franchise was coming in, but I was lucky enough to stay.

"A lot of my teammates have done the same thing, we have stayed as a group.
"For me it is about getting fit for the start of the year, having a good season personally and hopefully that results in the team having a great year.

"At the end of the season you never know what is going to happen, but hopefully I can stay where I am."

Daisy is saying the Right Thing and Saying IF we offer the Right Contract to Daisy he will be more than Happy to Sign.

But Hawks Fan showed that Clinton Young said a Very Simmlar thing an Article and then he left because he did not get the Offer he Wanted from the Hawks

Though I think the Pies will pay Daisy close to what is Fair

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...y-at-collingwood/story-e6frf9jf-1226517701907

He'll definitely be hoping for a better year from himself. If he continues this year's form into next year, there is no way he is worth the same as his previous contract. 2010 and 2011 were his career best years, set him up well for his 2 year contract. If he doesnt reach that kind of form again, i cant see collingwood offering him the same type of money, which I can see Thomas not being happy with.

But Hawks Fan showed that Clinton Young said a Very Simmlar thing an Article and then he left because he did not get the Offer he Wanted from the Hawks.
That's incomparable though. Firstly, Daisy said ages ago he wants the team to stay together and wants to be a one club player soon after he signed his last contract. Most importantly, Clinton Young wasn't offered the length of contract he desired from Hawthorn, and many felt he was just on the edge of their best team so he left. Daisy though will get the length of contract he wants and he isn't on the edge of our best team. He's closer to one of the first selected.

And so it begins. Analysing every little detail etc.

Hopefully it doesn't blow up into a big media circus again, but I also expect negotiations to be delayed. Daisy is a loyal man...but he'll also be interested in getting the best wage possible which is fair enough.

Agents know that a player like Thomas will demand interest and the longer negotiations hold off, the more offers will be received and it will put pressure on the Magpies to match.

I do however expect him to have a massive year next year.

Daisy seems to always find another level when it's contract time again.

He will have a pretty big year and be rewarded handsomely for it, especially as we will have some pretty big cap space available with the amount of older types i.e. Didak and Jolly also coming out of contract and with less stars off contract this year too.

Cloke said a similar thing (that he wanted to remain a Magpie) through the whole process, and some supporters still jumped on him...

Let's just wait for Daisy to have a couple of quiet games and see some people on this board saying he is disinterested and wants to go to Carlton (and that we should drop him unless his signs a contract tomorrow, etc etc).

I'm saying this from the outset so everyone can quote me later.

I want him to stay, but if he wants to go, then go. Collingwood will be fine without him.

The Club comes before any player. Now with free agency, we will have NO issue replacing big name players with other big name players. Our players will now be aware of this, especially now that the 2 key players in Pendles and Cloke are locked in.

Everyone else doesn't have anywhere NEAR the bargaining power these two had, and are far easier to replace.

Hopefully it doesn't blow up into a big media circus again, but I also expect negotiations to be delayed. Daisy is a loyal man...but he'll also be interested in getting the best wage possible which is fair enough.
I actually think it's a minority of AFL players that are interested in the best wage possible. That's the reason why most players don't change clubs. If a player is happy where they are, then they aren't going to leave for more money. They must want to leave first, and that's when the pay becomes relevant.

Daisy is saying the Right Thing and Saying IF we offer the Right Contract to Daisy he will be more than Happy to Sign.

But Hawks Fan showed that Clinton Young said a Very Simmlar thing an Article and then he left because he did not get the Offer he Wanted from the Hawks

Though I think the Pies will pay Daisy close to what is Fair

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...y-at-collingwood/story-e6frf9jf-1226517701907
With regards to Young, I met a very good friend of his at the races and he said that the offer Hawthorn put to Young was rankly offensive. I don't think we will be kicking Thomas in the nuts like that.

That's incomparable though. Firstly, Daisy said ages ago he wants the team to stay together and wants to be a one club player soon after he signed his last contract. Most importantly, Clinton Young wasn't offered the length of contract he desired from Hawthorn, and many felt he was just on the edge of their best team so he left. Daisy though will get the length of contract he wants and he isn't on the edge of our best team. He's closer to one of the first selected.
Where have you been?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With regards to Young, I met a very good friend of his at the races and he said that the offer Hawthorn put to Young was rankly offensive. I don't think we will be kicking Thomas in the nuts like that.

Yeah I don't see the Offer we would put to Daisy be way Below what it sounds like it was from Hawks to Young

Daisy seems to always find another level when it's contract time again.

He will have a pretty big year and be rewarded handsomely for it, especially as we will have some pretty big cap space available with the amount of older types i.e. Didak and Jolly also coming out of contract and with less stars off contract this year too.

Can he find this level every year?

1 year deals?

Well...I hope we can put an attractive offer on the table for Daisy. What are the chances of us putting an offer to him over the next few months and him signing? I just don't want it to drag out and act as a distraction during the season like it did with Cloke.

Well...I hope we can put an attractive offer on the table for Daisy. What are the chances of us putting an offer to him over the next few months and him signing? I just don't want it to drag out and act as a distraction during the season like it did with Cloke.

Thomas probably won't sign with us until the end of the season, he plays his best footy when his contract is up for renewal which is why he likes 2 year contracts. Signing now would defeat the whole purpose of it.

Sadly we will have to hear about this shit the whole season i reckon

I suspect not.

The funny thing is that will probably happen next year when Daisy kicks a goal. Daisy should sign up asap otherwise he will be scrutinised for everything he does on field. I don't want this to happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Dale Thomas plans to stay at Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back