List Mgmt. Dan Hannebery - 5 year deal & Pick 28 to St.Kilda for Pick 39 & 2019 2nd Round Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...h/news-story/ca2e0e36bf549ff04f88cb8b031d685f

We need to play the long game here. Eventually, Sydney will have to fold if they want the space to land someone like Gaff or Shiel. Offer to pay the entirety of his salary but keep the draft pick low (if next year's 2nd must be sacrificed then find a way to get back into this year's second - Sydney currently have two picks in the 30s).

People have suggested he's on two strikes???

To be fair, I'm probably the person who made that shit up. Don't take it seriously, it's the rantings of a pessimistic mad man. He's had a reputation for partying in the past but he's so old and broken down now he's more likely to overdose on laxatives.

Not suggesting Hanners has any strikes, but it's an interesting point - if a player is looking for a trade, would a club normally ask if they have a strike(s)? Would just seem like normal due diligence to me.

Barlett is very vocal on this, he reckons it's unfair that teams can draft a player and have absolutely no idea that they are on their final strike.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi guys, my father is a saints supporter so im always hoping saints do well. I find a lot of this very interesting because the swans cannot wait to get him off their books, you are doing a massive favour freeing up salary cap space for them. You've got posters coming on here begging to get the deal done, the entire swans board wanting this done and Tom Harley coming out grinning like a cheshire cat at the thought of getting rid of him. Dont want to pour cold water on your hopes but i would be very wary especially at the reported 5 years 4 mil mark. Honestly wouldn't risk over 3 years and i wouldn't be trading a pick inside the top 25.

my view as well

I don't think it will be as simple as Hannebery for pick 25 or whatever. With the currency each club currently has it'd either be an exchange of multiple picks, or potentially player + picks. There could also be other trades take place first which change the available options and make it clearer.

From what I've heard, Sydney are happy to keep Hannebery - that was their preference. The club believes he'll get back to full fitness after a rest and full pre-season, and they're not super keen on trading him at his lowest value but happy to explore the options as per Hannebery's request.

they may be happy to keep him, the TPP might not allow that to happen though ;-)

It seems that way

We've been saying that for 3 years now and he's shown no improvement. Jack Steele has gone mile past him.

Hawthorn traded Josh K after three years, look at him now. Then again it's probably the best move for him to play in a better team, with a decent coach. I like him.

Hawthorn traded Josh K after three years, look at him now. Then again it's probably the best move for him to play in a better team, with a decent coach. I like him.
Next year will be Luke Dunstan's 6th season and he still can't cement his spot in a bottom 3 side.

Josh Kennedy was playing good footy in a top 8 side by that stage.

At the moment there's no issue there. Unless we want to do something silly like this:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...h/news-story/ca2e0e36bf549ff04f88cb8b031d685f

AT THE MOMENT

reports are franklins deal was backended and gets higher the longer it goes on

you do not know if hanneberry was back ended

so whilst the tpp might be fine now, it might not be the case next year, especially if they are committed to bringing in new players or retaining some of what they already have

AT THE MOMENT

reports are franklins deal was backended and gets higher the longer it goes on

you do not know if hanneberry was back ended

so whilst the tpp might be fine now, it might not be the case next year, especially if they are committed to bringing in new players or retaining some of what they already have
That's literally what I just said..

That's literally what I just said..

well no, my original comment was that sydney have said theyre happy to keep him, my response to that was the TPP may not allow that happen. your response to that was there was no issue AT THE MOMENT.

so i explained how the TPP situation AT THE MOMENT is not the issue, its next year and the year after.

sydney may not have a choice but to trade him, even if they dont plan on recruiting anyone.

well no, my original comment was that sydney have said theyre happy to keep him, my response to that was the TPP may not allow that happen. your response to that was there was no issue AT THE MOMENT.

so i explained how the TPP situation AT THE MOMENT is not the issue, its next year and the year after.

sydney may not have a choice but to trade him, even if they dont plan on recruiting anyone.

All indications that I’ve heard suggest TPP is no issue, now or in the immediate future. With Tippett leaving the books there is enough to cover a few extra increases, then it just a decision of whether to trade out so they can get others in, etc.

Considering what a basketcase we are atm, i can't help questioning why he wants to come to us. It's like you're a rich dude and your not sure if the hot chick wants you just for your money or cos she might actually think you're alright. Oh the life of a saints supporter, eternal pessimist and cynic. :think:o_O:p

I think it was posted on BF somewhere a while back that Lethlean & Hannerberys dad were old footy mates. So who knows whether that made the difference.

Putting the trade value part aside for a minute, I think Hannebery will be a fantastic recruit for you guys.

Read social media and you'll see the same thing over and over: "Hannebery's cooked".. it's rubbish. A pathetic analysis from those who focus on the stats columns rather than actually analyzing a player's performance.

Hanners had his knee taken out in the 2016 GF and subsequent osteitis pubis which plagued his 2017 season and meant he missed the entire pre-season this year. 2018 has basically been a write off as no pre-season led to groin and calf injuries. Due to the Swans heavy injury toll Hannebery was rushed back a couple of times which did him no favours. When he came back towards the end of the season his movement was clearly better (though he copped a corked thigh early in the Hawks game which limited his output there). He was one of the Swans best in our otherwise putrid elimination final performance.

Hannebery is typically the bench mark for fitness at the Swans. He wins the time trials every year and is known for his training standards. He will bring a level of leadership which is needed to help Saints group of promising young stars fulfill their potential. Adding promising 18 year olds via the draft excites people because of the possibility they could become A grade stars. Assuming Hannebery regains full fitness he is exactly that, and already a known quantity. On top of that, he is hard as nails. Although he's built to be an outside runner, the Sydney game plan basically forced him to play much of his time as an inside mid. He will cop an absolute beating and continue giving 100%. Sydney's preference was definitely to keep Hanners.

St Kilda and Sydney will likely work out an amicable trade. Saints fans will complain it's too much, Swans fans will complain it's not enough - that's the nature of fans. My personal opinion is that this might be a trade Sydney come to regret, though we can't begrudge Hannebery looking for a change of scenery after all he's done for the club.
Thanks for the perspective.

I think you have nailed why the Saints chased him.

A deal is always worked out between Saints and Sydney, seems a good trading relationship.

Sydney are looking long term, need the cap space. May regret the trade but think it will be mutually beneficial.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back