List Mgmt. Dan Hannebery - 5 year deal & Pick 28 to St.Kilda for Pick 39 & 2019 2nd Round Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All indications that I’ve heard suggest TPP is no issue, now or in the immediate future. With Tippett leaving the books there is enough to cover a few extra increases, then it just a decision of whether to trade out so they can get others in, etc.

as far as i am aware of they are still paying off his salary, like i said i think the issue here is the back ended payments and they need to re-align the list:
Sydney could have limited Tippett’s retirement damage to this year alone but his financial settlement is understood to be way beyond their 2018 total player payments limit, meaning his exit figure will probably have to be extended into the club’s 2019 salary cap, which could lead to him becoming automatically retained on Sydney’s list.

The Swans will not publicly reveal Tippett’s negotiated payout — believed to be a confidential $1 million-plus settlement, but much less than his contract was worth — however it is understood he will not have to remain a listed player for a third straight year, in 2020.

as far as i am aware of they are still paying off his salary, like i said i think the issue here is the back ended payments and they need to re-align the list:
Sydney could have limited Tippett’s retirement damage to this year alone but his financial settlement is understood to be way beyond their 2018 total player payments limit, meaning his exit figure will probably have to be extended into the club’s 2019 salary cap, which could lead to him becoming automatically retained on Sydney’s list.

The Swans will not publicly reveal Tippett’s negotiated payout — believed to be a confidential $1 million-plus settlement, but much less than his contract was worth — however it is understood he will not have to remain a listed player for a third straight year, in 2020.

Word is we’ll pay about $100k for Tippett next year.

yeah so the question is how do you manage to move that much money forward as part of your list strategy, thats literally >1m closer to 2m. maybe that explains why so many are under pressure now and are leaving. the pressure might be on this moment moving forward and offloading the higher paid players when their money has been moved back might make sense from a list management and tpp perspective

so the idea that hannerberry can stay might not be correct. it might be the usual trade scenario bluffing

yeah so the question is how do you manage to move that much money forward as part of your list strategy, thats literally >1m closer to 2m. maybe that explains why so many are under pressure now and are leaving. the pressure might be on this moment moving forward and offloading the higher paid players when their money has been moved back might make sense from a list management and tpp perspective

so the idea that hannerberry can stay might not be correct. it might be the usual trade scenario bluffing

$100,000 only, for one more year only. The rest of Tippetts payout was absorbed in this years cap.

Keeping in mind we’d allocated somewhere in the ball park of $750k for Tippett over each of the next two years, it actually means we’ve potentially got some money to play with next year.

$100,000 only, for one more year only. The rest of Tippetts payout was absorbed in this years cap.

Keeping in mind we’d allocated somewhere in the ball park of $750k for Tippett over each of the next two years, it actually means we’ve potentially got some money to play with next year.

thats my point!

if you had to pay him out 750k x 3 (so 2018, 2019, 2020) and now you have only got 100k to go, it means you've overpaid him this year by 2.15 million! remember his retirement wasn't planned, so how does a club close to the cap, that has shed players in the past because of it, suddenly find them selves room with 2.15 million in cap space in their current season, on the hop!

that tells me they moved their payments back for some of the existing group. brought the payments for tippett forward. which means 2019 TPP has a bunch of pressure on it.

that is why players are leaving without any attempt by sydney to retain them, because their current and projected output does not meet their salary, so once you factor in they got underpaid this year and will be paid even more next year, it makes sense to move that on. make another club pay inflated prices for them. whilst you banked the savings.

so the idea that sydney can sit there going "well we dont have to move him on" feels like a massive bluff. i think they will because of the TPP is full and projected to go over AND i think they are not forecasting his form to return to a level that justifies the money he will be on. same with rohan.

so if they cannot possibly take him on into next year they face the very real possibility of their bluff blowing up. if the saints turn around and say no deal. sydney can't just let it go on. they can't delist hanners to free up the cap, because then they have to pay him out and have it counted in the cap.

EDIT: overpaid by 1.4m

Last edited:
Trade flog says McCartin could be shopped to Sydney? Paddy for Hanners and Sydney's second, get it done.
From what was PM,ed to me a few days ago, this is unlikely.

Matress Guts Will be persisted with.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

thats my point!

if you had to pay him out 750k x 3 (so 2018, 2019, 2020) and now you have only got 100k to go, it means you've overpaid him this year by 2.15 million! remember his retirement wasn't planned, so how does a club close to the cap, that has shed players in the past because of it, suddenly find them selves room with 2.15 million in cap space in their current season, on the hop!

that tells me they moved their payments back for some of the existing group. brought the payments for tippett forward. which means 2019 TPP has a bunch of pressure on it.

that is why players are leaving without any attempt by sydney to retain them, because their current and projected output does not meet their salary, so once you factor in they got underpaid this year and will be paid even more next year, it makes sense to move that on. make another club pay inflated prices for them. whilst you banked the savings.

so the idea that sydney can sit there going "well we dont have to move him on" feels like a massive bluff. i think they will because of the TPP is full and projected to go over AND i think they are not forecasting his form to return to a level that justifies the money he will be on. same with rohan.

so if they cannot possibly take him on into next year they face the very real possibility of their bluff blowing up. if the saints turn around and say no deal. sydney can't just let it go on. they can't delist hanners to free up the cap, because then they have to pay him out and have it counted in the cap.

EDIT: overpaid by 1.4m

No, we didn’t have to pay him the full 3 years salary. We only have to pay an agreed settlement amount.

I’ve posted about my thoughts on Hannebery getting back to full fitness already. It’s a trade the Swans will regret eventually.

I feel like Sydney are up to something too, they always seem to have something up their sleeve when these sorts of things happen.

Anyways even though I don't really want him, I prefer him to Menzel TBH.
Hopefully hanners doesn't cost us pick 4, cuz I will spew and will have to write a angry email to the club, that prob wont get looked at anyways, but might make me feel bettera hahaha

If we give up pick 4 this will put us back AT LEAST 5 years again, AT LEAST

Pretty much my sentiments, if it's out of those two go Hanners every time as at least his is a consistent sort instead of Dan 60 odd games in 7 years with 4 recos. Bionic man or GTFO and stay out.

Just wanted to say a big thank you for coming on here and clarifying the Swans TPP situation and other stuff. Bigfooty is better for having people on here like you happily posting stuff only a handful at each club are across.

From what was PM,ed to me a few days ago, this is unlikely.

Matress Guts Will be persisted with.

I'm hearing they are right into him.

With Hanners leaving, they need a player to occupy the rehab room on a regular basis. We might have to throw in Freeman to sweeten the deal.

No, we didn’t have to pay him the full 3 years salary. We only have to pay an agreed settlement amount.

I’ve posted about my thoughts on Hannebery getting back to full fitness already. It’s a trade the Swans will regret eventually.

yeah thats my point, the 750k p.a. for the next two years you mentioned, so i low balled the current year to 750k as well, unless you are stating that this years payments were higher than 750k and closer to 1m he was on prior to the settlement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trade flog says McCartin could be shopped to Sydney? Paddy for Hanners and Sydney's second, get it done.

Edit: This presupposes we take on Hannebery's full salary.

paddy for hanners and a later pick would be closer if paddy is going into the deal. as soon as paddy enters the equation you start taking away from the 2nd rounder he would normally cost.

hell straight swap would be closer.

yeah thats my point, the 750k p.a. for the next two years you mentioned, so i low balled the current year to 750k as well, unless you are stating that this years payments were higher than 750k and closer to 1m he was on prior to the settlement.
Sorry I'm not really following you at all any more. For all we know the entire settlement could have been $500k or $800k or $1.5mil.. all we've heard is that there's about $100k that Sydney had to carry to 2019. We could hypothesize any number of scenarios from that, but to me it suggests Sydney aren't in urgent need of a cap dump considering the original budget would have been for Tippett to be paid his full salary for the next two years.

Just wanted to say a big thank you for coming on here and clarifying the Swans TPP situation and other stuff. Bigfooty is better for having people on here like you happily posting stuff only a handful at each club are across.
Your sarcasm is both noted and appreciated.

Thanks for the perspective.

I think you have nailed why the Saints chased him.

A deal is always worked out between Saints and Sydney, seems a good trading relationship.

Sydney are looking long term, need the cap space. May regret the trade but think it will be mutually beneficial.

Get it right Swans offered us Hannebery to relieve their salary cap problems and they new he is cooked and they have a huge salary on his head and he is not worth it. Fact. Why is every football commentator and journo all questioning Stkilda chasing Hanners as insane including Paul Roos who all watch footy every week and r better qualified to comment more than us. 17 other clubs don't want Hanners the alarm bells should be sounding loud and clear. Sydney r trying to screw us over but because Leathlean is a personal friend he is looking after him. Hanners adds another slow mid to our list that can't play another position. Look at North they needed pace like us and they will end up with Gaff for nothing and Polec for pick 11 that is getting the job done. This is why we will struggle we have no idea. We don't have to buckle to the Swans as he comes to us or stays and the Swans don't want him that is clear. Remember we can't get players back to their best just remember Freeman who was lightning fast and Jessie Smith neither could run any more.

Sorry I'm not really following you at all any more. For all we know the entire settlement could have been $500k or $800k or $1.5mil.. all we've heard is that there's about $100k that Sydney had to carry to 2019. We could hypothesize any number of scenarios from that, but to me it suggests Sydney aren't in urgent need of a cap dump considering the original budget would have been for Tippett to be paid his full salary for the next two years.

then why did you state this: "Keeping in mind we’d allocated somewhere in the ball park of $750k for Tippett over each of the next two years"

i would suggest offloading hanneberry and rohan, with rumours newman and lloyd will exit as well, tells me you are in need of an urgent cap dump! btw you aren't into Gaff, so its not that!

why would you off-load 4 required senior players when you were well and truly in the 8?

Get it right Swans offered us Hannebery to relieve their salary cap problems and they new he is cooked and they have a huge salary on his head and he is not worth it. Fact. Why is every football commentator and journo all questioning Stkilda chasing Hanners as insane including Paul Roos who all watch footy every week and r better qualified to comment more than us. 17 other clubs don't want Hanners the alarm bells should be sounding loud and clear. Sydney r trying to screw us over but because Leathlean is a personal friend he is looking after him. Hanners adds another slow mid to our list that can't play another position. Look at North they needed pace like us and they will end up with Gaff for nothing and Polec for pick 11 that is getting the job done. This is why we will struggle we have no idea. We don't have to buckle to the Swans as he comes to us or stays and the Swans don't want him that is clear. Remember we can't get players back to their best just remember Freeman who was lightning fast and Jessie Smith neither could run any more.
The problem is if you are a gun player with no injury concerns, would you consider joining us or north melbourne? even if we offer more money the answer would be a flat no. So we can't attract Gaff or Polec, should we just give up; draft a 18 year old at pick 4 and wish for the best in 3-4 years time? Even if we can pick up a Judd at 18, based on how poor our midfield is, it will make not much difference. So we need to add multiple options in the midfield. The fact that we're taking calculated risk on a 3 time all australian is encouraging at least. By the way Freeman and Jessie Smith were much bigger risks than Hannerbury, Freeman/Jessie were unknown quantities; they both already had long term serious injuries and hardly played, Hannerbury has played last year and this year without doing a pre-season, albeit not at the same level as before. At the end of the day, what are we giving up? a second round pick at most (same than freeman's trade) and 800k, if he can get a pre-season in next year, I reckon he'll be better than Steven/Ross and become our best player.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back