Confirmed Dan Houston - Joins Collingwood as part of 3-way trade with Port and GC

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We both know Rioli ain’t worth what Gold Coast are shelling out for him. One bad trade doesn’t set the price for all other trades, otherwise the Dogs should be getting three top ten picks for Smith who’s a hell of a lot more valuable than Rioli. No team could afford him or Houston if the Rioli trade somehow sets trade values for the year.

Doubt Port spend a week at the negotiating table with the Pies knowing full well the assets at our disposal if they don’t see a way to get an acceptable deal done. It simply wouldn’t have got this far along if it wasn’t in the ballpark.

The difference between the two can’t be as wide as the Atlantic Ocean…one is getting a mid teens pick plus a bloke that barely gets a game in Richards…the other is getting a top 10 pick and a top 30 pick. They are miles apart. I agree not every trade is the same but they are the same position except one is younger and better. Value has to be close to the Rioli deal.

How long do you think it will be until North is a serious contender? I have them as 3 - 4 years (not saying they will be bottom 4 for the next 4 years but I think they float around 6th - 14th range). Houston is 28 at the start of next season. If North don't start making top for for another 3 - 4 years, you are looking at a 31 - 32 year old player. At this point he may be getting forced out of the side for whoever North pick up over the next 3 years of getting good draft picks as well as players they are developing now.

Honestly, Houston isn't a good fit for North for either the club or himself imo. He would be better suited at Carlton or Collingwood, because both teams would love the edge he will give them in getting into the top 4, and also suiting him personally as he can use his final contract to play finals while he is still fit and in his prime.

Saying that Collingwood will be bottom 4 in 4 years, even if true.. Houston will be 32 years old in this time and gearing up for retirement one would presume.

If he was 25/26 at the start of next season I'd say he COULD be a good fit for North, but the fact that he will be 28.. imo is just over that point of not being in his prime when North are up there.
The problem is you’ve offered a 6 year deal.

In all honesty your premiership window if you do bring him in is 2025.

He’s be great for us - just not a big enough need to value him that high.

Noble equals a pick in the 20s, Richards a pick in the mid-late 30s and we're also giving up our pick 36 and F1

Compare that to Melbourne's F1, 28, 40, 46, 54 and 65 for Pick 9 and F3 from Essendon and we've paid more than the cost of a top 10 pick this year.

We've come to the table.
****ing lol

Port just need to have a spine.

The Pies don’t have the trade capital so Port should be telling them they are out.

They should tell Dan it is North or you’re coming back to us. It isn’t that complex, Port just need to grow a pair.

He ain’t going to North, people should stop talking like that’s an option.

Noble equals a pick in the 20s, Richards a pick in the mid-late 30s and we're also giving up our pick 36 and F1

Compare that to Melbourne's F1, 28, 40, 46, 54 and 65 for Pick 9 and F3 from Essendon and we've paid more than the cost of a top 10 pick this year.

We've come to the table.

Two average players don't make up for one good one.

Getting told North is the only option will really test how much he wants to get back to Victoria.

odds to stay at Port increasing.

Getting told North is the only option will really test how much he wants to get back to Victoria.

odds to stay at Port increasing.

I still think as time goes by he is more likely to accept North as the other options dry up.

For a whole lot of reasons getting to a contender in Victoria was always going to be hard. They don't have the draft capital that Port want and as good a player as he is clubs want to be part of thus years draft.

OK, so look at Carlton ( I know you love to);

Across 23/24/25 - we had/have the opportunity to bring in 6 father sun/academy players & 4 first round draft pics (as it stands now, trying to trade up our first rounder this year).

This year is the strongest/deepest draft in decades.

Our strategy is to invest in this draft - next year, another year you have no first draft pick, there’s a HUGE group of free agents available.

Collingwood won’t feature in the draft or have the assets to bring another free agent next year.

Several of your most important players will retire & then what?

Tassie start eating all the early draft pics across 3 years!

Houston is a great player - but will he win you the premiership next year?

If he doesn’t - is this sugar hit worth it?
This makes no sense.
You just sound like a kid who's dad told him to hate Collingwood.

And what would that F1 be worth if they tried to trade it into this year's draft which Port want to be part of?

Would have easily got WCE's pick this year or at worst a top 6-7 pick at worst, it's way more than the junk picks the Pies are trying to attach. Pick 13 isn't near enough, Rioli is going pick 6 for goodness sakes, somewhere in between the two is a starting point.

Use the Chad Wingard deal to Port before you say "it's all we have". Trade someone for a first if you want Houston.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood have shit the bed if this falls through for them.

I reckon the opposite. They've offered everything they can, that they are somehow still in the picture is a testament to their powers of persuasion because it's so clearly insufficient

They shit the bed by overpaying for Schultz though

You can’t say the deal fell over when it never had the strength to stand up. 13 in / F1 out means we don’t even net 1x first round pick in the deal. I mean, come on.

Pretty keen to keep Houston to be honest. Luko can be bought fairly in a separate deal and I couldn’t care less if we get Richards.
Cap might be an issue.

We've come to the table.

Noble is at best a bottom 6 player in your team and with a full, healthy list, is probably more fringe than anything else. He is worth something in the 30's +

I reckon the opposite. They've offered everything they can, that they are somehow still in the picture is a testament to their powers of persuasion because it's so clearly insufficient

They shit the bed by overpaying for Schultz though

They have not offered everything they can. Point me to the rule where it says the Pies CAN'T trade out a player for a high selection? They can they just want the whole cake and not give anything. Them thinking trading Richards who doesn't get a game most weeks or Noble who is in and out of a side makes it any better...oh they traded their f1...in a terribly worse draft next yeay that would be 15+ anyway

Noble is at best a bottom 6 player in your team and with a full, healthy list, is probably more fringe than anything else. He is worth something in the 30's +

This and Richards is worth a late throwaway selection 50+

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Dan Houston - Joins Collingwood as part of 3-way trade with Port and GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back