Confirmed Dan Houston - Joins Collingwood as part of 3-way trade with Port and GC

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Houston, Perryman and even Schultz have cost us anything in the short term and very little in the long term.
They are 3 good to elite players in the 25-27 age bracket that cost us #10, #36 last years #34, next years F1st, J Noble and J Richards.

Statistically those 4 picks would usually add up to 2 solid players and 2 list cloggers.
You could even argue that our F1st had a very good chance to be completely eaten by T McGuane.

So I would say we exchanged
Houston, Schultz, Perryman and McGuane

For

Noble, Richards, Good player 1 (200 games), Good player 2 (150 games) and 2 list cloggers (0-70 games). There's obviously speculation on these picks but in those sort of draft ranges it's a real 50/50 chance of drafting a viable long term player.

I see Collingwood coming out ahead over the next 1 to 5 years by doing the trades and with a lot of older players on our list, it was the right call even though there is a good chance of no premierships over the next 10 years because of it.

Long term I don't see us doing to much better even if we kept the picks. Our young players in the age range of 21 and under are very speculative at best. I see us continuing to target free agents and trade targets more than draft picks. It is a strategy that has kept us top 4 very often over the last 25 years.

I don't think Houston, Perryman and even Schultz have cost us anything in the short term and very little in the long term.
They are 3 good to elite players in the 25-27 age bracket that cost us #10, #36 last years #34, next years F1st, J Noble and J Richards.

Statistically those 4 picks would usually add up to 2 solid players and 2 list cloggers.
You could even argue that our F1st had a very good chance to be completely eaten by T McGuane.

So I would say we exchanged
Houston, Schultz, Perryman and McGuane

For

Noble, Richards, Good player 1 (200 games), Good player 2 (150 games) and 2 list cloggers (0-70 games). There's obviously speculation on these picks but in those sort of draft ranges it's a real 50/50 chance of drafting a viable long term player.

I see Collingwood coming out ahead over the next 1 to 5 years by doing the trades and with a lot of older players on our list, it was the right call even though there is a good chance of no premierships over the next 10 years because of it.

Long term I don't see us doing to much better even if we kept the picks. Our young players in the age range of 21 and under are very speculative at best. I see us continuing to target free agents and trade targets more than draft picks. It is a strategy that has kept us top 4 very often over the last 25 years.
Forgot that Ginnavin left when Schultz was traded in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Dan Houston - Joins Collingwood as part of 3-way trade with Port and GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back