List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade to Victoria - will stay if deal can't be done

Remove this Banner Ad

We’re giving up a star of the competition, who is still under contract, for…

1x Unrealised potential
1x Mature aged nobody
1x 2nd rounder
1x 3rd rounder
1x Expensive punchline

I can’t make sense of it.
You are incorrect l, he is a player that Collingwood will make a star!

I understand why they traded it last year - because they legitimately believed Ratugolea would be the answer to their fullback issue (freeing up Aliir in the process) whilst also delivering them a #1 ruck. It obviously hasn't turned out that way, but I don't necessarily think those deals last year were horrendous given the circumstances at the time.
They were absolutely horrendous. Sack the list manager type deals.

If Cripps goes through with this trade he should be overruled by the board and sacked.

Port see 13 as far more valuable than next year's 1st round pick.

I'll wait to see what the final product looks like, but on the surface it looks underwhelming.

Depends on what that F1 pick is.

There are plenty of teams nipping at our heels. It was a very even season with Melbourne only 2 games out of the finals down in 14th. It won’t look good with a surrendered Pick 5 thrown into the equation.

I understand why they traded it last year - because they legitimately believed Ratugolea would be the answer to their fullback issue (freeing up Aliir in the process) whilst also delivering them a #1 ruck. It obviously hasn't turned out that way, but I don't necessarily think those deals last year were horrendous given the circumstances at the time.
How is this an excuse? Isn't it their job to correctly identify the players who will actually solve our problems and not trade out first round picks for players who turn out to be duds, only to MASSIVELY overpay to get a first round pick in the same draft the next year?

This is a sack everyone involved tier level failure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah blind Freddy could see that giving up our future first for Rats and Soldo was a bad move. Was widely criticised at the time of the trade.

Take out all of the players and picks that don't mean anything and essentially it's Houston and our future 1st for Lukosius and pick 13. It's a bad deal.
Come in peace , Port have not received fair or equitable compensation here for losing a 2 X AA. Heck , Freo gotta a better deal from the Pies for a solid player in Schultz. We paid overs there , albeit that was with Wright doing the dealing. When it comes to dealing all clubs should feel like they have come out winners.

People on this board were incredibly vocal about not wanting to trade our future 1st for Ratugolea and Soldo last year. A lot of us did NOT WANT Ratugolea and thought it was dumb we were letting Geelong absolutely destroy another team, this time us, in a trade like they always do. We were also happy getting JUST Sweet and no Soldo, because our record with Hayes is 9 wins, 2 losses so we could have just given him another year to see if Sweet could lead us and still have three rucks plus Finlayson. The trade last year was absolutely AWFUL. We hated it then and we hate it even more now.

Because now it's made us get destroyed in a trade again to try and get BACK into the draft we traded out of for miserable returns last year.

HOUSTON IS CONTRACTED. RIOLI IS ABOUT TO GET PICK 6 and 23.

People should have to fall on their swords for this debacle if it goes through. It's ridiculously unacceptable list management.

So Dan Houston doesn't want to play for Norf.

Guess what, who gives a rats arse. You're contracted - you have no say in this mate. You want to get to Melbourne, you deal with whoever gets us the best deal.

F*** dealing with collingwood. This sets a terrible precedent.

I don't think we should trade the F1, i dont understand the reason for doing so.

But it's obvious that every team is rating the draft picks this year much higher then next year. I only say this for context, not that I like this trade.

If the F1 was off the table it is palatable though

Last edited:
Also giving Houston to a premiership contender for this deal is laughable, good luck with winning the Grand final Hinkley. Collingwood have Houston and you’re stuck with Ratkins and an 18 year old you picked at like pick 15
But our team will be even younger!

My main issues I have with what happened last year are:

1 Geelong seemed to think they were happy with screwing us but at no stage did we publicly say that Rat could go to the PSD which is what we should have leveraged to get a better deal.
2 Aliir appeared to be playing full back in many games and Rat the intercept defender which I wouldn't have thought would have been the plan.
3 You didn't have to be Einstein to realise that Rat and BZT were not going to move the needle significantly

Far too many risks and if this is the deal that we end up with like I think its going to be, we have been screwed 2 years in a row. I would much sooner see Houston having to suck it up and have another go next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade to Victoria - will stay if deal can't be done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back