Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

So basically you better off with picks in the teens then pick 2. I kind of feel Richmond would pay a bit to get pick 2 this year in that sense so a easy split can occur there. If you can turn pick 2 + 22 into 3 picks in the teens and 1 in the late 30s then flick off 2 teens picks for Houston and use one on Trainor, that would work

It may also be worth using F1st to Gold Coast for pick 12 + extras
Yeah, tho to clarify my earlier post... If I was Brady Rawlings, getting a high-end KPF and an elite small forward would probably be my two non-negotiables out of this draft.

Getting Houston... or Trainor... would be great, but lesser priorities.

I think it will still get done.

Port are posturing for the best deal possible (as they should).

I don't think they will take North's F1 as it stands.. Since they could just retain dan for a year and see what that pick will be end up being and then offload him next year

I don't think they will take North's F1 as it stands.. Since they could just retain dan for a year and see what that pick will be end up being and then offload him next year

Especially with clubs able to trade picks two years in advance then

Bit of an odd threat given North already have their F1 on the table, which is more than fair.

What a carry on. They should just say they've changed their minds and they're not going to release him.

Port have always said it was either, two first rounders or, one low first rounder and steak knives where the Dees were the only club that agreed (so far)

The problem with that logic is that with an extra year under his belt it is unlikely that a high end first round pick will be offered. Remember a current first rounder is always worth a lot more than a future first rounder. That will still be the case next year.

Not sure why North would be chasing Houston TBH. I think they should be going after Ed Richards he is 2 years younger than Houston can play both Mid/Def and is a RFA in 2025. I would be throwing Pick 3 for him and seeing what happens.

Not sure why North would be chasing Houston TBH. I think they should be going after Ed Richards he is 2 years younger than Houston can play both Mid/Def and is a RFA in 2025. I would be throwing Pick 3 for him and seeing what happens.

Why would Richards agree to that trade though?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem with a future pick is that you lose Dan and gain nothing in the immediate term
You do realise that if you do the deal early enough you could trade that future pick for something else, right?

EnhU0N8WEAEbaSQ.jpg

I think he either stays or goes to North. Even with other clubs involved I don't think any of the other Victoria clubs want to part with the draft capital Port are asking.

Ultimatley I think he will end up North, there must be a lot of cap space so enough money should be able to get him over the line. North can table their future pick and get a 3rd club involved.

Houston is at peak value right now, Port want to get back into the first round this year and want to get the Lukosius deal done. Not all reliant on Houston but helps.

One thing we can do away is claiming clubs have the whip hand when a player is in contract. The player always holds all the cards. It just depends how hard they are willing to push it.

He'll get their for the future first and pick 22, which they'll use for lukiscious. They'll try switch their future first for a top 10 pick and grab Draper. So they'll end up with Luko and Draper for Houston
Draper would be going at Adelaide's pick. So if they want him they would have to get North's pick.

I don’t think he is a need for Carlton, bigger priorities & issues in other positions.

What interests me in this is the AFL & how if Port decline either a single first round pick from Carlton, Melbourne, North or whoever, then with the 2 first round picks in 4 years rule & port then being forced to chase the AFL to give them an exception to get Lukosius out of GC. The AFL should knock it back and say no. Now I think the rule is dumb & if a club wants to blow up all future picks & never take a first rounder they should be allowed to. However if you have the rule enforce it. Force Port Adelaide to find a first round pick, if that be Houston or another way.

The media just assuming it will be ok’d is interesting the AFL has knocked back clubs previously with the rule around if you trade your future first you can’t trade any other round picks from that draft without getting one back. So I’d like to see the AFL say no, force Port Adelaide to be creative. Especially when they have a first round pick on the table for a player that wants to move.

Port aren’t also a north, wce etc that the AFL needs to help, they are a consistent finalist over the least 5 years, so should be forced to find a first round pick, not the easy way out with the AFL saying don’t worry it doesn’t apply to you

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Back