Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - Wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

He's statistically similar to Nic Newman, granted Nic is 32 so age is not on his side but by the time he's falling off a cliff those 2 18 yos are hitting their 20s. Also think we'll grab another mature age player or two.

Sure would welcome him with open arms given the right price, but he doesn't shift the needle that dramatically, especially if we don't fix issues further up the field and inject some pace.

Yeah he's a Nic Newman clone which is why he just won back to back All Australians guernseys. Come on.

The only way I see Carlton being able to meet the asking price for Houston would be:

• Carlton trade pick 12 to Sydney for 19+22.
  • Carlton trade 14 and 22 to Port for Houston.
  • This leaves Carlton having Houston and end of first round pick 19.

Don't see why Sydney would deal though.

That's basically what we're getting offered by Collingwood, it's not enough. We're better off just keeping him.

Carlton are in position to get a back-to-back All Australian halfback in his prime. A pick in the teens and a pick in the 20s isn't enough.

Makes absolutely no difference unless the Blues are willing to stump up both their round 1 picks.

They didn’t want to earlier in the week so don’t see why that has changed.

Yeah I'd almost say that trade reduces the likelihood of landing Houston. They're not going to pay both 12 and 14, and they now can't offer any meaningful futures.

It does allow them to put 12 on the table on the final day and say "take it or leave it" though.

That's basically what we're getting offered by Collingwood, it's not enough. We're better off just keeping him

I am probably wrong but thought that Collingwood's offer was pick 13 (GC) plus Richards. They don't have 2nd rounder. Anyway, I don't see how Carlton can be in the equation unless there is an additional swap with Sydney.

That's basically what we're getting offered by Collingwood, it's not enough. We're better off just keeping him.

Carlton are in position to get a back-to-back All Australian halfback in his prime. A pick in the teens and a pick in the 20s isn't enough.
I think Carlton's issue is their salary cap is all jacked up hence trying to lose a few players, but have had no bites ,that's the only reason I can think for carlton not to try and do this deal

Yeah he's a Nic Newman clone which is why he just won back to back All Australians guernseys. Come on.
The point is he isn't worth us selling the farm for in an area for us that isn't a massive need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm certain there would be an understanding between Carlton and Houston's management. We don't play stuff through the media as much as we used to.
Maybe. But then why turn your 3rd highest goal kicker into a delist candidate? Not to mention another best 22 player and KPB depth? Screams cap issues and not wanting to advertise it to me.

The point is he isn't worth us selling the farm for in an area for us that isn't a massive need.

2 picks in the teens isn't selling the farm. Picks in the teens are basically a lottery, and they might take years to come on.

Houston will still be one of the best halfbacks and kicks in the league for the next 5 years. Surely your premiership window is while Cripps is still in his prime?

Maybe. But then why turn your 3rd highest goal kicker into a delist candidate? Not to mention another best 22 player and KPB depth? Screams cap issues and not wanting to advertise it to me.
Cap is certainly tight, as most clubs are, but I think there are bigger issues at play with each of those scenarios:
  • Owies is more about list spots and giving opportunities to other small forwards. He is not rated by the LM team at Carlton whereas Voss will always select him because he's a safe option. Handy enough when it comes to kicking goals but doesn't provide much else to warrant giving him the deal he seeks. Zac Williams moving to the forward line has also pushed him out.
  • Kennedy wants to play midfield and we have too many slower types in that area of the ground that are ahead of him. We need to play some quicker types in there to compliment Cripps, Hewett, Cerra. Kennedy has a bit of trade value so it makes sense to let him go to balance out our midfield mix.
  • Lewis Young hasn't been good enough for the past two years. I think the club genuinely just wanted to get rid of him. If he sticks around hopefully this has given him the kick up the arse that he desperately needs.

Cap is certainly tight, as most clubs are, but I think there are bigger issues at play with each of those scenarios:
  • Owies is more about list spots and giving opportunities to other small forwards. He is not rated by the LM team at Carlton whereas Voss will always select him because he's a safe option. Handy enough when it comes to kicking goals but doesn't provide much else to warrant giving him the deal he seeks. Zac Williams moving to the forward line has also pushed him out.
  • Kennedy wants to play midfield and we have too many slower types in that area of the ground that are ahead of him. We need to play some quicker types in there to compliment Cripps, Hewett, Cerra. Kennedy has a bit of trade value so it makes sense to let him go to balance out our midfield mix.
  • Lewis Young hasn't been good enough for the past two years. I think the club genuinely just wanted to get rid of him. If he sticks around hopefully this has given him the kick up the arse that he desperately needs.
Yep they’re all valid issues. I guess the question remains, would you be trying to clear that cap space if there wasn’t an obvious target to fill it/improve the overall list?

Yep they’re all valid issues. I guess the question remains, would you be trying to clear that cap space if there wasn’t an obvious target to fill it/improve the overall list?
I think fitting Houston in would be fine on its own. The bigger concern would be fitting Houston in while also extending Weitering and De Koning. Hence the need to refresh the list/cap slightly.

I am probably wrong but thought that Collingwood's offer was pick 13 (GC) plus Richards. They don't have 2nd rounder. Anyway, I don't see how Carlton can be in the equation unless there is an additional swap with Sydney.
We may or may not have offered a second pick could be our 36 or GCs 23 or 29. It's hard to work out.

Sounds very shaky - Suns LM said two more clubs came with offers just today - other suiters for 14 now after 13.

Scared Dog GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - Wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Back