Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - Wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

He'll also potentially be a three times All Australian.

Stays fit he’s getting 4-5 AA jerseys. Hes the most accomplished HBF in the comp and he hasn’t even reached his peak

Collingwood aren't using anything near what they have. If they want to recruit a contracted Dan Houston, then they need to do what Hawthorn did in 2018 when looking to recuit Chad Wingard. Find a player that is actually worth something and trade them out for more picks or convince them to go to Port.

Bingo the Wingard deal is the perfect prototype for this situation yet Pies fans seem to go with “it’s all we have”. Ed Allen is a WA boy can they get pick 10/11 from Freo for him? There’s one option. I’m sure there’s others on their list too.

Collingwood aren't using anything near what they have. If they want to recruit a contracted Dan Houston, then they need to do what Hawthorn did in 2018 when looking to recuit Chad Wingard. Find a player that is actually worth something and trade them out for more picks or convince them to go to Port.

Bingo the Wingard deal is the perfect prototype for this situation yet Pies fans seem to go with “it’s all we have”. Ed Allen is a WA boy can they get pick 10/11 from Freo for him? There’s one option. I’m sure there’s others on their list too.

I should have said that is likely all we wanted to part with.
There was an opportunity to get Houston, we put forward an offer, and got close with what we had.

Doubt we go much further.

We never pursued him like Hawthorn did with Wingard.

If we miss out on Houston, we'll likely keep Noble. Both are contracted, both with be happy to stay.
This is why the Suns wanted to help Port. Dimma is very keen to get Noble in.

I'm happy with what we have. (PS: Ed Allan is off the table.)

Not just contracted he’s contracted long term. The offer has to be comparable at worst if not better than Rioli. That’s a starting point
completely agree Rioli is worth way less than 6 and to be honest for gc they don’t care because they have their top end talent pipeline available for a collection of low picks. It’s a variation in circumstances that doesn’t necessarily result in Houston being worth more than 6.

Personally I don’t think Carlton or Collingwood have really made an offer of Houston’s value as it stands I think personally he’s worth a pick around 10 but no one has even approached that yet.

If Rioli is worth more it’s not enough sorry it’s not. If the market says Rioli is worth pick 6 plus change then that’s the starting point. I love Rioli but there shouldn’t be lengths between the values. Port will rightly say give us a guaranteed top 10 pick plus another first if you don’t have it how is that Port’s fault you are the ones trying to trade in a contracted AA player. Forget Richards he’s the who cares pick 60 plus steaknives. Port should just trade with GC for Luko and be done.

The one that might unlock it might be a younger player the Pies have that Port really like. Just not sure who Port would want.
We both know Rioli ain’t worth what Gold Coast are shelling out for him. One bad trade doesn’t set the price for all other trades, otherwise the Dogs should be getting three top ten picks for Smith who’s a hell of a lot more valuable than Rioli. No team could afford him or Houston if the Rioli trade somehow sets trade values for the year.

Doubt Port spend a week at the negotiating table with the Pies knowing full well the assets at our disposal if they don’t see a way to get an acceptable deal done. It simply wouldn’t have got this far along if it wasn’t in the ballpark.

We both know Rioli ain’t worth what Gold Coast are shelling out for him. One bad trade doesn’t set the price for all other trades, otherwise the Dogs should be getting three top ten picks for Smith who’s a hell of a lot more valuable than Rioli. No team could afford him or Houston if the Rioli trade somehow sets trade values for the year.

Doubt Port spend a week at the negotiating table with the Pies knowing full well the assets at our disposal if they don’t see a way to get an acceptable deal done. It simply wouldn’t have got this far along if it wasn’t in the ballpark.
Baker looks like getting pick #14

Houston is easily worth pick #6-#8 in this draft

It's all the Pies have to trade. Can't move our F2, but could swap F3 for an F4.

Houston scenario is #19, West Coast F1 (#3 or #4 maybe?), with the Richards steak knives (3 year contract offered).
Luko for F1 seems to be widely accepted, or is that not the case?

Overall I don't think it's that bad compared to what has been bandied around here.

WDYT Port fans?
Jakob Ryan?

Yep it’s Carl or North or Houston can grow a pair and honour his contract which from all reports are he’s fine in doing that. Carlton’s 12&14 would be the minimum and they would have to be flat straight with nothing going back still feel it’s unders. Could Carlton take a late swing if they get pick 3 for the swap with wCE?

Probably needs to grow a new pair since it sounds like his missus currently has possession of the set he was born with.

Gold coast should trade 13 to Sydney for 19,22.
Then trade 6,19,f3 for rioli, 42,43,45.
This should have happened day1, can't now as Richmond have trade those picks to Brisbane.
Sorry, it looks almost like you accidentally left 6 in there with that hypothetical Rioli deal. 🧐

I should have said that is likely all we wanted to part with.
There was an opportunity to get Houston, we put forward an offer, and got close with what we had.

Doubt we go much further.

We never pursued him like Hawthorn did with Wingard.

If we miss out on Houston, we'll likely keep Noble. Both are contracted, both with be happy to stay.
This is why the Suns wanted to help Port. Dimma is very keen to get Noble in.

I'm happy with what we have. (PS: Ed Allan is off the table.)

It doesn’t look like the deal Tom Morris put up yesterday was “close” at all. If every poster on BigFooty could see the imbalance immediately, then Port could as well.

As it stands Carlton basically pulled out of the race a week ago. The media narrative is that Houston wants to go to Collingwood, however we now stand too close to the deadline for that to be true, if he was desperate to go to Collingwood he would have nominated them by now.

Port are milking the clock, they know they can get Houston back to Melbourne and secure a better deal through North. Collingwood will have to put up a comparable deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The interesting part is that Port has 4 players and their managers that they will upset if the deal doesn't go through. They can still get the deals done I guess involving North but I still think this deal goes through maybe with another late pick going Port's way.

Callum Twomey
@CalTwomey
·
Follow
Expecting this to be made official on Tuesday, with Carlton set to land pick No.3, the Eagles to split their pick and on trade 14 to Richmond for Baker. Other parts, such as Matt Owies and more picks, expected to be involved.
Carlton would have to give a lot more to get #3. Surely West Coast go to StKilda and get #8 and a F1 rather than Carltons picks.

completely agree Rioli is worth way less than 6 and to be honest for gc they don’t care because they have their top end talent pipeline available for a collection of low picks. It’s a variation in circumstances that doesn’t necessarily result in Houston being worth more than 6.

Personally I don’t think Carlton or Collingwood have really made an offer of Houston’s value as it stands I think personally he’s worth a pick around 10 but no one has even approached that yet.
Blues interested but not at that price.

I don’t think you can be critical of the Pies here

Houston suits them better than Carlton, could see him integrating nicely there

Plus, they have a game plan that won it in 2023 and a group that believes they can have another crack

What are they meant to do? They can’t trade their older blokes out, there’s no currency in them - if they have the cap space they might as well get some blokes in their mid 20’s in and try have a good dip at it

Yes their youth is compromised but I’d want us to go chips in if we were in their position

You think a 3rd club is just going to throw you a bone to be nice?
What have you got left to bargain with? Can't touch next years picks now.

Carlton would be far better off just taking their current picks to the draft.
So it looks like we now have pick 3;

"There is a midfield crop in this draft that have CV's to die for this year. Jagga Smith, Josh Smilie, Murphy Reid, and obviously Levi Aschroft. It is an incredible crop." - Kevin Sheehan on the unbelievable Midfield crop

I don’t think you can be critical of the Pies here

Houston suits them better than Carlton, could see him integrating nicely there

Plus, they have a game plan that won it in 2023 and a group that believes they can have another crack

What are they meant to do? They can’t trade their older blokes out, there’s no currency in them - if they have the cap space they might as well get some blokes in their mid 20’s in and try have a good dip at it

Yes their youth is compromised but I’d want us to go chips in if we were in their position
No I think we can be critical! :)

They spent this years first & LY second on Lauchie Schultz.

This year bending their backs to bring in Houston costing next years first, Noble & Richard’s (at least).

It’s a gamble (if the trade is resurrected) on moving from 9th to premiers on the back of two mature players added over two years.

The window is one year as likely 5-6 retirements at end next year .

Tassie coming in.

HUGE RISK.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - Wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Back