News David Buttifant appointed as new High Performance Manager - Post #131

Remove this Banner Ad

There are other more obvious reasons why our players appear leaner and don't have the build of other more solid players in the AFL, and that is some clubs have been on the "juice" the last few years and some clubs aren't, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out which clubs are and which clubs aren't. We have to thank our lucky stars that the whistle was blown on one particular club, and ASADA will take care of them ;) .

The other clubs will now quietly shelve their program's if they have not already done so, I'd say most of them did that back in February, if we get David Buttifant, we will slowly close the gap (legitimately) in the next season or so with regard to body shape, as far as Bootsma is concerned might take an extra couple of years.

Imagine if this happens, all the Wobbler fans will accuse us of trying to be "mini" Collingwood even more
3voud8_zpsf8aacbf3.jpg

Yarran is fine body wise but TBH I don't think we'll see a lot of muscle on Bootsma in the years to come, just has one of those bodies, like Warnock.

Should probably build his tank and take the wing option rather than the third defender.

Same with Garlett. Start trying to bulk him up (which I don't reckon you could do anway) and you take away one of his best assets.

It's not so much size you want, a kilo or 2,. It's core strength you want.

It's not so much size you want, a kilo or 2,. It's core strength you want.

Agree the core is important and definitely something anyone can develop. Virtually every kid being drafted would be able to improve their core.

In terms of using someone like Bootsma as a third defender though extra muscle bulk would also be handy, but some body types just don't like adding much of that sort of weight.

You look at someone like Rich who was a tank when he got drafted vs a Yarran or a Robo who have put muscle bulk on.

Certainly a fine line as to what's too little vs enough vs too much.

As Wublues mentioned above you can certainly see a theme at our club of generally leaner bodies which gels with Hughes comment awhile back about recruiting that body type.

Think they've tried to address the need for bigger bodies more recently with the likes of Bell and Cachia coming into the side but while Bell for example is a great size, he needs his brain to work as fast as Maclean's around the ball to take advantage in those low speed, congested situations you find at virtually every stoppage.

Imagine that big body dishing out handballs Diesel style to the likes of a running Murphy (who while being able to play both inside and out is much more damaging on the outside).

Agree the core is important and definitely something anyone can develop. Virtually every kid being drafted would be able to improve their core.

In terms of using someone like Bootsma as a third defender though extra muscle bulk would also be handy, but some body types just don't like adding much of that sort of weight.

You look at someone like Rich who was a tank when he got drafted vs a Yarran or a Robo who have put muscle bulk on.

Certainly a fine line as to what's too little vs enough vs too much.

As Wublues mentioned above you can certainly see a theme at our club of generally leaner bodies which gels with Hughes comment awhile back about recruiting that body type.

Think they've tried to address the need for bigger bodies more recently with the likes of Bell and Cachia coming into the side but while Bell for example is a great size, he needs his brain to work as fast as Maclean's around the ball to take advantage in those low speed, congested situations you find at virtually every stoppage.

Imagine that big body dishing out handballs Diesel style to the likes of a running Murphy (who while being able to play both inside and out is much more damaging on the outside).

The Belldozer doesn't even have to touch the ball to be of immense value. Just keep smashing into the opposition and creating 'paths' for the likes of Murph is his primary role. Slotting crucial goals from 55m on the run is a dead-set bonus! ;)

FWIW Jon Ralph just said on fox footy Buttifant to Carlton is a done deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

.............except for last week. We ran harder.........Reinstate Cordy?

Glad we're being aggressive and getting the right guys to the club.

Now if we could only really in McGuire and Pert, we're done.

Like the rest, I'm still hopeful we can get Lingy. .. If he can translate his attitude to some of our players, we'd be onto a good thing if Buttifant (butt-i-fart?) can get us into the right size as well. ..

Like the rest, I'm still hopeful we can get Lingy. .. If he can translate his attitude to some of our players, we'd be onto a good thing if Buttifant (butt-i-fart?) can get us into the right size as well. ..
Over the weekend on channel 7, lingy has been saying he wants to stay in the media next year with telly and radio. But hey anything could happen in footy, Lingy's Big Red sauce bottle was such a big hit this year though so could go either way :D

I saw Jon Ralph's tweet last night, if it is true it'll be a good get for the club, club starting to build up nicely and hopefully the trade period and the drafts will be even better.

Remove this Banner Ad

News David Buttifant appointed as new High Performance Manager - Post #131

Remove this Banner Ad

Back