List Mgmt. 2025 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Tye Hourigan

He’s the best country footballer I’ve seen. I think he could play in the AFL for sure. He’s 6’3 and a bit, he can play on talls or smalls, he’s an elite mark, he runs a 6:20 2km, he’s got pace, he’s an elite user and he reads the footy better than anyone I’ve seen. There is no weakness.’’
An official from an opposition Gippsland league club said of Hourigan: “Everything is one-touch clean. He kicks the footy like a mule – hits a bloke on the chest with a 60m drop-punt – and he’ll pick the ball up at pace below his knees, sidestep someone coming the other way and off he goes. “He’s as good a key position player as I’ve seen at our level.’’

Charlie Clarke delisted after only two years by the Dogs.

Highly regarded in his draft class, had a decent year at VFL level, still only 20 years old.

Worth a serious look IMO.

Yeah. I saw that too. Really surprising that he’s been delisted after two years. What went wrong at the Dogs? He’s certainly one worth considering.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don't think he would have got stuck there. Player's/their partners usually get to where they want these days. Think it was more that he didn't want to put Port in that position. Would have cost them more.

On SM-G980F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not if we are keeping our first round pick for the draft. They would not have done it for less. That's why his manager did not go this way. Nominating a club does not mean you get there for SFA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think he would have got stuck there. Player's/their partners usually get to where they want these days. Think it was more that he didn't want to put Port in that position. Would have cost them more.

Players only nominate when the club the want to go to is willing to trade fairly for them. The do it to break tight locks. If he nominated us, we would have offered second and third round picks and it would not have got done, he would have ended up at Collingwood last minute or got stuck in SA with egg in his face. It was not a situation where a player nominates.

I remember being so disappointed when we missed out on him on draft nite and ended up with the consolation prize in Harry McKay....
I was on the McKay bandwagon from way back but only because I knew Weideman would slip between our picks. I had him just a smidge ahead. With what we had, I wanted Weitering, Francis (though I pushed back strongly on the idea going around that he'd be a perfect fit for our first pick) and McKay. I never wanted us to draft Schache, not because of anything I saw in his game, I just didn't think he'd pass the interview process.

Last edited:
Players only nominate when the club the want to go to is willing to trade fairly for them. The do it to break tight locks. If he nominated us, we would have offered second and third round picks and it would not have got done, he would have ended up at Collingwood last minute or got stuck in SA with egg in his face. It was not a situation where a player nominates.
Thanks. I was more referring to the being "stuck" at PA, not him nominating or not nominating us.
I just don't think these days that clubs will make a player stay when their heart or mind is somwhere else especially when "partners" are involved, which is why I mentioned it in my initial post.
I was under the impression (be it wrong or not) that the want to get to Victoria was "primarily" driven by his partner. Could be wrong.
There was no way, as I see it, that he was going to nominate us at any time.
He wanted to play for us. Talked with Vossy & Crippa from what I've heard, and they wanted him. Our LM team said no, we are taking a different path. Both Dan and his manager would have been informed of that and probably suggest he go to his next option, which was Collingwood.

Thanks. I was more referring to the being "stuck" at PA, not him nominating or not nominating us.
I just don't think these days that clubs will make a player stay when their heart or mind is somwhere else especially when "partners" are involved, which is why I mentioned it in my initial post.
I was under the impression (be it wrong or not) that the want to get to Victoria was "primarily" driven by his partner. Could be wrong.
He wanted to play for us. Talked with Vossy & Crippa from what I've heard, and they wanted him. Our LM team said no, we are taking a different path. Both Dan and his manager would have been informed of that and probably suggest he go to his next option, which was Collingwood.

I also meant to say that I don't think he was going to nominate anyone, as that would have tied Ports hands somewhat, in that the "nominee" could say "right, give us what we want or he stays where he really doesn't want to be.

I see there are a few potentially handy delisted players getting about.

We have Carroll and Durdin unsigned so there are list spots that could potentially be opened.

Weideman and Granger-Barrass would have to be thoughts for a key defensive opportunity. Would any be better than Silvagni, Young, Lemmy or Durdin? Possibly. Has anyone ever attempted to develop Weiteman as a defender? If we thought we could he could also double as tall forward depth.

As for forwards. Ollie Hotton remains unsigned at St Kilda. I'd be keeping an eye on that one for sure. As swuzzlebubble said earlier, Craven is unsigned as well.

How many times do you see a small forward on the outer one minute and starring the next? Bobby Hill most recently. It comes down to development, coaching and recruitment of small forwards not being that great league wide. Which is why I would love to have Eddie Betts in some kind of role at the club.

Charlie Clarke, I honestly know little about him. The way we are for small forwards. Cottrell, Fogarty, Fantasia, Durdin, Motlop, Hollands, Williams hardly sets the league on fire. Would have to be one to consider. Would he be an upgrade on any of them or more of the same? I don't know. I think next year there will be a clean out involving most of those names and you will see us going hard at small/medium forwards.

I think it was Soapy V who mentioned that we thought there would be plenty of DFA's to look at? Seems that may be the case.

So far 7 players are off the list. Nick Haynes, Matt Duffy, Pick 3, Ben Camporeale and Lucas Camporeale to come onto the list plus 2-4 more. Depending on what we do with Carroll and Sam Durdin. I would think 1-2 more through the draft and possibly sign a DFA or two. I can see why list spots have been important this season. We could probably do with some more really.

Picking up DFA's is not that simple. We will want list spots end of next season. There probably aren't enough players we would want to delist next season OOC so we may run into trouble if we sign DFAs up for more than a year. We have been a little burnt taking cheap players on contracts longer than we would have liked to so getting the player to agree to coming to us may mean we need to offer them two years which we may not want to do.

Just on our contracts. These are our OOC players next year:
Cerra, Saad, Cincotta, Wilson, Kemp, Lord, Hewett, Lemmy, Silvagni, Motlop, McGovern, Newman, Haynes, Fantasia, Monohan, Docherty, DeKoning

Say we want 5 list spots? Cincotta, Lemmy, Fantasia, Monohan, Silvagni off the top of my head? Not all players we want to lose but might anyway. Hope Haynes would go again. Then trade a few? Motlop? Would Docherty and McGovern stay on? Somehow Young, Cottrell and Fogarty have longer contracts than they should.

So the DFA's are probably there but getting them to agree to come to us for only one season may be really difficult if other clubs are going to offer more. We really do need list spots and I can see how long contracts to second rate players are becoming an issue.

Yep, would have only nominated us if the deal was close.

Don't know much about Clarke but it's a position of need.

His stats look OK.
His vfl stats are mediocre.

Far too small a sample size but he played 1 half of AFL footy, in which he had 6 touches, 5 clangers, and of the 807 players who saw AFL action in 2024, he has the lowest rating.

1st round pick only 2 years ago so he could still be okay, but he’d be a train on auditionee for an SSP spot at best

His vfl stats are mediocre.

Far too small a sample size but he played 1 half of AFL footy, in which he had 6 touches, 5 clangers, and of the 807 players who saw AFL action in 2024, he has the lowest rating.

1st round pick only 2 years ago so he could still be okay, but he’d be a train on auditionee for an SSP spot at best
It's hard to tell. Mediocre AFL stats but stats are on the improve over his VFL career. Only two seasons in. You just need to be able to see him play. VFL is not always the competition where small forwards excel. There have been a few over the years who have been stuck in reserves and have just needed time and opportunity. Hard to tell which ones are those ones though.

Perhaps so why say it after the fact.How do the pies feel that they were not his first preference.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
They won't care. Trust me. I know Collingwood supporters. Lived with one for 45 years and believe me, they are all alike when it comes to things that don't suit their agenda. They will simply brush off the fact he wanted to play for someone else before them. It will not enter their thoughts. And because it was us he wanted, as far as Collingwood fans are concerned, well, that is just completely untrue and didn't happen

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2025 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Back