Draft Expert Davo-27's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The question is how can you manage / develop 8 kids at once, plus rookies? It's a tough ask and I'm not sure it's been done successfully at AFL level before
i know the Bulldogs havent been in the bottom 4 for awhile, but thats common practice when you are down there and has seen us(Hawthorn) rebound in 2005-2007 and recently 2021-2023, we turned over between 6-8 each year for 2-3 years approx both times, but not with the luxury of such high picks that Richmond have attained.

Then the rest were all kids 18/19
Lynch , Vlastuin , Broad , Balta , Hopper , Prestia , Nankervis , Short are a level above the GWS senior guys at the time they arrived and only Davies , Scully , Ward were really still playing good level footy

But its the next tier that were missing players 3-4 years in the system that was the difference
But of course they had alot of unknown kids that some played well in their 1st years
The comment was about learn and lean on - all the kids could learn and lean on those players - even if some were at the end of their career.

They also added the Dogs captain - Ryan Griffen, Shane Mumford, Heath Shaw, Josh Hunt and Joel Patful the following year.

The question is how can you manage / develop 8 kids at once, plus rookies? It's a tough ask and I'm not sure it's been done successfully at AFL level before

At least the Richmond development coaches will be well rested. Seems they’ve had the last few years off.

GWS had - Phil Davies, Dean Brogan, Tom Scully, Cal Ward, Chad Cornes, Luke Power and James McDonald. That was a solid core for the players to learn from.
Davis was 21, Scully 20 and Ward 22. Power, McDonald and Cornes were all past it. Brogan was 33 before the Giants played a game.

It would also confirm that Matthew Clarke was still on the Richmond payroll this trade period.
i think you have to make decisions that benefit each party and i think this does(ignoring supporters sometimes), NM get an extra top 10 pick and their man in Tauru and Rich lose a top 10 pick for the privilege of getting the 2 they want, but i understand a lot of people want the best trade they can get or to win trades ect.

if Richmond trades 6 and 10 to NM for pick 2, it means they get the duo they have been wanting in Lalor and FOS, NM get Tauru at 6 and best available at 10.
Or Richmond don't trade, get FOS at 1, Lalor/Langford/Smillie at 6 and best available at 10.
It all depends on how attractive the one specific pairing of Lalor / Fos is compared to the pairing of pick 1 & possible pick 6.

i think you have to make decisions that benefit each party and i think this does(ignoring supporters sometimes), NM get an extra top 10 pick and their man in Tauru and Rich lose a top 10 pick for the privilege of getting the 2 they want, but i understand a lot of people want the best trade they can get or to win trades ect.
I agree with you on this trade, although I think Richmond will ask for a F2 to come back.

It was a dig at Richmond’s our list manager doing the disastrous pick 3 trade.

if Richmond trades 6 and 10 to NM for pick 2, it means they get the duo they have been wanting in Lalor and FOS, NM get Tauru at 6 and best available at 10.
Giving up pick 10 seems a monsterous price to go from Smillie/Draper/Smith to Lalor. I just keep failing to see the win win for Richmond in taking this path.

I can’t see any point in the tigers entertaining anything unless they get massive overs in the trade. I love their draft haul - will absolutely kill it if they stay with precisely what they have.
I agree with this and equally for North also which is I why I dont see a trade happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Expert Davo-27's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back