Injury Dawes Out for 6 Weeks With Finger Injury

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/magpie-dawes-sidelined-with-finger-injury-20110704-1gy4e.html

Collingwood key forward Chris Dawes has injured a finger and will miss up to six weeks of football.
Dawes was subbed out of the Magpies' 41-point win over Hawthorn on Sunday after winning only five possessions and taking one mark.

This a pretty Bad News and Put more Pressure on Cloke but I guess Keeffe will come in now

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/magpie-dawes-sidelined-with-finger-injury-20110704-1gy4e.html

Re: Dawes Out for 6 Week

He has been pretty poor for a few weeks now after a great start to the season. Looks like Brown and Jolly will spend alot more time down there now. I dont think they will bring in Keeffe to play key position in the foward line. As much as i would love to see him play.

Brown would need to stand up now and possibly Wood comes in for him and is a back up ruckman to Jolly.

Keefe can't and won't play up forward.

I imagine we'll re-structure with Leigh Brown as a more permanent deep forward who occasionally rucks and Macaffer will hopefully come in for extra marking power.

Tarrant forward, Keeffe down back.

Gotta try it for a couple of weeks at least.

This is the way I'd go. First of all it provides Keefe with an opportunity to debut and second it doesn't take anything away from our 3 tall structure up forward.

Keefe should be brought in.

As Mick says, all the kids need to learn 'the system'. No better time to give Keefe a go, especially with the form Dawes was in.

Keefe can even go back, with Taz swinging forward.

edit: Beaten.

We have options and thats the good news

Personally I'd pick Keefe and play Taz forward. Or not pick Keefe and rely on our medium size defenders to step up to key position.

But we could also pick Wood and play Brown as a permanent forward.

Or we could play Macaffer and go in with a slightly shorter line-up. Perhaps we'll pick the Caff anyway and drop another player like Rounds.

Tarrant as a permanent forward unnecessarily disrupts a back 6 that is in great collective form atm. Don't like the idea. Plus it gives opposition coaches an extended look at something that could be our Plan B in a final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It isn't good news.

He might not be in the best of form, but he is crucial to our structure.

I expect Leigh Brown to take the bulk of the load up forward now. We need another tough nut to break the packs, and draw defenders away from Cloke.

Tarrant as a permanent forward unnecessarily disrupts a back 6 that is in great collective form atm. Don't like the idea. Plus it gives opposition coaches an extended look at something that could be our Plan B in a final.

An untested plan B come finals isn't a bad idea?

I think Tarrants been around long enough to know what he looks like up forward. While I appreciate the first part of your argument (structures) I dont think the second part (secrets) flies at all. Its just as important for MM to know how Taz will perform in the forward line as it is for opposition coaches.

Agree with Ant and Beast's comments.

Not sure Caff is quite ready to return, I'd go with Johnno and Goldsack.

Dawes hasn't been taking the marks and kicking the goals you would like but there is no denying his importance in the forward line.
That little scare with Cloke on the weekend just shows we need our other big guys down there to help him out.

I wouldn't be totally against getting Wood back in and giving Jolly a bit more time forward.

Plenty of options, Taz of course can go forward and Reidy possibly (he should be confident).

DAMMMMMNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!:(:(

Not Dawesome, oh boy this sucks.

Oh well, onto a solution;

Keep the back 6-7 as is, it's going too well to change.

Bring in MaCaffer, and allow Leigh Brown to basically play Dawes role (outside 50 most of the time). Then just play Jolly more in the forward line in rotation with Leeroy.

That would be my solution anyway.

It's tested, and Mick and co. would know exactly what Tarrant would give us up forward...it's just it hasn't been used for a while, which might throw some teams. Maybe I'm over-thinking it though.

I think you are over-thinking it. Its not tested. Tarrant hasnt played forward at Collingwood for 6 years. I would not like him to be used up forward as a "secret weapon" without at least getting some gametime there during the home and away.

The injury to Dawes allows the club to utilise this option over the next month or so.

Shit house. I think this means Macaffer will be back next week and Brown will get a bit more time in Dawes roles. I think it would be a big gamble shifting Tarrant out of defense and thats the only other alternative with Keeffe going to defense.

EDIT: What mdc said!!

Extremely disappointing due to the fact that he can crash packs of three or four defenders and bring the ball down to our elite runners.

He's one of our pillars in our squad that don't have a straight up replacement and we'll need to restructure unfortunately.

Plan A - Tarrant forward, Keefe back
Plan B - Wood back in, play three talls with Jolly/Brown rotating in the forward line
Plan C - Macaffer in, play smaller
Plan D - Upgrade Reilly or Perham from the rookie list (as Dick is gone for the year this can be done), play the same way

I don't particularly want Tarrant out of the back line against North Melbourne, he destroyed Aaron Edwards in round 2, and Reid would take Petrie you would imagine.

I think you are over-thinking it. Its not tested. Tarrant hasnt played forward at Collingwood for 6 years. I would not like him to be used up forward as a "secret weapon" without at least getting some gametime there during the home and away.

The injury to Dawes allows the club to utilise this option over the next month or so.

Last quarter vs. Adelaide, was a key change which shifted the momentum. As for Dawes, very disappointing, but we will probably bring in another mid-sized forward rotation (i.e. Didak or McCarthy) and just have 1 focal point in Cloke and increased forward time for Brown and Jolly. Would like to see some interesting changes (i.e. Taz up forward and Keefe introduced) but it probably wont happen.

Brown as a permanent forward with Wood coming in. I'd like to see how Wood would perform with Jolly in the side, just so it could say to him, hey if we need you, Jolly doesn't have to be injured for you to play.
This isn't out of the realm of possibility, especially against a very tall North side.

Leeroy could play as a permanent foward, and Wood and Jolly could rotate between the ruck, forward and the bench.

I'm not against this idea, we will beat North no matter what, why not experiment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Dawes Out for 6 Weeks With Finger Injury

Remove this Banner Ad

Back