Injury Dawes Out for 6 Weeks With Finger Injury

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to see Keeffe brought in, even if it's just for experience. It brings more flexibility to the team, whether Tarrant or Maxwell can go up forward, or even Keeffe himself. We can play without a tall in for Dawes but I think it's a good opportunity to bring Keeffe in and see what he can do, especially as a lot of our next few games are looking rather easy.

He played forward for about a quarter in the Adelaide game. Sure, it wasn't a long time, but he played well and kicked two goals. :thumbsu:

Edit: Beaten, doh!

Less than half an hour against one of the comps strugglers doesnt really convince me Taz can waltz up forward in September and succeed. This is the perfect opportunity for him to get some more time working with Cloke.

Will be a tough call really.

We could have Reid down there, but then we'd miss his smooth kicking out of the backline.

Could have Tarrant, but then we lose our rock in defense.

If Nathan Brown were playing, we'd be laughing!

I'm sure we'll win by 10 goals regardless.

As opposed to Tarrant's kicking yips?

And Tarrant has been by far our best key defender. He plays the shutdown role Presti used to, and has played it almost as well. Tarrant allows Reid to play as the loose man, which is probably where he does best. I don't rate Reid anywhere near him as a one on one defender. Tarrant is the most irreplaceable as far as defending key position players goes.
Sorry but Tarrant is a tried and proven forward. If you consider what was expected of Taz when he was at FF for us it's pretty amazing what he achieved with little help. Last time I saw Ben Reid take a set shot I had to close my eyes out of pure embarrassment. I'm happy to leave Taz down back but please don't even consider Ben for a forward role.

Sorry but Tarrant is a tried and proven forward. If you consider what was expected of Taz when he was at FF for us it's pretty amazing what he achieved with little help. Last time I saw Ben Reid take a set shot I had to close my eyes out of pure embarrassment. I'm happy to leave Taz down back but please don't even consider Ben for a forward role.

That kick against Carlton?

He was playing something like his 3rd game in front of 85,000 people.

He's come along so far since then. Just about AA quality.

Intresting situtation.

We need another tall IMO to allow cloke to continue of his form. With dawes out is will give the opposition a good chance to concentrate of cloke.

I wouldn't be suprised if we bought in Wood again. It might be a good spot for him who knows. Oppositions will find it hard to cover jolly,wood,brown rotating

Then again we could bring in keefe or McNamara(if his able). But its anyones guess on how they will perform.

I think the main issue is keeping our 3 talls 3 smalls forward structure.

And i really wouldnt mess with the backline.

We have a fairly easy run bar carlton so this injury shouldnt be to concerning

north
Carlton- main challenge
GC -
ess-
port-

That kick against Carlton?

He was playing something like his 3rd game in front of 85,000 people.

He's come along so far since then. Just about AA quality.
Exactly... at CHB, not at Full Forward. Why on god's earth would you take a guy who's been smashing it at CHB and put him at Full Forward? Got me confused!

Some possible plan B's.

1. brown and jolly interchange ff and ruck, caff comes in and plays as a 3rd extra versatile tall, maybe even sack in the 3rd mid tall role
2. play keefe and release taz
3. play brown down back and release taz
4. play max as a tall at full back, play sack in max's role and release taz
5. play dids as a ff
6. play caff at ff
7. Play tooves as a leading full forward, who could stop him? imagine the cry of tooooooov whenever he marked
8. reid forward, with keefe down back

either way, if the team apply themselves as they always do, we should win all those games without dawes

I would guess that the coaching staff will use this opportunity to bring Keeffe into the seniors.

Having said that, the Caf is going to come back at some time before the end of the season so it will have to be in the next 3 or 4 weeks.

How the rest of it works is a bit of a mystery, but Keeffe could share the ruck and forward duties with Brown. If he isnt working out, then he could be subbed out. If the coaches wanted to experiment with the backline, Keeffe could go down back and other players could have some experience with playing forward.

Less than half an hour against one of the comps strugglers doesnt really convince me Taz can waltz up forward in September and succeed.
are we talking taz as a swingman/pinch hitting fwd (which im cool with) or taz starting as a permanent fwd (which has been advocated itt in dawes' absence)?

i'm all for trialling him for the swingman/pinch hit role over the next few weeks, but i think it's asinine to even consider him as a permanent fwd in dawes' absence when he (and the rest of the defensive group) is in such good form atm.

and even if taz performs well against north in a h&a as a fwd, i wouldn't be convinced of him being able to do the same against geelong in a prelim...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very sad for Dawes, didn't see how it happened.

We'll miss his presence and structure he provides up forward and tarv may not find life quite so good without Dawes attracting a crowd like he does.

Nice to have lots of options though.

I personally favour leaving the backline as is.

Perhaps bring in either Goldy or Caff, and rotate them with Leroy to cover forward, whilst Leroy does his second rucking.

Caff's got to come back soon, he gives the impression he's a guy who takes a few weeks to find his form, he'd be my Plan A.

Some possible plan B's.

7. Play tooves as a leading full forward, who could stop him? imagine the cry of tooooooov whenever he marked

I like :)

When I think of Taz playing forward I definitely see the pinch hitting role more than the permanent one, he is so comfortable down back you don't want to take away any confidence or flirt with form by starting or playing him a decent amount up forward.

Some possible plan B's.

1. brown and jolly interchange ff and ruck, caff comes in and plays as a 3rd extra versatile tall, maybe even sack in the 3rd mid tall role
2. play keefe and release taz
3. play brown down back and release taz
4. play max as a tall at full back, play sack in max's role and release taz
5. play dids as a ff
6. play caff at ff
8. reid forward, with keefe down back

either way, if the team apply themselves as they always do, we should win all those games without dawes

Agree with 5 of the 8.

Dont think 5 is an option, Didak simply doesnt have the fitness form or presence this year.

7 and 8 are pinch-hitting options at best.

And for 4, while I agree with that, I'd add Toovey Goldsack and OBrien to the options. Depending on matchups all can play key defence if pressed.

Simplest option for my mind is to bring in Keefe and Macaffer and leave out Rounds as well of course as Dawes. Play Tarrant at least for this week as a permenant forward. Stick Caff on the sub bench and call him on when required. If Keefe gets smacked, sub him off, drop Taz back, play Brown forward alongside Caff and tell Jolly he's rucking for the rest of the day.

And after that do as we've always done....take it week by week.

I'm not sure if anyone has touched on this but with the way Dawes has been playing recently I think this time off will be really good for him, and could prove perfect timing with getting 3-5 games in and then finals. He should be 100% fit and firing and it could cause huge headaches for opposition teams. It could be a blessing in diguise.

I think first cab off the rank is Tarrant forward and Keefe back (or Goldsack depending on opposition, not many have 2 x KPF)

Alternatively, we can do the same, but swing Reid forward instead. Either way, great opportunity yo get Keefe in.

Shame Nate Brown did that 2nd injury, he could have got a game up forward!

It's a shame for Dawes and for our structure in general. It was just last week that I was thinking that teams would start camping guys in the space in front of Cloke (as Hawthorn did) and that Dawes may have to step up. He has had a fairly quiet couple of months and it may have been the extra focus on Cloke that gave Dawes the space to re-capture some personal form (he has still been playing a fairly solid team role)

If Maccaffer is fit he is the logical replacement. Despite the difference in size Caff's sticky hands in contested situations and Dawes soft hands in the same circumstances mean that LeCafe doesn't play that much shorter than Dawes (he won't get as many free kicks for simply being to big and strong and defenders sweating on getting the best position) Cafe plays the high role with L Brown asked to play deeper forward. For me that is option number 1.

Keeffe is the second option. Although as bad as it is I would be more tempted to use him as a forward (allowing L Brown to still ruck as much as needed) Even though Keeffe has only really shown VFL form as a back I think with the way our side sets up he may still be able to play a role forward.

Like MDC I am against changing a defence that is really gelling well at the moment.

If we were really keen to get more games into Cam Wood and ease the workload on Jolly in some games that could be an option too. Jolly / Brown playing mainly as forwards. Wood taking the number 1 ruck duties. I am not a huge fan of that option. It makes us too tall, but it maybe something we consider (mainly because I am not sure we want Jolly rucking solo just yet and if L Brown is playing mainly as a forward we may use it as a way to manage Jolly)

It's time

911486-lachlan-keefe.jpg

It's a shame for Dawes and for our structure in general. It was just last week that I was thinking that teams would start camping guys in the space in front of Cloke (as Hawthorn did) and that Dawes may have to step up. He has had a fairly quiet couple of months and it may have been the extra focus on Cloke that gave Dawes the space to re-capture some personal form (he has still been playing a fairly solid team role)
It could actually be good for us too. Teams can't plan and experiment with playing that way against us while he's not in the side as they're just guessing and they can't find out if it works or not. Add to that in the last 4 or so weeks leading into the finals teams aren't going to want to do too much experimenting either, that's when they want to be playing to a consistent plan. It could leave us with a fresh Dawes and teams not knowing how to best match him up.

Keefe could come in for his debut, then alternate him in ruck/back/forward, whenever needed, then have Tarrant playing forward or back and Leroy Brown doing his usual utility job. It could play a trick on the opposition, as Keefe, Tarrant and Brown can be quite different players. Also Keefe would be a struggle for the defence to handle with his 204cm frame. I havent seen him play much but I'm assuming he is quite a flexible player (he was drafted as a forward if I can remember correctly)

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Dawes Out for 6 Weeks With Finger Injury

Remove this Banner Ad

Back