Injury Dawes Out for 6 Weeks With Finger Injury

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it interesting that people want to experiment with Tarrant up forward but not Reid? Reid is also a forward turned back and has significantly more confidence than his last stint there.

He got forward against Hawthorn and kicked a nice goal, he's a terrific contested mark as proven, I don't see why that couldn't be equally trialed. Plus Keefe probably has the ability to more naturally replace Reid's role as the CHB that can also create off the backline.

... Its not tested. Tarrant hasnt played forward at Collingwood for 6 years ...

He played forward for about a quarter in the Adelaide game. Sure, it wasn't a long time, but he played well and kicked two goals. :thumbsu:

Edit: Beaten, doh!

Is Young a key forward? I know he was close to coming in against the hawks.
How big is he? I'm not really familiar with him
Ive seen the sack and maxy tried up forward, maxy was horrible but goldsack showed a glimpse of promise
Im not against jolly and brown rotatingthru the fwd line either. Both are more than capable goal kickers, and it's not like Dawes has been troubling the scoreboard much of late anyway

Tarrant as a permanent forward unnecessarily disrupts a back 6 that is in great collective form atm. Don't like the idea. Plus it gives opposition coaches an extended look at something that could be our Plan B in a final.

Kinda agree with this.

Bugger Bugger Bugger!

I guess you have to look on the bright side and imagine what would have happened if Clokey hadn't got back up yesterday and we lost them both. :eek:

Seriously wouldn't like any talk of taking Reid down forward as it would take our one true tall out of the backline and may reintroduce his kicking yips. For me it has to be Taz or Brown taking or sharing Dawes' role and maybe bring in Keefe and Caf.

Is Young a key forward? I know he was close to coming in against the hawks.
How big is he? I'm not really familiar with him
Nah Youngy is more of a tall midfielder or an old style flanker, he just doesn't play "tall enough" to be a KPP.

Plus we have Caff to play that role.

Young is 191cm by the way.

Macaffer makes sense as well but not as dominant in the air as Dawes.

I wouldn't be against experimenting with Keeffe as a forward either.

I'm with Jonesy.

Tarrant as a permanent forward unnecessarily disrupts a back 6 that is in great collective form atm.
Our back 6/7 is a rock. Don't mess with it.

Caff in or Keefe plays forward. It's worth a trial. Lachie is quite mobile and could maintain that pressure. Obviously he doens't provide the beastiness Dawes does but no one, other then Leroy & Trav who are already there, do.

One from left field;

Harry O as a key forward.:eek:

He hasn't been playing that well off half back lately, and if we bought Goldsack back into the side, and Goldy played Harry's role, Harry could play as a permanent forward.

Not only would he be a dangerous option, but he would also placed a massive amount of pressure on the opposition in regards to our forward press.

Just a thought.:cool:

Can anyone confirm if Keefe had a knee injury at the VFL?

We could be talking over an option we just don't have.

I don't think Mick will want us playing two rucks most weeks, but I guess North would be one who you could consider it given their talls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macaffer didn't look match fit on the weekend.
I'd bring in Wood and play Jolly for more than half a game up forward.

This isn't out of the realm of possibility, especially against a very tall North side.

Leeroy could play as a permanent foward, and Wood and Jolly could rotate between the ruck, forward and the bench.

I'm not against this idea, we will beat North no matter what, why not experiment.

do not touch the defence. they dont get bench time, they dont get subbed, they dont get rotated. taz went fwd vs crows when we needed a trigger. it was a novelty that worked.

leroy remains in his current role as mobile gap filler. dont touch him.

jolly needs game time, and thats ruck game time. dont touch him.

keeffe is the logical option up forward IMO. yes i know he plays defence in VFL. yes i know he played defence in NAB cup. BUT again i suspect this is all about teaching him to play, considering his non-afl background and the need to educate him on reading the play and defensive skills that are also needed up forward.

also remember who we play over the next 7 weeks.

north, filth, suns, dons, port, aints, bears.

some very easy games there where debuting the remaining kids should happen. certainly worth a try vs the roos, and keeffe keeps his spot for the filth game and even beyond.

dawes wont be missed as such. will cope very well without him. but its his games that he misses is the cost. hopefully he returns with full confidence and cuts loose on resuming.

There's no need to disrupt the back six by shifting Tarrant.

Sure, we have that card up our sleeve but we don't need to use it unless we absolutely have to.

Macaffer coming straight in is logical to me. He will be able to add some marking power.

Playing all of Wood/Jolly/Brown is non-negotiable for me. We'd look far too top heavy like the Bummers. Dawes is a genuine mobile power forward- Wood is a lumbering ruck. Cannot afford to carry the extra big ruck.

Yank: Not as unlikely as it sounds. He's more mobile than Wood and has experience in the NAB at CHF. Would love to see the dyman in the rough get a game. Mick is all for giving people a go if they have shown form; just not sure if the VFL talls have shown all that much all year.

Leave Tarrant, he is playing great, give Keefe or Young a go,
We need to get our youngsters a go and Keefe has the size to trouble North plus he can ruck so he and Brown could fill the void

How about this

Brown and Goldsack rotate through the forward and 2nd ruck role

One of Goldy's strengths is his leap (it was why he was used on Buddy early in his career) and he's only listed as 1cm shorter than Leigh Brown (194cm v 193cm) so he could at least provide a contest in the ruck against some teams second ruck. Plus he'd give us a little more around the ground than both Brown and Jolly. It would also free Brown up to play as a more permanent forward

The major issue is that if he were engaged in wrestling matches at boundary throw in's and around the ground ball up's he may struggle, however that could be countered if we use a 3rd man up.

Even though I doubt MM will go with it I really like the left field thinking!

Bugger Bugger Bugger!

I guess you have to look on the bright side and imagine what would have happened if Clokey hadn't got back up yesterday and we lost them both. :eek:

Seriously wouldn't like any talk of taking Reid down forward as it would take our one true tall out of the backline and may reintroduce his kicking yips. For me it has to be Taz or Brown taking or sharing Dawes' role and maybe bring in Keefe and Caf.
As opposed to Tarrant's kicking yips?

And Tarrant has been by far our best key defender. He plays the shutdown role Presti used to, and has played it almost as well. Tarrant allows Reid to play as the loose man, which is probably where he does best. I don't rate Reid anywhere near him as a one on one defender. Tarrant is the most irreplaceable as far as defending key position players goes.

Having had some more time to think and read everyone's ideas I'm leaning towards Keeffe or Young. We still have used the least players of all teams, and while we shouldn't play kids just for the sake of it I think now is a good time to give 1-2 new guys a run and see what they can do.

I still think Caff is another week away, although if they say he's ready and play him then that's fine.

Agree that it is probably best to leave the back 6-7 as they are but it is good to know we have guys we can swing forward if required. Not so sure about putting Harry forward but he should have plenty of opportunities to run off half back this week.

I think we can bring in any combination of Johnson, Goldsack, Caff, Keeffe/Young and not lose too much at all.

Edit: Add Wood to that list .

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Dawes Out for 6 Weeks With Finger Injury

Remove this Banner Ad

Back