Injury Dawes Out for 6 Weeks With Finger Injury

Remove this Banner Ad

Jono would have a question mark over him since he just came back from him hammy injury in the VFL last weekend. Got 26 disposals though which is a good sign, but I'd give him another week in the VFL until giving him a call up. I like your thinking with Swanny though, he could be dangerous. The runner could be McCarthy, he also played quite well in the VFL last week after being dropped with 26 disposals.
Last weekend was his 2nd week in the VFL. He played alongside Jolly in his 1st game back but wasn't given a heap of time on the ball.

I think its simple. Its not good at all he's out for 6 but if it was going to happen better now. Or well 3 weeks ago would have been better but the next 6 are easy pickings.

Anywho we should bring in a young forward. Simple as that.

On a negative nelly note having broken my knuckle this year I can say it took about 4-5 weeks to mend and then it feels F*CKING weird for another solid 4 weeks afterwards.

Yes he will come back during that time but dont expect him to go marking stuff as he might have done before, especially with the hands. The finger/knuckle feels ultra weird for many many weeks after the cast comes off. But then again thats just me vs a guy in a high sports/fitness medico environment so hopefully that helps out

What did we do last year when Cloke was out? We don't have to replace Dawes with another big forward. No many side have two big key forwards we are lucky that we do.

If we are smart about it we could play a whole host of players through there like Swan Caf Stack Pendles Thomas. We don't have to just replace Dawes with a permeant forward. Rotate all different players through the forwardline with Cloke and Brown/Jolly also up there. This might give teams a chance to double team Cloke but we just need to find different options going forward and no kick it to him unless he is on.

Whatever we do don't mess with the Back line. It's the best in the AFL and if we are weakened in the forwardline keep our back six strong we get us over the line.

we don't mess with the afl's best defensive unit. leave them to do their usual job. depends on the opposition as to how we structure up the forward line to cover dawes. merit in playing wood and jolly against some teams but not others. macaffer is looking fit again and could easily come back in play and play next to L brown deep in attack. bottom line is that we get so many inside 50's we will still kick a winning score against whoever we play

Brown to FF and Keefe in to Fill Anvil's role just seems logical to me. Keeps the structure in place, without altering personnel too much. And we get to blood another kid. Win Win in my book

My problem with this is that Keeffe has been used almost exclusively in defense so far in his development. His time in the ruck and forward line would = a handful of games. It would be like playing Stanley as a close checking defender on Robertson. You would be taking a massive risk doing this and I think really setting Keeffe up for failure. If Keeffe is brought in defense is the go IMO.

What did we do last year when Cloke was out? We don't have to replace Dawes with another big forward. No many side have two big key forwards we are lucky that we do.

Good point. I remember when Cloke got rubbed out for that elbow against Port and many assumed it would be another tall to come in. In fact from memory, Fraser had kicked 5 in the VFL and many thought it was certain he would come in.

They replaced Cloke with Macaffer and he kicked 3 and we beat the Saints by 8 goals.

As an International rookie, Shae can come straight into the seniors. Has played real well in the Ruck in recent weeks and this would free Jolls up to play forward more. Definitely the most mobile big man in the readies. Fingers crossed.

We do have options,but sad cos it may upset our structures.

Anyway Dawes to back just before finals.Bonus.

We can leave the Anvil down forward and play both Wood and Jolly.

Jolly can play half the game and sub with Wood.

OR

We can introduce and get games into Keefe.

Tarrant plays thrid tall with cloke and Anvil and Keefe in the backline but that could upset our back structure,or will it?

We can also play horses for courses and have Cloke as our main target and bring in Johnson and macaffer.Macaffer is a medium size foraward and can take a grab and kick a few goals.

We do have plan A B C.

I reckon time to give Clokey a rest especially when we play Gold Coast.

My problem with this is that Keeffe has been used almost exclusively in defense so far in his development. His time in the ruck and forward line would = a handful of games. It would be like playing Stanley as a close checking defender on Robertson. You would be taking a massive risk doing this and I think really setting Keeffe up for failure. If Keeffe is brought in defense is the go IMO.

Yeah i see what you mean, i think for me i was looking at it more from a team structure point of view.

Also i dont see a spot opening up for him down back. If he is to become that versatile ruckman/kpp, replacement for anvil type, i would only assume that playing up forward would only strengthen his overall game.

Hes been close at times this year without a position opening up, im just keen to see him on the big stage now that he has a sniff

pretty sure dawes has been carrying a sore right shoulder for a few weeks too so this break will do him good in a way. the hand injury won't affect his ability to run, cycle etc so his aerobic capacity will be up to scratch when he comes back

in a way it's almost a blessing in disguise for dawes to get a freshen up ahead of the business end of the year. he carries such a massive workload for a young player. it is easy to forget that he is still only in effectively his 4th season of senior footy and has only played 40 odd games. he is really still a developing player

As an International rookie, Shae can come straight into the seniors. Has played real well in the Ruck in recent weeks and this would free Jolls up to play forward more. Definitely the most mobile big man in the readies. Fingers crossed.

I reckon Shae because he's worked hard, he's had some experience up forward and in the ruck, and because it's American Independence weekend. It would certainly be a good news story for him, for the club and the entire league. The first American citizen to get a game (Sanford Wheeler was a kid when he migrated over) and doing it in such a special US weekend would be a nice symbolic touch.

Certainly worth a run even for a week or two. We need to find out the truth about whether he would cut the mustard on our list, as he's going to be in the mix to be cut at end of year, and so a few games in the ones will certainly help one way or another.

I'd think if Keefe is injured, maybe Shae to play this week and against Carlton (just for a laugh put him on O'hAilpin) and then blood Keefe against Gold Coast, Essendon and Port.

Just gives us a few more strings to our bow when the whips are cracking in September/October.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tough stuff from Dawesy, playing 3 quarters with a broken knuckle just so the "structures" could stay in place.:)

Hopefully he heals quicker then expected and we see him back with a few rounds left before the finals.:thumbsu:

Extremely disappointing due to the fact that he can crash packs of three or four defenders and bring the ball down to our elite runners.

He's one of our pillars in our squad that don't have a straight up replacement and we'll need to restructure unfortunately.

Plan A - Tarrant forward, Keefe back
Plan B - Wood back in, play three talls with Jolly/Brown rotating in the forward line
Plan C - Macaffer in, play smaller
Plan D - Upgrade Reilly or Perham from the rookie list (as Dick is gone for the year this can be done), play the same way

I don't particularly want Tarrant out of the back line against North Melbourne, he destroyed Aaron Edwards in round 2, and Reid would take Petrie you would imagine.

Like this.....dont want tarrant out of a great defence, until Brown back in 2012

I reckon Shae because he's worked hard, he's had some experience up forward and in the ruck, and because it's American Independence weekend. It would certainly be a good news story for him, for the club and the entire league. The first American citizen to get a game (Sanford Wheeler was a kid when he migrated over) and doing it in such a special US weekend would be a nice symbolic touch.

Certainly worth a run even for a week or two. We need to find out the truth about whether he would cut the mustard on our list, as he's going to be in the mix to be cut at end of year, and so a few games in the ones will certainly help one way or another.

I'd think if Keefe is injured, maybe Shae to play this week and against Carlton (just for a laugh put him on O'hAilpin) and then blood Keefe against Gold Coast, Essendon and Port.

Just gives us a few more strings to our bow when the whips are cracking in September/October.

We dont play carlton for a laugh, we must beat them and then I LAUGH

Looked like he was having difficulties throughout the game.

Real shame because it does ruit the structure. If we had old Jack Anthony he would be the automatic in.

The options as others have made mention include:

1: Bring in Macaffer.
2: Bring in Keeffe and switch Tarrant forward.
3: Cameron Wood in and play L.Brown as perminant forward.

Would personally go with Caff. Needs to come into the side after so long out. Just means L.Brown plays closer to goal and Caff has to play as a marking target which he can do.

The Keeffe solution is interesting because he can come in and Tarrant can play forward which is all within the structure, but personally I feel it is more important to keep Tarrant down back because it is only his first year in that backline group. Needs to continue building that chemistry back there. But it is the opportunity for Keeffe to debut if he is indeed going to this year. More than good enough. Consider.

Cameron Wood because he has played so many games this year will get consideration. But he's not a forward. Can't play the no.2 ruck role. Worst of the options.

I know Dawes has had some knuckle trouble but i have heard that's not really the problem.

Been told the knuckle is what we are lead to believe.Dawes has been down on form for a while,he did have some knee or groin soreness this is what the real problem is .So a 6 week rest will do him the world of good.

He can come back just in time for finals action then have the knee attended to during the off season.

I know Dawes has had some knuckle trouble but i have heard that's not really the problem.

Been told the knuckle is what we are lead to believe.Dawes has been down on form for a while,he did have some knee or groin soreness this is what the real problem is .So a 6 week rest will do him the world of good.

He can come back just in time for finals action then have the knee attended to during the off season.
Yes that hour long surgery he had was totally a useless cover for a leg injury he probably needs surgery on too:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Dawes Out for 6 Weeks With Finger Injury

Remove this Banner Ad

Back