Oppo Camp Death Riding: North Melbourne Tasmania Kangaroo Spooners

Where will North Melbourne end up at the end of 2023?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They fell over the line against West Coast and Freo, who are not exactly quality sides (hell, even we beat them in the preseason matches!) so I'm not holding out any high hopes for North, but damn, even just those two wins will probably end up moving our pick back several places.

At least Gold Coast are doing their part for us :p
True. Pick 23 and 24 would still be a good haul. But giving away our second rounder looks bad now.

True. Pick 23 and 24 would still be a good haul. But giving away our second rounder looks bad now.

That was really the Gold Coast trade - swapped 2nd and 3rd round picks with them to get Dowling.

We gave North pick 23 to get their 2023 2nd pick and pick 59. The whole point was to offload pick 23 so we wouldn't be "forced" to use it to match the Michalanney bid (and we used pick 59 as part of matching it as well) so it's kind of a free hit either way. But still, pick 20-ish would be much nicer than pick 30-ish!

Those bastards really did a number on us.

Possibly so, but not related to the third and fourth round picks. It was pick 5 that hurt. The deal with the 3rd and 4th round picks was a sweetener in our direction, to help us get Michalanney.

Just for the sake of posterity, here is the summary of trades we did:

Trade 1:
Traded in: Rankine, Pick 46, 2023 4th (Fremantle)
Traded out: Pick 5, 2023 3rd (Adelaide), 2023 4th (Adelaide).

Trade 2:
Traded in: Pick 56
Traded out: 2023 4th (Fremantle)

Trade 3:
Traded in: Pick 59, 2023 2nd (North)
Traded out: Pick 23

Michalanney bid: Matched with picks 46, 56, 59 (all received in the above three trades)

Overall, we got Rankine and Michalanney for the price of pick 5, our 2023 3rd and 4th round picks, and agreeing to swap pick 23 to North's 2023 2nd round pick. If North could do the good North thing and finish bottom 4, the last part of that is essentially a wash.

Three other trades unrelated to the above essentially resulted in the following.

Adelaide received: Dowling, Bond, 2023 2nd (Gold Coast)
Adelaide gave up: Frampton, 2023 2nd (Adelaide)

So assuming Adelaide and Gold Coast perform similarly poorly this year, we essentially swapped Frampton for Dowling and Bond. I guess time will tell whether that was a worthwhile trade!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They fell over the line against West Coast and Freo, who are not exactly quality sides (hell, even we beat them in the preseason matches!) so I'm not holding out any high hopes for North, but damn, even just those two wins will probably end up moving our pick back several places.

At least Gold Coast are doing their part for us :p

I blame Howe for coughing up 3 goals in the last quarter, was the guy who also kicked it to the boundary line in the dying seconds as well. On a serious note, two hot games in a row, was 37ish last week and around 30 in Perth and muggy, was kind of expecting us to run out of gas a bit.

LDU in good form and Cunners back in the middle, Powell also bulked up and playing Zurhaar in the middle, kicked 12 and 11 goals, need to push it to around 15 otherwise going to drop winnable games I think. Our forward entries are still a bit dogshit, I think we would score more if we played Zurhaar and Sheezel forward, what to do... Sheezel has been great down back and Zurhaar been good in the midfield.

I am expecting us to collapse in a hole and plummet down the ladder after some more injuries, but atm it has been a positive start.

I blame Howe for coughing up 3 goals in the last quarter, was the guy who also kicked it to the boundary line in the dying seconds as well. On a serious note, two hot games in a row, was 37ish last week and around 30 in Perth and muggy, was kind of expecting us to run out of gas a bit.

LDU in good form and Cunners back in the middle, Powell also bulked up and playing Zurhaar in the middle, kicked 12 and 11 goals, need to push it to around 15 otherwise going to drop winnable games I think. Our forward entries are still a bit dogshit, I think we would score more if we played Zurhaar and Sheezel forward, what to do... Sheezel has been great down back and Zurhaar been good in the midfield.

I am expecting us to collapse in a hole and plummet down the ladder after some more injuries, but atm it has been a positive start.
Living the dream under Clarko...while we look on 0-2

Living the dream under Clarko...while we look on 0-2

After the dogs pulled our pants down in the second pre-season game I thought you guys would have a really strong start to the year and we would have a sluggish start. Dogs went from millionaires in that game against us to looking woeful, footy is a strange game.

I still can't see anyone getting close to Hawks for the spoon.

Far more inexperienced than any other side.
that was paying 6-1 in early March and I couldn’t resist. Sportsbet actually offered me the “cash in” option at 3.75 before round 3 which I decided to take…even though Hawks still likely spooners

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Death Riding: North Melbourne Tasmania Kangaroo Spooners

Back