Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Super-mega-ultrathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why we didn't draft Carlisle, I don't know how he used to play as a junior.

But the guy is a superstar in the making, it was a massive draft blunder and really... we should of taken him. He is Adam Hunter but much much better, more agile and taller...

Seriously, I think you need to get over this. A lot of other teams did too. It's easy for you to say this now. What if the punt came off and weadon became a superstar. would you still be saying we should have took black. Carlisle was no better a prospect than Tony notte as a tall and you still go on about taking him, you can't look into the future 3 years when looking at these kids. You win some, lose some. Same at every club. Imagine if you were a Melbourne supporter

Cool Burn:p

I don't know why we didn't draft Carlisle, I don't know how he used to play as a junior.

But the guy is a superstar in the making, it was a massive draft blunder and really... we should of taken him. He is Adam Hunter but much much better, more agile and taller...

KPP depth.

Seriously, I think you need to get over this. A lot of other teams did too. It's easy for you to say this now. What if the punt came off and weadon became a superstar. would you still be saying we should have took black. Carlisle was no better a prospect than Tony notte as a tall and you still go on about taking him, you can't look into the future 3 years when looking at these kids. You win some, lose some. Same at every club. Imagine if you were a Melbourne supporter

This. Carslile was an athletic and skinny tall. Stuck somewhere in between being a key forward or back and being a ruckmen.

I think that's pretty much the thought process: It'd be easier to sign Brown for 3 than chance obtaining another player.

Low risk, Low reward.

I think it's more low risk medium reward. Brown isn't as bad as some are making out and yeah he's had some shit games but he's also had some good games against top tier forwards.

Which makes the decision to overlook Carlisle and instead take Weedon & Stevens even more unforgivable...

That said, I'd rather wing it Hunter style with an undersized or makeshift solution rather than give 3 years to a bloke who just got pantsed by Jessie White.

Browns in his 7th year and he's ordinary. Signing him for 3 years cos we are scared just compounds past errors

Not drafting Carlise might look bad in hindsight but irrelevant to the state of play now.

Despite all the doom and gloom this year we are closer to a flag than some think (shit we were favourites at the start of the year). Moth ball those struggling getting them right for next year, have a decent trade/draft period and we will be a chance again next year and having Brown as our #3 KPD (or #2 if Glass retires) is a shit load better than.. erm.. Schofield or any of our other unproven KPPs.

Not drafting Carlise might look bad in hindsight but irrelevant to the state of play now.

Despite all the doom and gloom this year we are closer to a flag than some think (shit we were favourites at the start of the year). Moth ball those struggling getting them right for next year, have a decent trade/draft period and we will be a chance again next year and having Brown as our #3 KPD (or #2 if Glass retires) is a shit load better than.. erm.. Schofield or any of our other unproven KPPs.

We differ on closeness to a flag and having brown as a key defender puts us further away...

I'd rather take the pick 16 that turned up too late last year (similar this year) and try and sort out a better drafting team and nail some quality players.

Cos this list ain't cutting it at all

So you are in agreement with a bloke suggesting recruiting staff are basically pointless? Awesome

He didn't say that in his post. Clubs that haven't spent resources have struggled to build competitive lists, that's a fact.

Most talls have more physical development ahead of them than smalls and thus the margin for error when it comes to drafting talls is a lot higher. That's the part i agree with.

We differ on closeness to a flag and having brown as a key defender puts us further away...

I'd rather take the pick 16 that turned up too late last year (similar this year) and try and sort out a better drafting team and nail some quality players.

Cos this list ain't cutting it at all

Fair enough, everyone sees things differently.

I look at our forward line and we have Kennedy, Darling and LeCras holding it down.. not too shabby.

Rucks? Last year's AA who fit is the best ruckman in the comp. Cox is slowing down but still better than most and Lycett and Sinclair have shown glimpses (Sinclair isn't a pure ruckman in my mind but I digress).

Mids.. we need pace but Shuey, Masten, Scooter, Gaff, Wellingham is a good core. Priddis isn't as horrible as half this board thinks and plays his role (again in my opinion). With Kerr's body shot we're lacking a genuine A-grader but I think a couple of those above can get there.

E-Mac has taken his game to another, Hurn was taking the next step before getting injured and Schoey as a rebounder works. Waters (minus the shithouse disposal this year) is still a huge asset, plus we have a soon to elite KPD in Brown. ;)

Trade and draft well for needs and we should be back up there next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He didn't say that in his post. Clubs that haven't spent resources have struggled to build competitive lists, that's a fact.

Most talls have more physical development ahead of them than smalls and thus the margin for error when it comes to drafting talls is a lot higher. That's the part i agree with.

He said you can't look into the future 3 years....

Of course there's more margin for error... That's what recruiters jobs are based on

He said you can't look into the future 3 years....

Of course there's more margin for error... That's what recruiters jobs are based on

Thanks. But you're obviously not going to get the point that Carlisle was a pretty unremarkable tall.

Thanks. But you're obviously not going to get the point that Carlisle was a pretty unremarkable tall.

I'm well aware of what he was. Essendon recruiters saw something ours didn't. They have been proved right. We haven't..

Where's the blowback on our recruiters for their poorish efforts?

Name one top notch game where HE beat a top tier forward

Justin Westhoff in round 5 this year. Held him to 13 possessions,2 marks & he kicked just 1 point for the game.

Westhoff was in red hot form at that point in the season. In round 4 he had 20 possessions,11 marks & kicked 3 goals 3 behinds; round 3 he had 24 possessions, 8 marks & kicked 4 goals 4 behinds; round 2 he had 25 possessions, 14 marks & kicked 5 goals 2 behinds.

Name one top notch game where HE beat a top tier forward

Round 23, 2012 on Franklin.
Franklin started off with a flurry, kicking 4 in the first quarter (two on Brown including a ping from 60, two on Glass/Schofield when Brown was off with a poke to the eye) as the team leaked clearances left, right and centre on the way to a 34 point deficit at quarter time.
Brown wore him like a glove, keeping him goalless and to 5 marks for the last three quarters.

Is this serious?????

That's EXACTLY what recruiters are paid to do I.e look into the future... that IS their only job.

The teams with the best most talented lists tend to be the ones who do it best.

Regardless, thanks for ignore the main aspect of the post..

It really gets hard to stay engaged on here with the sheer volume of moronic drivel.. Any chance of raising the standard of poster mods or are we staying with the "all opinions are valid" "he tries hard" nonsense?

Over & out ...

Maybe you should be a man of your word and exit this board and then the rest of us would be spared your negative and sarcastic posts

Why would we have taken Carlisle in that draft when we had taken 3 KPD s a couple of drafts before and had glass ! We took weedon on talent as a punt and koby as a injured recruit that slipped down the draft ! Lets move on

Justin Westhoff in round 5 this year. Held him to 13 possessions,2 marks & he kicked just 1 point for the game.

Westhoff was in red hot form at that point in the season. In round 4 he had 20 possessions,11 marks & kicked 3 goals 3 behinds; round 3 he had 24 possessions, 8 marks & kicked 4 goals 4 behinds; round 2 he had 25 possessions, 14 marks & kicked 5 goals 2 behinds.

Westhoff's form early season was massively overrated, Port had played about the 4 worst teams in the comp IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back